Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Epson HC1040 1080p Home Cinema Video Projector [Refurb] - 3000 Color Lumens - $467.79

Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Epson HC1040 1080p Home Cinema Video Projector [Refurb] - 3000 Color Lumens - $467.79

So folks, this is a refurb 1080p home cinema projector. Normally, I wouldn't share this projector with you all, but I've bought two and I'm quite pleased with the performance.

I've having them put in two office classrooms, and after the first installation, I was pleasantly surprised by the crisp text and great colors. The brightness is pretty good, especially when lights are dimmed.

Don't expect the world of this unit, but at this price, I think it's great.

https://www.amazon.ca/Epson-HC1040-Refu ... 01LW4KPF1/

Specifications:
  • Screen Size Range: 80-inches from 8 feet; 119-inches from 12 feet
  • White Brightness: 3000 Lumens; Color Brightness: 3000 Lumens
  • Contrast Ratio: 15,000:1; Keystone Correction: Yes; Lens Shift: No
  • 2 x HDMI, 1 x VGA
Last edited by aasoror on Jun 27th, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: it was already there, edited back
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2377 upvotes
Toronto
Great deal for a light cannon of a projector. This is good for non-light controlled rooms 2040 has better response time for gaming but I think is around 2/3 the brightness.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
For those curious, buyers of the HC1040 seem generally pleased (including myself), as evidenced by this thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digit ... 28hdl.html

Images

Below is the projector above a 75" TV, massive scale difference. Pretty bright even in a relatively bright room.

I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
AstonM wrote: Great deal for a light cannon of a projector. This is good for non-light controlled rooms 2040 has better response time for gaming but I think is around 2/3 the brightness.
Who runs these at full brightness any way (unless it's outdoors with no real concern about image quality) ? remember the advertised numbers are "pre-calibration" in-lab readings.
For $50 more I would suggest people to look into what the refurb 2040 offers before biting (native 1920x1080 resolution, real 16:9 AR, 3D, lower input lag and higher end features like frame interpolation and image enhancements) .
That said, 1040 takes the edge with Amazon's return policy (vs. Epson store no buyers remorse policy).
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3428 posts
2377 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: Who runs these at full brightness any way (unless it's outdoors with no real concern about image quality) ? remember the advertised numbers are "pre-calibration" in-lab readings.
For $50 more I would suggest people to look into what the refurb 2040 offers before biting (native 1920x1080 resolution, real 16:9 AR, 3D, lower input lag and higher end features like frame interpolation and image enhancements) .
That said, 1040 takes the edge with Amazon's return policy (vs. Epson store no buyers remorse policy).
Epson 2040 maxes at 2200 lumens, the 1040 will do that in it's lowest setting. If you have a darker room with light control, the 2040 will obviously be better. But for really casual usage this will be the better choice due to the brightness. I've had both - 2040 wins in a basement, 1040 was great for cottage, outside and gaming in bright living room.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
AstonM wrote: 1040 was great for cottage, outside and gaming in bright living room.
That sums it up nicely.

Thing is the moment one decides to use "Cinema mode" on the 1040 because it looks better you have given away the sole edge of the 1040 over 2040. IMO for 90% of the use cases one wouldn't need to bump up either projectors to max (2200/3000 lumens) brightness (btw, both projectors are using the same ELPLP88 lamp, so the more often one drives the 1040 at max brightness the faster the lamp will degrade and lose the edge over 2040, though the lamp being cheap enough someone who needs to maintain 3000 lumens can replace the lamp every 2000 hours or so).

Side note: for a basement setup, I would recommend looking up DLP for anyone not prone to RBE, going 3LCD (at least for these 2015 projectors) sacrifices contrast for brightness and a basement installation wont really make use of brightness levels that high (unless one plans to use it with some lights on).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
Realistically, @aasoror, outside of a dedicated basement theatre, I think think the HC1040 is a more practical projector for the reasons @AstonM provides. It's also reasonable as a gaming projector outside of competitive FPS gaming.

The value calculus shifts clearly towards the HC1040 when you factor in Amazon fulfillment, no hassle return, and the lower price.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
redflagdealsguy wrote: Realistically, @aasoror, outside of a dedicated basement theatre
Realistically, in a dedicated basement theater, you can do with 1000 lumens past calibration :) there is a reason DLP has an edge over 3LCD when it comes to dedicated HT though its never practically as bright.
btw I still have the ND-2 filter on 2040 (killing cinema mode from 1700 lumens calibrated to 850 lumens) in a living room with minimal ambient light and have only started recently bumping brightness by 5% when I don't want to bother turning off the lights (as the lamp is aging). I only ever need to use the "vivid" (brightest) mode with an 800 lumen light at the corner of the room (when the kids play video games). My point is at 2200 or even 3000 lumens, regular throw projectors are not fit for a daytime TV replacement either ways and unless used outdoors or in an office/classroom with full lights on there is next to no need to bump these projectors to max brightness.
I think think the HC1040 is a more practical projector for the reasons @AstonM provides. It's also reasonable as a gaming projector outside of competitive FPS gaming.
Do you run your HC1040 at full brightness all the time ? From my experience many rave about brightness when the first thing they do is turning on "Echo" mode ;)
The value calculus shifts clearly towards the HC1040 when you factor in Amazon fulfillment, no hassle return, and the lower price.
Agreed (as pointed in my earlier post).
Again I am not saying it's a bad purchase, I am just saying people need to consider what they are missing opting for what looks like a "rebadged powerlite office/multimedia UXWGA light cannon with 16:10 AR" thinking they are buying a budget home theater projector just because Epson put "HC" in its name :) Many don't value features like frame interpolation or 3D until they actually see it with their own eyes, these features shouldn't be disregarded as gimmicks from the get go.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Do you run your HC1040 at full brightness all the time ? From my experience many rave about brightness when the first thing they do is turning on "Echo" mode ;)
I do, my friend. These are offices, there is always ambient light, even when room lights are dimmed/off.

As for gaming, even though this probably isn't as good as the HC2040 for basement theatre cinema or gaming, when I see videos like this (below), I'm fairly convinced that the HC1040 will chew through most casual gaming experiences quite comfortably.

Here's an interesting comment chain:

So once again, for practical casual gaming, I think the HC1040 is probably fine. If we're talking competitive FPS gaming, you shouldn't be touching a projector short of dropping a few grand... or more likely, getting a 144hz TN panel monitor.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
Those of you considering the Optoma 4K Projector (see source thread below) for more than 3x the price of the Epson HC1040, check out this video. FYI, the Optoma reviewed in the video is one model above the one on sale at Costco.

If you didn't see much if any difference, you're not alone. I'm not sure the marginal difference in resolution is worth the investment at this point given the lack of native 4K content and distance at which you'd be viewing the screen.

To my eyes, the HC1040 is far better value for money.

Now with that said, at very large sizes (100" and above), the resolution difference does become transparently self-evident. However, lacking a side-by-side comparison, you probably won't know what you're missing and satisfy yourself with the Epson projector until 4K projectors mature further (and drop in price).

Source Thread for Optoma UHD50:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... h-2203773/
Jun 14, 2003
754 posts
78 upvotes
Markham
Price is now $429.28.
Ken
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
I would buy this in a heartbeat if I didn't already own two.

We have some cr*ppier projectors deployed across southwestern ontario, tempting to replace all the ceiling mounted ones with these.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
There was one left... I bought it. I own 3 units now, 2 in service.

Meeting future demand.
Dec 24, 2011
749 posts
1607 upvotes
East, Canada
redflagdealsguy wrote: There was one left... I bought it. I own 3 units now, 2 in service.

Meeting future demand.
Looks like a killer deal OP, thanked. Does this refurbished model have any warranty coverage?
Amex Platinum, Amex Cobalt, Amex Bonvoy and Amex Bonvoy Business card holder
British Airways American Express (UK)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
RaiderX wrote: Looks like a killer deal OP, thanked. Does this refurbished model have any warranty coverage?
1 year factory warranty
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
It's out of stock but the price dropped to 426$.
Bought one, sounds like it'll be good outdoor :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)