Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca Elegoo Mars UV 3D printer 310$ (-49.99$) Lowest on CCC.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2020 5:51 pm
[OP]
Jun 19, 2008
44 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Amazon.ca Elegoo Mars UV 3D printer 310$ (-49.99$) Lowest on CCC.

I would have jumped on that deal if not having pre-ordered a Saturn a month ago. This is really nice for the price.

historic low on CCC

Nothing beats this for the price in the UV printing segment. Used to own a Photon for a few weeks but the ringing was terrible.

Note this one has an RGB LCD not greyscale UV, you won't get 2s per layers but for the price you can't go wrong. Also, most replacement parts are sold on amazon at OK prices.

If you don't know anything about 3D printing, I suggest you try FDM first (plastic filament), UV Printing can be a little messy (and toxic :) ) , but nothing beats the quality especially if you want to do anything miniature and detailed.

if you want more resolution and faster print time and bigger build size, the Elegoo Saturn might be shipping in volume for xmas if you can wait that long. Latest Preorders are supposed to arrive in september. Not clear if they will go all in on production or do a 3rd pre-order batch, the demand is crazy, they sold out 2000 units in less than 5 minutes.

Cheers.

ELEGOO Mars UV Photocuring LCD 3D Printer with 3.5'' Smart Touch Color Screen Off-line Print 4.53"(L) x 2.56"(W) x 5.9"(H) Printing Size-Black Version

【Fast Slicing Software】ELEGOO Mars comes with the latest version of ChiTu Box Slicing Software which gives you extraordinary user experience. ChiTu Box takes only 1 minute to slice 30Mb .stl model files while the open-sourced slicing software would take up to 10minutes.
【Resin saving and Better Printing】ChiTu Box allows you to hollow out your model before slicing which could save your resin dramatically during photocuring process. Equiped with 40W UV lights and using ELEGOO resin, you can get a better pritning result.
【Smart and Convenient】3.5'' inch color touch screen equipped with the latest ELEGOO ChiTu 5.0 system makes it very easy for off-line printing. The build platform with steel ball balancing structure inside allows you to start printing within 5 minutes after assembly. "
【High Precision and Resolution】ELEGOO Mars uses a 2560x1440 2K HD masking LCD as to provide accurate printing with XY axis resolution of 0.00185inches / 0.047mm
40 replies
Aug 16, 2009
323 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
the mars pro is $20 off at $380 too, but shipped from elegoo directly instead of amazon so will take longer.

Would you recommend the basic mars or paying the extra for the mars pro? I had experience with FDM printing, but want to get into SLA, for the details.
[OP]
Jun 19, 2008
44 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
electric0ant wrote: the mars pro is $20 off at $380 too, but shipped from elegoo directly instead of amazon so will take longer.

Would you recommend the basic mars or paying the extra for the mars pro? I had experience with FDM printing, but want to get into SLA, for the details.
It really depends if you care about print time, its a little faster (stronger LEDS), if you are OCD on print quality, the Z rail is sturdier (probably less ringing and layer artifacts for ultra detailed jobs). Air management is a gimmick, don't use any UV printers in a closed area. X-Y Resolution is the same.

From All3DP

The raw numbers alone don’t tell the full story. The main points of differentiation between the Elegoo Mars and Elegoo Mars Pro lie in the features, and measures Elegoo took to improve the original Mars.

USB POSITION
A common complaint against the Elegoo Mars is the awkwardly located USB port. Found on the rear of the printer, it gets old quick having to blindly fumble around the back of the machine to find and yank the USB stick out. Worse still, plugging it in when you can’t see the port is just mean product design.

For 2020’s Mars Pro, Elegoo has bumped the USB port from the rear of the printer to front and center, making it a cinch to interface with the machine – a usability upgrade welcomed with open arms.

LINEAR RAIL UPGRADE
In our experience both the Mars and Mars Pro boast solid stability through their Z-axis movement. This didn’t stop Elegoo from upgrading the Mars Pro to use a linear guide versus the grooved wheels running along dual rods on the original Mars.

LIGHT ENGINE & PRINT SPEED
Elegoo found room for improvement in the original Mars’ light engine, upgrading from a bank of 40W UV LEDs to 50W UV LEDs for the Mars Pro. In real terms this bump in light intensity means the Mars Pro can print slightly faster than the Mars, with a nominal layer cure time (using Elegoo resin) of six seconds per layer, compared Mars’ eight seconds.

AIR MANAGEMENT
The Elegoo Mars features no air filtration unit, whereas the Mars Pro does. Buried in the base unit of the printer, the Mars Pro’s carbon filter goes some way to neutralizing the noxious stench associated with exposed resin, although we will say that given the need to open the machine up to remove prints, change resin, clean and, well, generally just use the printer, you’re wafting the smell around no matter what.

We’d argue (unscientifically, we might add, but from first-hand impressions of both machines) that the difference is negligible compared to the effect of keeping the printer in a well-ventilated space.

Nevertheless, the presence of a carbon filter alone will at least be doing something to improve the Mars Pro. Just not much.

A further point on air management using these two printers: where the original Mars’ protective lid simply nestled into place in the recess around the edge of the machine, the Mars Pro features a new rubber gasket that, in theory, seals the stinky air inside the printer and keeps outside relatively stench-free.

In practice, this loose strip of rubber is ill-fitting, doesn’t create a good seal, and makes the printer look pretty sloppy. Even if it did fit well and created a seal, that could mess with the carbon filter’s ability to pull air through itself. It’s an odd choice that does the Mars Pro no favors.

RESIN VAT
Shortly after the release of the original Mars printer, Elegoo launched an inexpensive set of spare resin vats. Made from injection-molded plastic, these optional tanks offered one big advantage over the Mars’ stock metal vat – they hold a lot more resin. That means longer printing between refills, and consequently, less time spent working with exposed resin.

For the Mars Pro, that accommodating form factor is given heft with a machined metal equivalent, offering a roomier pool of resin to work with. We like it a lot, and much like the file compatibility upgrade, this change doesn’t get enough credit.

PRINT PLATE
The print plate on the original Elegoo Mars was not bad – certainly in our time with the printer we didn’t encounter a single failed print because of non-adhesion to the print plate. Nevertheless, Elegoo saw fit to rework it for the Mars Pro.

Sporting large bolts to assist in easier print plate leveling, the plate surface itself has even changed, now with a grippy radial effect that, in addition to better adhesion (so Elegoo claims – it still performs flawlessly, so there’s no functional difference) is imparts a nifty light-diffracting surface to the first layer of a print.

FILE COMPATIBILITY
An often untalked about difference between the original Elegoo Mars and the new Elegoo Mars Pro is the file types they work with from their recommended slicing software, ChiTuBox.

The original Mars uses ChiTu’s older .cbddlp file extension, as with a great number of other budget desktop MSLA 3D printers. The Elegoo Mars Pro, however, is one of a small handful of newer machines to benefit from ChiTu’s newer .ctb file type.

Introduced in a recent software update, .ctb files export at a fraction of the size, quicker, and according to ChiTu itself perform better when using anti-aliasing, giving “more obvious” results on your printed model.

PRINT QUALITY
It’s the same. The resolutions at play in both the Elegoo Mars and Elegoo Mars Pro are the same, so any difference in print quality is going to come from external factors outside of the printers’ control – such as resin temperature, improper print settings, model orientation.

PRICE
And perhaps the most important difference between these two budget big-hitters is the price. Despite the raft of improvements and, in some cases, sideways or backward steps, Elegoo kept the price jump to a not-unreasonable ~$60, pitting the Mars’ $240 against the Mars Pro’s $300.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3079 posts
3039 upvotes
Lots of reviews on amazon but 100% of pictures within the reviews are just a bunch of silly toys and trinkets. I guess these things aren't used for anything actually useful often?
[OP]
Jun 19, 2008
44 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Lots of reviews on amazon but 100% of pictures within the reviews are just a bunch of silly toys and trinkets. I guess these things aren't used for anything actually useful often?
Depends what useful is to you, I make custom cases for electronics, print friend's RPG tabletop stuff, also some garden adapters and various household stuff... the other day my air exchange plate punctured (some press button with a cheap vinyl overlay, I made a tight fit button instead and it looks genuine, no need to change the whole touchpad, etc..

You can always take a look @ Thingiverse if you want to check what people are doing, there are hundreds of upload every week. So many a day I have stopped pointing my RSS scraper there and just use their search or google + site:thingiverse searches. I've been 3D printing for 10 years and I still see stuff I never thought of doing and saves money + having fun doing it. Oh.. there's a lot of crap too, yeah.... lol.
Jun 4, 2011
538 posts
847 upvotes
Toronto
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Lots of reviews on amazon but 100% of pictures within the reviews are just a bunch of silly toys and trinkets. I guess these things aren't used for anything actually useful often?
3D printers are so cheap and easy to get working that anybody can use them, this means a lot of people without the skills to model items end up getting printers just because they are cheap or seem neat, and they end up printing a lot of trinkets or other less than useful things. The main primary use of resin printers such as this Elegoo is for the printing of models for things such as DND, Warhammer 40k, Board Games, Miniature collecting.

Those that use printers for more practical things such as prototyping, or functional prints usually go with FDM printers (your traditional print in extruded layers printer such as the Ender 3) which are less toxic, less messy, have larger builtplates for the money, and require less post processing.
Jan 12, 2011
22 posts
45 upvotes
ottawa
Know what you're getting into. Resin printers aren't a simple as 'normal' printers and require ventilation, post print cleaning and gloves for handling until they're cleaned and cured.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14589 upvotes
Boboche wrote: if you want more resolution and faster print time and bigger build size, the Elegoo Saturn might be shipping in volume for xmas if you can wait that long.
Damn... $600 in what I assume to be USD. That'll probably be $900 landed after shipping.
Still... bigger build volume....
Depends on who buys them. I haven't printed any toys or trinkets.
But someone that might be into miniatures would probably print them.

For me it's all functional prints and custom parts that don't exist.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2128 posts
749 upvotes
very silly to show build volume by inches, it is small, not practical to do anything.
<signature removed>
Dec 22, 2019
66 posts
101 upvotes
This looks amazing. The print quality is very smooth. Too bad I don't have proper work area to deal with this kind of printing at home.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
Boboche wrote: I would have jumped on that deal if not having pre-ordered a Saturn a month ago.
I am so sad I couldn't get a Saturn pre-order.
Oct 13, 2016
18 posts
73 upvotes
elitexero wrote: Know what you're getting into. Resin printers aren't a simple as 'normal' printers and require ventilation, post print cleaning and gloves for handling until they're cleaned and cured.
how heavy is the maintenance in terms of time/frequency? I am not sure whether to get this or ender3 pro. I plan on making parts for sculpture projecta and already work with toxic chemicals but can't bother to spend much time cleaning up after every print.... thanks for the headsup btw.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2677 posts
1142 upvotes
Oranges32 wrote: how heavy is the maintenance in terms of time/frequency? I am not sure whether to get this or ender3 pro. I plan on making parts for sculpture projecta and already work with toxic chemicals but can't bother to spend much time cleaning up after every print.... thanks for the headsup btw.
The maintenance on this will likely be easier than an ender3, but dealing with liquid resin is likely going to be a bigger pain in the butt. The results from the resin print will likely be much much better in terms of print quality, and require less overall post print work. You will have to clean and cure the parts as the resin manufacturer recommends.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1301 posts
675 upvotes
Noticed on the pics it comes with 2 masks. It must really stink if it comes with masks.
Oct 13, 2016
18 posts
73 upvotes
CantMissADeal wrote: Noticed on the pics it comes with 2 masks. It must really stink if it comes with masks.
i think it's very good idea, there's this yt vid where a lady worked with resin in a closed room without protection and had health issues
Jan 19, 2008
497 posts
332 upvotes
CantMissADeal wrote: Noticed on the pics it comes with 2 masks. It must really stink if it comes with masks.
They smell so you need good ventalation. Not somthing you want to do in your house with out proper ventalation. You also need a wash station and a UV light for curing.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29042 posts
14589 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: very silly to show build volume by inches, it is small, not practical to do anything.
Quality > Quantity
Oranges32 wrote:
how heavy is the maintenance in terms of time/frequency? I am not sure whether to get this or ender3 pro. I plan on making parts for sculpture projecta and already work with toxic chemicals but can't bother to spend much time cleaning up after every print.... thanks for the headsup btw.
My printer is in my bathroom both for ventilation and the lack of light. Because of this, I don't even take out my resin. I just leave it in the vat. You should technically strain and store the resin after every print.
Maintenance on a print requires washing in isopropyl alcohol and curing in UV lights. This is about a 30 minute process. I usually dump it in a sealed container with alcohol, shake it around, then throw it in the 2nd container with alcohol to "rinse" it then 30 minutes to cure. It's not too intensive.
Anycubic apparently has a plant based resin that smells better. But the "normal" stuff is pretty rank.
I don't use a mask since it doesn't really block odors. I definitely use gloves though.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1554 posts
1476 upvotes
Moncton
Not my kind of thing because of the print size, but still pretty cool if a person is looking to print quality miniatures.

Slightly off topic (and something I'm sure I could google if I wanted), but what's the physical characteristics of printed resin when compared to something like PLA? Is it more like the soft plastic we're used to seeing on things like toy soldiers, or is it hard like something you'd get out of most FDM filaments?
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)