• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2017 11:47 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
865 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Epiphone Les Paul Special II $139 | Pro-1 Acoustic $129

Deal of the day on Amazon has a handful of Epiphone guitars on sale. These historically have been pretty good guitars. I've owned an Epiphone Les Paul for nearly 15 years and it still sounds and works great.

Les Paul Special II - $139 - in Ebony Black or Vintage Sunburst
Pro-1 Acoustic - $129 - in Ebony Black, Natural, Wine Red, Trans Blue, or Vintage Sunburst
40 replies
Nov 6, 2013
203 posts
54 upvotes
Hampstead, QC
Thanks for posting. I know absolutely zero about electric guitars, but have had a Seagull S6 for 8 years and I play acoustic guitar a few times a month with friends. Is this a good novice guitar for electric? Or will I have to probably end up buying another one in a year or so because this is very introductory/strictly for learners?
Nov 10, 2013
40 posts
43 upvotes
TORONTO
Great deal. It's a totally fine guitar for novice to intermediate. A jump up from this would be $1000+.

Keep in mind it would benefit from a proper set up. The factory setup is pretty dire, lots of string buzz from poor alignment.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2520 posts
1725 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Diakonos wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:13 am
Thanks for posting. I know absolutely zero about electric guitars, but have had a Seagull S6 for 8 years and I play acoustic guitar a few times a month with friends. Is this a good novice guitar for electric? Or will I have to probably end up buying another one in a year or so because this is very introductory/strictly for learners?
Yes, you might have to. It depends on how much you have progressed. OP might have a Epi Standard? This is far from that.

If you want to be adventurous, try looking for a Made in Mexico Fender Strat. You can snag one for 300-350, if you are patient. Otherwise, this is totally fine to learn on.
Nov 6, 2013
203 posts
54 upvotes
Hampstead, QC
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:22 am
Yes, you might have to. It depends on how much you have progressed. OP might have a Epi Standard? This is far from that.

If you want to be adventurous, try looking for a Made in Mexico Fender Strat. You can snag one for 300-350, if you are patient. Otherwise, this is totally fine to learn on.
Thanks very much for your response. Is this the Fender Stratocaster you're talking about?
https://www.amazon.ca/Fender-Standard-S ... 005J3RW9A/

I might then wait. I seem to recall lots of guitars were on sale on Amazon at Boxing Day last year, and I regret not pulling the trigger!
[OP]
Nov 9, 2005
865 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Nikhilvoid wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:22 am

Yeah, I have an Epiphone Les Paul standard. I've heard good things about this one. I'm sure it's a pretty good guitar for beginners and even some intermediate playing. Highly recommend taking into a guitar shop to get it adjusted so the neck and pick ups are well aligned, or you can YouTube how to do that yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7787 posts
1182 upvotes
Toronto
johnnyblayze wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:28 am
Does the guitar come with a strap?
I bought the sunburst when it was on sale at Best Buy a few months ago, and it did not come with a strap.
Apr 10, 2013
14 posts
17 upvotes
Gatineau
playerhayter wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:20 am
Great deal. It's a totally fine guitar for novice to intermediate. A jump up from this would be $1000+.

Keep in mind it would benefit from a proper set up. The factory setup is pretty dire, lots of string buzz from poor alignment.
That is not true.
Nov 30, 2006
648 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Does this come with a practice amp? The feedback ratings say it does but the description does not.
Sep 13, 2004
439 posts
52 upvotes
Halifax
Keep in mind that while Epi does have some decent midrange Les Paul’s, this is not one of them. I wouldn’t get this for anything beyond giving a kid their first guitar.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
3482 posts
1399 upvotes
Loopy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:46 am
Keep in mind that while Epi does have some decent midrange Les Paul’s, this is not one of them. I wouldn’t get this for anything beyond giving a kid their first guitar.
So this wouldn't turn a beginner adult into the next Slash?
Mar 11, 2004
672 posts
334 upvotes
Quebec City
Gedge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:45 am
Does this come with a practice amp? The feedback ratings say it does but the description does not.
At this price it doesn't. You have to choose the bundle (currently 199$ I think)
Sep 18, 2016
84 posts
58 upvotes
playerhayter wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:20 am

You could get a solid Taylor for right around $600-700 not on sale. (Talking the acoustics because that's what I know, haven't looked into the electrics)