• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2020 7:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2002
324 posts
202 upvotes
Victoria, BC

[Amazon.ca] Eero Mesh Networking Systems Sale 20-22% Off

It looks like Amazon is having a sale on one of the best rated mesh wifi networking systems out there.

Eero Pro Plus One Beacon $319 (20% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B0741XXF9Q

Eero Pro Plus Two Beacons $439 (20% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B074223LFY

Eero Pro 3-Pack $543 (22% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B0741ZX2DT

The main difference is that the Beacons only have dual band (1x2.4 ghz and 1x5 ghz) while the Pro units have triband wifi (1x2.4ghz and 2x5ghz) and two ethernet ports. The triband will be more useful for maintaining full speed since the units can use one of the fast 5 ghz bands as a dedicated connection to each other. The pros also allow wired backhaul to maximize performance between the units.
Last edited by hiredmuscle on Jun 13th, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
161 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2975 posts
491 upvotes
Alberta
Until these mesh systems allow SSID splitting (2.4 vs 5 ghz) they're no good for power users imo.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
scouzer wrote: Until these mesh systems allow SSID splitting (2.4 vs 5 ghz) they're no good for power users imo.
I actually never liked running separate banded SSID's. I know you want to "force" a device to go to a specific band (usually trying to force 5ghz) for speed but then you run into issues with having a less reliable signal when 5ghz drops off and you don't have your 2.4ghz ssid saved on your device and you get disconnects.

In anycase, eero has a band steering feature that will try to make sure a 5ghz device stays on 5ghz all while keeping the SSID the same across the bands.

Also, hopefully no one has the illusion that mesh systems are for power users. they're meant for ease of setup and reliability which eero does in spades.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
hiredmuscle wrote: It looks like Amazon is having a sale on one of the best rated mesh wifi networking systems out there.

Eero Pro Plus One Beacon $319 (20% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B0741XXF9Q

Eero Pro Plus Two Beacons $439 (20% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B074223LFY

Eero Pro 3-Pack $543 (22% off)
https://www.amazon.ca/eero-Home-Wi-Fi-S ... B0741ZX2DT

The main difference is that the Beacons only have dual band (1x2.4 ghz and 1x5 ghz) while the Pro units have triband wifi (1x2.4ghz and 2x5ghz) and two ethernet ports. The triband will be more useful for maintaining full speed since the units can use one of the fast 5 ghz bands as a dedicated connection to each other. The pros also allow wired backhaul to maximize performance between the units.
Just a quick protip:

There's an eero pro + 2 beacons + free echo dot package for the same price as the eero pro + 2 beacon package. If you purchase the package with the free echo dot, on your invoice, the echo dot will have some value on it and you can return the echo dot and get back that money, there by reducing the total cost package.

I purchased a 3-pack 2019 eero + free echo dot for $279 a few weeks ago. the echo dot had a value of ~$55. I initiated a return on the echo dot and got back the $55 which brought the total cost down to $225 which was the black friday cost of the 3-pack 2019 eero and the lowest it's ever been. covid related reduced workforce may have played a role.

So the eero pro + 2 beacons @ $440 can possibly be had for $385 + tax (which just so happens to be the BF price according to CCC/Keepa)

YMMV depending on what value amazon assigns the echo dot on your invoice. The $55 cost of the echo dot i got seemed kinda arbitrary.

Also, it seems worth to note that eero has a dynamic backhaul technology which allows it to use any of it's radios to talk to each other which makes dual band eeros still pretty competitive. In other dualband and tri-band mesh systems, you only get a single radio for backhaul that basically introduces a single point of failure. THat radio is usually 5ghz which is notoriously easy to block forcing you to put nodes closer together to be optimal. Eeros on the other hand will be more reliable at the cost of a little bit of speed and you can place them where ever you really need. So you don't have to go pro's everywhere.

That's my 2c.

edit: just noticed the 2019 3-pack dual band non-pro eero's are back on sale for $279 with the echo. This can be had for $225.

edit2: I'm going to sound like a shill, but another good thing about eero's is homekit support. you can segregate all your homekit devices with a click of a button via homekit.

so here's my anti-shill speech: Some potential cons of the eero system: It's owned by amazon (as of fall 2019). so there's fear your usage data will be gobbled up by amazon. Eero has explicitly stated they are NOT sending anything to amazon. Also, eero system is very simple so not a lot of options to customize. So "power users/tinkerers" beware. this is *not* dd-wrt or ubiquiti. One last final con: setup/config can only be done via smartphone app. no local browser support. Another thing: they offer addtional services via paid plans. google eero secure and secure+. It's basically paid adblocking and parental features. it's a money grab imo. luckily, i don't need it.
Last edited by mr_yellow on Jun 12th, 2020 11:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2975 posts
491 upvotes
Alberta
mr_yellow wrote: I actually never liked running separate banded SSID's. I know you want to "force" a device to go to a specific band (usually trying to force 5ghz) for speed but then you run into issues with having a less reliable signal when 5ghz drops off and you don't have your 2.4ghz ssid saved on your device and you get disconnects.

In anycase, eero has a band steering feature that will try to make sure a 5ghz device stays on 5ghz all while keeping the SSID the same across the bands.

Also, hopefully no one has the illusion that mesh systems are for power users. they're meant for ease of setup and reliability which eero does in spades.
The trouble is, at least in my house, 2.4ghz is virtually unusable. It's not just slow, it's horrible - less than 5 mbps within 10 feet of the router and very unstable.

So I need only my legacy and low tech devices to use 2.4ghz, everything else needs to be forced onto 5ghz.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
scouzer wrote: The trouble is, at least in my house, 2.4ghz is virtually unusable. It's not just slow, it's horrible - less than 5 mbps within 10 feet of the router and very unstable.

So I need only my legacy and low tech devices to use 2.4ghz, everything else needs to be forced onto 5ghz.
eero's band steering may help in your case. but for your current setup, how much have you tweaked it? have you played around with your transmit power? Have you customized your band? 5mbps at 10 feet seems a little ridiculous. In anycase, you may want to retire some of your legacy gear. that may be the culprit.
Aug 22, 2007
101 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
mr_yellow wrote: I actually never liked running separate banded SSID's. I know you want to "force" a device to go to a specific band (usually trying to force 5ghz) for speed but then you run into issues with having a less reliable signal when 5ghz drops off and you don't have your 2.4ghz ssid saved on your device and you get disconnects.

Anyone claiming that mesh systems are or aren't for "power users" doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

That's a meaningless claim that means nothing to anyone in any context.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
Penguin Warlord wrote: Anyone claiming that mesh systems are or aren't for "power users" doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

That's a meaningless claim that means nothing to anyone in any context.
The benefit of mesh systems is ease of setup and use at the cost of features and customization. That's pretty anti-power user. If you're looking to tweak transmit power or pick specific bands or whatever, then mesh systems (at least the eero one) isn't for you. as far as I understand, the majority of the mesh systems are the same.

Hope that provides the context you're looking for.
Last edited by mr_yellow on Jun 12th, 2020 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14713 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Honestly, I have started to become really impressed and humbled by what Linksys has offered via Velop series of mesh devices. It allows you power user access through a special menu, where you can change bands, split 5 vs 2.4 and even run diagnostics straight at OS level to see full stats from Linux based os.

And funny how when I had read the initial reviews, it was all bad years ago and now they are one of the top in market. Try to see if you guys can score a velop mesh network.

As again, majority of reviews on mesh networks are also by total noobs. So essentially mesh networks work, placement of nodes matters and your devices need to be bleeding edge for the most bleeding edge AC/AX bands.

Blaming the router when your Samsung can only pull in 150-180mbps due to power conservation.. Is user error
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
That's pretty cool.. didn't know velop had customization like that. They should advertise it better cause the last time I checked, it was a locked down experience which didn't justify the cost.
Dec 3, 2003
98 posts
39 upvotes
For those looking for a mesh system, this one is highly rated. On sale for $279 for the 3 pack + echo dot.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2014
2248 posts
2359 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
they even let you return the echo dot if you dont want it. I got the ring camera with echo dot, we decided not to keep the echo, and they have an option to return it (if you choose to) you get about $30 for it refunded
Mar 10, 2012
42 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
junglemage666 wrote: they even let you return the echo dot if you dont want it. I got the ring camera with echo dot, we decided not to keep the echo, and they have an option to return it (if you choose to) you get about $30 for it refunded
oh, that's good to know!

for anyone who is looking for more than the 23 reviews, there's ~2,600 on Amazon US
I'm definitely considering it.
Dec 18, 2017
211 posts
116 upvotes
GVA
I can't connect many of my "smart" items on a meshed system. I need a separate 2.4Ghz SSID so that is why I am happy with my multiple VLANs I have set up with my Unifi setup. Also provides segmentation for security.