Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Eero Mesh Wifi Systems ($279-$543)

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2020 9:51 pm
Member
Apr 29, 2006
385 posts
144 upvotes
Brampton
Would one eero Pro be enough for a 2200 sq foot house? Not a big fan of the Beacons as they have no ethernet ports.

Deco M9 is also an option as it has a tri-band dedicated backhaul.

Looking to upgrade my parents place with a $250 budget.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1176 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
I live in a 3-storey townhouse and the modem is on the top floor. Gigabit connection and 35+ devices connected. Which of the 3-pack eeros and the 2-pack Orbi RBK50 will be more suitable for me?
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 21, 2009
3427 posts
1336 upvotes
Grimsby
Saini wrote: Would one eero Pro be enough for a 2200 sq foot house? Not a big fan of the Beacons as they have no ethernet ports.

Deco M9 is also an option as it has a tri-band dedicated backhaul.

Looking to upgrade my parents place with a $250 budget.
I would try for at least 2 access points (Eeros or whatever). You mentioned not being a fan of the Beacons because they don't have ethernet ports - does this mean you have ethernet wired in the house that you would use for the Eeros or access points you connect?
jigsatics wrote: I live in a 3-storey townhouse and the modem is on the top floor. Gigabit connection and 35+ devices connected. Which of the 3-pack eeros and the 2-pack Orbi RBK50 will be more suitable for me?
I don't know details of the Orbi, but with gigabit internet service, I believe the Eero Pros would be optimal. I'd do at least 2 (one where the modem is on top floor, and then another on floor below).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
milhaus wrote: The one issue I have is with no separate 2.4Ghz network and smart decide that need to be set up. Does anyone have a solution for this? Mine has been kludgy - to do it in my back alley where my phone is forced onto 2.4.
New app Released a few days ago supports disabling of 5Ghz band when you’re trying to connect crappy IoT devices to your wifi network.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
JCYC5 wrote: Just bought the Orbi RBK50 AC3000 for $299.... and now this. Not sure which to go with!
Try both. Maybe your home will work great with orbi. Or maybe you’ll find the dedicated backhaul can’t penetrate certain areas where eeros will shine. Though the Triband orbi for $300 is a great deal.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Nov 30, 2015
115 posts
96 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I ordered the eero 3 pack non-pro with echo dot. First eero will be wired to the router at the front of the house. I'm going to run a network cable from the router to the back door of the house and plugging the second eero in there. Third eero will be wireless and in the garage about 50 feet from the second eero.

Will eero three slow down the rest of the network?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14191 posts
5389 upvotes
Ottawa
So the three even-toed ungulates site says that the 3x Pro pack hit $475 last Black Friday, so there is definitely room for the price to be lower.

Will hold out till then or Prime Day
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
jigsatics wrote: I live in a 3-storey townhouse and the modem is on the top floor. Gigabit connection and 35+ devices connected. Which of the 3-pack eeros and the 2-pack Orbi RBK50 will be more suitable for me?
3 nodes means better coverage on each floor. With only two orbi nodes, you may still get deadlines on a specific area/floor.

I’d rather go for reliability than outright speed that only happens when you’re the only client on the network.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2116 posts
681 upvotes
Canuckbert wrote: I ordered the eero 3 pack non-pro with echo dot. First eero will be wired to the router at the front of the house. I'm going to run a network cable from the router to the back door of the house and plugging the second eero in there. Third eero will be wireless and in the garage about 50 feet from the second eero.

Will eero three slow down the rest of the network?
No. The third eero will have no overall impact on the rest of the network. That’s the beauty of dynamic backhaul and truemesh. Only the clients that connect via the garage will have reduced speeds. In fact, the eero in the garage will probably use 2.4ghz band to connect to rest of network while the eeros In the house will use 5Ghz to move data between each other.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 21, 2009
3427 posts
1336 upvotes
Grimsby
mr_yellow wrote: No. The third eero will have no overall impact on the rest of the network. That’s the beauty of dynamic backhaul and truemesh. Only the clients that connect via the garage will have reduced speeds. In fact, the eero in the garage will probably use 2.4ghz band to connect to rest of network while the eeros In the house will use 5Ghz to move data between each other.
Agreed. But won't the Eeros in the house use ethernet for the backhaul if they're connected by a wire?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4187 posts
2273 upvotes
technophile wrote: If you're not in a rush, I would wait. The current models are based on WiFi 5 (802.11ac) doesn't support WiFi 6 (802.11ax) or WiFi 6E. I expect WiFi 6E to have a good long lifecycle.
Depends on how many devices you have now or near future that will have Wifi 6/6E and also more importantly...your own plans for higher speed connectivity.

In my house there's only one wifi 6 device....out of 30. I don't plan on buying anything new until maybe next year...more likely year after that.

Much like the old N standard, and AC, it took a while for the standards to really become standards. Remember "N" ready routers? that was a joke.
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2006
805 posts
194 upvotes
Nova Scotia
These types of systems use the same SSID so it’s seamless when a device picks up another AP? I use enterprise grade stuff at my office and it’s one SSID through out the building for my staff. Hoping this mesh system acts that way as well. Looking to replace an AirPort Extreme. Can use Ethernet on all 3 if needed.
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2007
790 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver
Ugh. Temp out of stock.

I’m in a tough spot right now. I have the deco m4 which work perfectly. No drops. But the firmware doesn’t support the more current security. I’m in a single dwelling area without a ton of traffic so I don’t know how important that is.

Thing is, I have until the 20th to decide. That’s the return time limit through amazon.

Tp Link has said they will be updating the security options. If I decide to move to the eero I will probably have to buy something for the interim and swap things out (likely the orbi) - is it even worth the extra $100? I had to return my last Orbi because it didn’t have an Ethernet port, as I need my wife’s computer connected via hardwire connection for work.

I’d love someone helping me think through this.

Top