Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Eero Mesh Wifi Systems ($279-$543)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 9:51 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
Is it possible your ISP's modem/router is no good? What is your ISP and what is the model of the modem? maybe there's a way to set it up as *just* a modem and disable the gateway/router functionality. Does that mean you're running eero in bridge mode?

How big is your home? Maybe 3 nodes is not enough?

Do you have other people or appliances on the network? You may want to enable Optimize for voice and video conference if someone is consuming all the bandwidth.

You may also want to enable band steering.

You also didn't specify what device you were using in your testing. Also, how old is your home? what is it constructed out of? dense stuff like brick,rock,metal will block signals and create deadzones.
lemonboy wrote: 1. C7 was the old router I am using to compare with the Eero. Bridged a modem/router combo and using cat6 to connect to eero.
2. No extenders. Regular suburbs
4. Right now it’s set up in a “V” shape throughout the house.
5. I will try this.
6. Will try.
7. By “spotty” I mean the wireless bars on a phone or laptop would drop (full to 2), pages take longer to load downstairs than upstairs, sometimes have to switch to data instead of home wifi for work meetings.
8. I will try rearranging the eeros. All are away from other electronics on their own stand.
Jul 22, 2020
10 posts
1 upvote
Lemon Tree, ON
mr_yellow wrote: Is it possible your ISP's modem/router is no good? What is your ISP and what is the model of the modem? maybe there's a way to set it up as *just* a modem and disable the gateway/router functionality. Does that mean you're running eero in bridge mode?

How big is your home? Maybe 3 nodes is not enough?

Do you have other people or appliances on the network? You may want to enable Optimize for voice and video conference if someone is consuming all the bandwidth.

You may also want to enable band steering.

You also didn't specify what device you were using in your testing. Also, how old is your home? what is it constructed out of? dense stuff like brick,rock,metal will block signals and create deadzones.
I am with Fido using the CGN3 modem. I disabled the gateway and connected the Eero gateway node to it. I will experiment with the router. Thank you.
“when life gives you lemons, take them, and be nice to limes.” ― Elder Lemon
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14191 posts
5389 upvotes
Ottawa
Since the Eero 6 was announced....I'm wonder if it would make sense to buy this and add it to an exisitng Eero system (i.e. 3 cupcakes on each floor of the house)

Or I should just go full Eero 6 instead with new Eero 6 + 2 extenders.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: Since the Eero 6 was announced....I'm wonder if it would make sense to buy this and add it to an exisitng Eero system (i.e. 3 cupcakes on each floor of the house)

Or I should just go full Eero 6 instead with new Eero 6 + 2 extenders.
If you're comparing the dual band cupcake and the dual band eero 6, the extra cost gets you 200 Mbit/sec of throughput (only to wifi 6 devices), Wifi 6 support, an IoT radios (zigbee). But you also lose ethernet ports in the eero 6 extenders.

personally, losing the ability to hardwire the other nodes is not worth the other benefits. but that's just me. I don't have many wifi 6 devices and don't care about zigbee. Also, the current cost of for the eero 6 + 2 extenders ($400) is way more than what I paid for my 3pack cupcake eeros ($225). If you go with 3x eero 6 to get the ethernet ports back, that's $180x3=$540. crazy. Maybe these are marked up prices and prime day will have a big sale. Probably 20%? That's still $430.

I actually use the ethernet ports on all three of my cupcakes (2 are hardwired, and a third is connected to a switch to provide network access to a wifi-less desktop and printer. I figure I can always add wifi 6 nodes later when I do want wifi 6 support and still keep the other nodes in use.

This is actually the first time I've analyzed the eero 6 product line. I'm quite confused why they priced themselves so high. The beauty of the cupcake eeros was that it was decent performance for relatively low price. There's no equivalent wifi 6 product offering. I guess they're still relying on cupcake eeros filling that gap.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14191 posts
5389 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_yellow wrote: I figure I can always add wifi 6 nodes later when I do want wifi 6 support and still keep the other nodes in use.

This is actually the first time I've analyzed the eero 6 product line. I'm quite confused why they priced themselves so high. The beauty of the cupcake eeros was that it was decent performance for relatively low price. There's no equivalent wifi 6 product offering. I guess they're still relying on cupcake eeros filling that gap.
yah, I am leaning toward just going for 3 pack dual band Eero for best value. I am waiting for prime day to see what's up. I don't have anything yet, mostly hoping to replace my R7000 which has been flakey lately. So was thinking about just getting the 3 pack and adding Eero 6 nodes later when there is a good deal. Having hardwire is nice, since I prefer to have my NVidia shield hardwared as its cinnection is inconsistent in the tv cabinet.

Will have iPad and Desktop with Wifi6 but I'm don't feel extra speed is pressing.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 3, 2011
117 posts
15 upvotes
How does this compare to deco m4 currently at $170? I can wait till BF or BD and expecting around $150 (normally, I don't want to invest more than $100 but these things don't come down).

I only need coverage and reliability. Currently, I have Archer C50 which is good for me but coverage is not.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
3-pack cupcakes are $244 right now. I'd recommend it over tplink.
Nov 3, 2011
117 posts
15 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: 3-pack cupcakes are $244 right now. I'd recommend it over tplink.
Thanks. I thought I was posting on other thread and your post made me realize I am on the wrong thread (was looking for tplink comments or a similar question in here). Price is the factor and I have hard time justifying the price difference. I found this comparison and am not sure how objective these are. https://techprojournal.com/tp-link-deco-m4-vs-eero/
Nov 19, 2016
403 posts
204 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: 3-pack cupcakes are $244 right now. I'd recommend it over tplink.
Thanks - you've been quite helpful to all the folks looking into this.

/me is still on the fence between eero pro or eero cupcake..
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
tanerci wrote: Thanks. I thought I was posting on other thread and your post made me realize I am on the wrong thread (was looking for tplink comments or a similar question in here). Price is the factor and I have hard time justifying the price difference. I found this comparison and am not sure how objective these are. https://techprojournal.com/tp-link-deco-m4-vs-eero/
I don't know that techprojournal site but it reads like a bad tplink ad. He gets some details wrong. it does have QoS. It also sounds like he was super budget conscious and didn't like the subscription eero secure plan (i don't like it either). The crazy deviation in speeds 194/36 vs 500/300 sounds almost made up. Wifi performance is a HUGE YMMV so I've always recommend try it out first. the M4's may be perfectly suitable for you. most people grossly overestimate their wifi requirements.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
MisterTeee wrote: Thanks - you've been quite helpful to all the folks looking into this.

/me is still on the fence between eero pro or eero cupcake..
the only difference between the pro and the cupcake is the additional 5ghz radio which only helps when you have multiple 5ghz clients.. If you find you have 2+ 5ghz devices streaming concurrently, the eero pro will essentially "double" your speed over the cupcake. but if you're in a home and it's just you streaming or you rarely ever have more than 1 devices streaming concurrently, then the cupcakes will perform the same.