• Apr 22nd, 2021 7:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2420 posts
528 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Energizer L522BP Energizer Ultimate Lithium 9V Battery $ 5.97

https://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-Ultimat ... 23&sr=8-13

For those that know about this battery, there is no need to explain.

About this item
1-Pack of energizer ultimate lithium 9v batteries
Our longest-lasting 9v battery
Powers your most critical devices—ideal for your smart home devices, outdoor surveillance systems, digital cameras, and handheld games
Holds power up to 10 years in storage for trustworthy backup energy, so you’re always prepared
Performs in extreme temperatures, from -40f to 140° f, for year-round, indoor and outdoor use
King of the farm
18 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2420 posts
528 upvotes
alpovs wrote: It's been at this price since February.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-energizer-ultimate-lithium-9v-battery-5-97-2444148/
Even though that thread expired the price stayed the same. I bought it several times for this price between now and then.
Actually, it's been off and on. I was looking for it last week and it wasn't available. but yes, its like the last. I guess you can say new-repost.
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2772 posts
1696 upvotes
SW ON
I wonder if it's new regular price.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2772 posts
1696 upvotes
SW ON
redkulat wrote: I believe they're clearing stock from 2020 still
It has 10 year shelf life. It's hardly a clearance.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1896 posts
906 upvotes
Home
It would be great if they were rechargeable.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15472 posts
3767 upvotes
Toronto
One thing to keep in mind is that Lithium battery power levels drop very quickly when the battery is getting weak. This is unlike Alkaline batteries that have a more gradual curve. As a result, this is NOT recommended for smoke/carbon monoxide alarms or any electrical devices that provide a warning chirp when the battery is getting weak. The nagging chirp is important to make sure you replace the battery. With a Lithium battery, you might hear the chirp a few times and after that the device is dead which will give you a false sense of security.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2772 posts
1696 upvotes
SW ON
hightech wrote: One thing to keep in mind is that Lithium battery power levels drop very quickly when the battery is getting weak. This is unlike Alkaline batteries that have a more gradual curve. As a result, this is NOT recommended for smoke/carbon monoxide alarms or any electrical devices that provide a warning chirp when the battery is getting weak. The nagging chirp is important to make sure you replace the battery. With a Lithium battery, you might hear the chirp a few times and after that the device is dead which will give you a false sense of security.
This battery will outlast a smoke alarm. You would need to replace a smoke alarm before the battery goes dead. Some smoke alarms are now sold sealed with batteries like this (in a different shape maybe). Smoke alarms have expiration dates and I believe they chirp when this date comes.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2772 posts
1696 upvotes
SW ON
redkulat wrote: Thats my point, they are advertised as 10 year shelf life and expire in 2030.
I don't understand your point. Stuff can be sold before the expiration date. So these can be sold for 9 years from now. Shelf life is not usage life. So, these can be used in 10 years after manufacture and still last for as long as they last after 10 years on the shelf. People buy things to use, not to store them for 10 years before use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2420 posts
528 upvotes
Smoke alarm is what I buy this for. It save me from climbing up there to change it ever year. Even though might only get 5 years out of it, I'm good with that. How much is the regular alkaline cost already? take that and lets say multiply it by 5. I'm just using 5 years as a minimum life span and never mind about the 10 years.
King of the farm
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2019
1144 posts
4325 upvotes
alpovs wrote: This battery will outlast a smoke alarm. You would need to replace a smoke alarm before the battery goes dead. Some smoke alarms are now sold sealed with batteries like this (in a different shape maybe). Smoke alarms have expiration dates and I believe they chirp when this date comes.
What is the basis of this? I would think this depends on the power consumption of the smoke alarm. Usually the battery of smoke alarm is recommended to be replaced twice a year.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
3472 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
LOL @ the open box batteries
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15536 posts
7013 upvotes
Ottawa
redkulat wrote: Thats my point, they are advertised as 10 year shelf life and expire in 2030.
Shelf life just means how long you can store them before you should start using them. Basically by 2030, the battery is not guaranteed to have 100% capacity. So even if you start using it at 2030, it may still have 90% of its rated capacity.

These lithium batteries are very hardy. Somebody measured a set after 15 years and they were basically as good as new.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2174 posts
681 upvotes
Montreal
Rooster wrote: Smoke alarm is what I buy this for. It save me from climbing up there to change it ever year. Even though might only get 5 years out of it, I'm good with that. How much is the regular alkaline cost already? take that and lets say multiply it by 5. I'm just using 5 years as a minimum life span and never mind about the 10 years.
I started buying those : https://www.canac.ca/en/10-year-battery ... arm-107973
Comes with a built-in lithium battery and will last 10 years without maintenance.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2174 posts
681 upvotes
Montreal
Rooster wrote: FYI, this is only a smoke alarm, It doesn't have carbon monoxide detection.
Which is fine by me. I don't have gas appliances and my car is electric!