Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Eero Mesh Wifi Systems ($279-$543)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 9:51 pm
Jan 1, 2018
82 posts
34 upvotes
rinse wrote: I went from Netgear Orbi (base + 2 satellites) to 3 Eero Pros and the difference is night and day.

Go with the Eero

Why is that? The specs on the rbk 23 look better. The rbk can be bought at walmart for 250
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
I run the 3 pack cupcakes and love them. A few updates since the last thread:

1. They introduced a mode to temporarily disable 5ghz to allow for crappy IoT devices that have issues connecting when a shared SSID is on both bands.
2. If you have many devices 5ghz devices that need fast speeds concurrently, go with the pros. Their extra 5ghz radio basically doubles the capacity at 5ghz. If youre a single device household, the regular eeros are equally as fast as the pros.
3. Eeros true mesh tech is second to none. Essentially each Node uses all available bands when talking to each other and your devices. Dynamic backhaul increases reliability. It’s layer 2 networking so it’s down to the packet level. Different traffic may take different routes that are optimal to the type of data. Don’t get too caught up on the triband vs. Dual band differences. True mesh alleviates most issues with the dual band hardware.
4. Whenever eero releases wifi 6E nodes, they should be compatible with existing eero hardware. FYI all other systems require you to swap out entire systems for new ones that support new standards. The way truemesh works, wifi 6 just becomes another radio/connection for it to use. This is conjecture on my part so take it with a grain of salt.
5. All the nodes in the 3 pack are identical. None of this master/client setup you have with other mesh nodes. You can setup your house with 2 nodes and give the third to your friend to setup in their house separately.
6. This is the only HomeKit router compatible device on the market if that matters to you.

Don’t get caught up in pure speed tests. Eeros may not deliver the fastest speeds over a single more powerful wifi 6 router, but having multiple APs not only Increases coverage, it load balances devices across APs so your wifi device is not competing with as many other devices on the same band. It only takes one bad wifi device to bring a single wifi router to its knees. Not so with eero or other mesh systems. Also, eeros simple setup and config is something to be aware of. If you’re the tinkerer type, go buy ubiquiti hardware.

Hope that helps anyone on the fence.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: Why is that? The specs on the rbk 23 look better. The rbk can be bought at walmart for 250
The short answer is that eeros truemesh tech is superior to all other dedicated backhaul mesh systems.
Jan 1, 2018
82 posts
34 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote: The short answer is that eeros truemesh tech is superior to all other dedicated backhaul mesh systems.

So does this apply if not using ethernet backhaul and just using as access points?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4411 posts
2363 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Wirecutter review

The low price Eero doesn't look that great.

The pro version though look really good

CNET

If you know a very small bit of French, this also test popular mesh. The Eero in this test is the non-pro version

https://infogram.com/netgear-orbi-rbk10 ... 3gyv90g4xr

I personally went with the 229$ on sale RBK13. Still testing it. I'm not sure if I'll keep it even though it gives me 120mbps everywhere (max speed I can get at my house) and it look reliable. Before that i had the Asus AC-86U but it failed to give me reliable performance at the end of the house. Daisy chain mode helped for that on the RBK.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14193 posts
5391 upvotes
Ottawa
my single router sometimes needs to be rebooted and it's annoying, I want to give one of these mesh systems a try.

not in a rush, so is Prime Day the best time to jump in? There was a comment above about Prime Day having a $275 price for Pro+2x B pack. I'm looking for the 3X Pro pack

My Car also is in a dead spot when in parked in the front of the house so hoping to improve coverage for that.
Last edited by warpdrive on Aug 15th, 2020 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8488 posts
4310 upvotes
bosoxfanx wrote: amazon customer service is so poo sometime.
they wont offer price adjustments for these even though I bought 1+1 beacon a few days ago for $80 more
but sucks for them, I just bought new one and gonna return the old one.. hurray for more garbage in the world

thanks OP
I honestly dgaf about Amazon anymore. If they're not willing to budge, just do rebuy and return. They've been gouging consumers and other vendors since the pandemic has started. I had to jump through hoops just to cancel a Starz channel from Prime Video.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1556 posts
626 upvotes
Center of the univer…
warpdrive wrote: People were able to return the Echo Dot and get some money back. In the previous thread it was mentioned it was $55 back, but I just checked out and it's marked as $31 for the Dot in the 3 pack.

For $225 it seems like a sweet deal but now it;s slightly more....$248 for the 3 pack IF you return the DOT. Since it looks like they caught on somewhat, I wonder if there is anything preventing you from returning it going forward?
Even back in June I know it was mentioned that you would get $55 back but when I did it, I only got back $30ish as well bringing the final price to $248. With that said, after testing I ended up returning eero and settled with velop dual band for the same price. Velop offered extra flexibility in terms of isolating 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSID etc...
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
3434 posts
1344 upvotes
Grimsby
warpdrive wrote: my single router sometimes needs to be rebooted and it's annoying, I want to give one of these mesh systems a try.

not in a rush, so is Prime Day the best time to jump in? There was a comment above about Prime Day having a $275 price for Pro+2x B pack. I'm looking for the 3X Pro pack

My Car also is in a dead spot when in parked in the front of the house so hoping to improve coverage for that.
In my experience, this has been the first router / access point setup where I've never had to manually power cycle the devices. The odd time that my internet goes out, or something happens and I need to power cycle my modem, the Eero picks it right back up without issue. Honestly the experience has been quite nice. I just purchased a set of 3x Eero Pro from this sale to replace 2 aging Airport Extremes in my parents house where they struggle with signal quite often.

Also, its not a big deal, but its cool how it shows all the devices connected, categorizes them, and even shows my Model 3 with a car icon.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
KevinT277396 wrote: So does this apply if not using ethernet backhaul and just using as access points?
Basically. But truemesh still has advantages connected via Ethernet. If Ethernet Dies for whatever reason, the nodes will automatically route via wifi without any reconfiguration on the users part. Ethernet is treated as just another “band”.

I read how some users think they’re Ethernet backhauled but a switch died and they don’t realize it until days later because eero kept chugging along.

Eero also is constantly monitoring and adjusting itself over time to optimize band and signal strength. It can actually take up to a week to get optimal speeds.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4411 posts
2363 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
mr_yellow wrote: Basically. But truemesh still has advantages connected via Ethernet. If Ethernet Dies for whatever reason, the nodes will automatically route via wifi without any reconfiguration on the users part. Ethernet is treated as just another “band”.

I read how some users think they’re Ethernet backhauled but a switch died and they don’t realize it until days later because eero kept chugging along.

Eero also is constantly monitoring and adjusting itself over time to optimize band and signal strength. It can actually take up to a week to get optimal speeds.
I'd like a source for your last statement (adjusting over time)

This look interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5392 posts
1248 upvotes
Toronto
I love my eero pros (2 with no Ethernet backhaul - old house) keep me pretty happy. I’ve had to restart once to fix an odd problem, but otherwise no problems for nearly a year.

The one issue I have is with no separate 2.4Ghz network and smart decide that need to be set up. Does anyone have a solution for this? Mine has been kludgy - to do it in my back alley where my phone is forced onto 2.4.
Apr 8, 2009
258 posts
250 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Just bought the Orbi RBK50 AC3000 for $299.... and now this. Not sure which to go with!
Oct 22, 2013
347 posts
207 upvotes
NORTH YORK
JCYC5 wrote: Just bought the Orbi RBK50 AC3000 for $299.... and now this. Not sure which to go with!
Keep the Orbi