Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Epson HC2100 Projector $699.97 & Epson HC1060 $599.97

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 3:46 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3029 posts
1633 upvotes
ON
redflagdealsguy wrote: Yes, I can admit that some things I buy are inescapably higher margin for Amazon.

Did I just admit I'm a chump?

Someone remove the redflagdeals from my moniker, just call me 'guy' from now on.

In fairness to you, Amazon customer service was much less hospitable in and around the Christmas season. You may have been caught up in that.
Exactly!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27109 posts
37052 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: There are levels to this projector gamesmanship.
Let me add to that point.

The Friday night lazy projector is one or two levels below the Chinese projectors I bought.

In particular, the Vankyo Performance V630, a proper 1080p Chinese LED projector. It's truly 1080p but not quite as sharp as Epson's flagship 1080p projectors.

The analogy I painted last time is that I got a Chinese 1080p that produced 900p worth of sharpness, while being just as bright as office flagship 1080p projectors from western brands.

I paid $250-ish all-in for the Vankyo instead of $600 + HST ($678 CAD) for the Epson HC1060. I received roughly 85% of the performance for less than half the price, depending on how you grade.

This is why some Chinese projectors are still on my radar.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Sep 18, 2016
248 posts
333 upvotes
k847848 wrote: Do either of these have WiFi? Can you play Netflix on the phone and play it on the projector?
I bought the 2100 projector before I posted it. It doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth, but I put a Firestick 4K into it and it's perfect. All streaming, and I have the Firestick connected to Bluetooth speakers for now because I haven't bought speakers for the bedroom. You'll need something though.
Oct 27, 2020
123 posts
162 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Let's not be bigoted towards Chinese projectors, this isn't 2012 anymore. I run a few Chinese projectors with non-replaceable LED bulbs. The expensive ones cost $260 all-in and look almost as good as the OP projector, maybe 80% to 85% as good. Yes, the Chinese projector is pretty bright as well.

I actually own the OP projector HC1060 as well, we use it offsite, and while it's excellent... it's bulb life is likely shorter than the Chinese LED bulb projector. When the Chinese bulb dies after 10k to 20k hours, I throw out the projector and buy a new one.

You can't automatically dismiss Chinese products in 2021, their production techniques and quality assurance are approaching western standards.
No their production techniques and quality assurance arr not even close to western standards. The chinese branded projectors are garbage and so are basically every chinese brand of electronics. I'm sure your home and business are not filled with random brand Chinese manufacturers electronics.
Oct 20, 2018
263 posts
135 upvotes
parkesto wrote: For a regular home user this is pretty overkill price wise. I grabbed one of the chinese projectors for 79.99 on sale and it's been working flawlessly and the picture is crystal clear and I use it to play Mario Kart on my switch frequently with the kids.

https://www.amazon.ca/QKK-Projector-Pro ... 334&sr=8-2

Not on sale right now, but if you don't want to spend a thousand dollars almost on a projector the above is a safe bet.
I second this.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2007
3338 posts
602 upvotes
GVR
You guys do realize that every single one of those Chinese / noname projectors GROSSLY inflate their specs? In particular the brightness, one of the most important specs on a projector. That projector someone linked a few posts ago claims it’s 6200 lumens or some ridiculous number. I’d bet it’s not even 1/10th that amount if measured correctly (by ANSI standard methodologies for example). RCA sold a line of projectors in Canadian retail that claimed to be 2000 lumens or something and were sued and had to recall everything and reprint the packaging to advertise the true ANSI lumens and they were like 28 lumens. That’s a joke.

Sure, you’re getting a working product with these cheap projectors but you’re kidding yourself if you truly believe these are even remotely a suitable alternative to a proper projector from an established brand. It’s not even remotely close. Not everyone is going to have the budget to buy a proper projector or cares enough to want something with quality/reliability/performance, which is why these cheap projectors exist, but please let’s not try and make it sound like these are some magical cheap equivalent to a good projector.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6201 posts
3006 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like this thread is filled with two types of people. Ones with good vision; others with poor vision.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1134 posts
634 upvotes
echo_jey wrote: Any recommendations for good screen to use in the basement?
Sorry my question was ignored or buried due to intense battle of 'Cheap Chineese Projectors VS Known Brands' , any one can recommend good quality screen for basement(currently unfinished)?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2748 posts
941 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Let me add to that point.

The Friday night lazy projector is one or two levels below the Chinese projectors I bought.

In particular, the Vankyo Performance V630, a proper 1080p Chinese LED projector. It's truly 1080p but not quite as sharp as Epson's flagship 1080p projectors.

The analogy I painted last time is that I got a Chinese 1080p that produced 900p worth of sharpness, while being just as bright as office flagship 1080p projectors from western brands.

I paid $250-ish all-in for the Vankyo instead of $600 + HST ($678 CAD) for the Epson HC1060. I received roughly 85% of the performance for less than half the price, depending on how you grade.

This is why some Chinese projectors are still on my radar.
I have that exact Vankyo projector, it has no optical keystone correction, the lens is pretty junk compared to my Epson (plastic vs glass), and the on-screen motion/processing is nowhere near as good. The brightness is about 1/4 that of the Epson. They aren’t anywhere near each other in terms of quality.

As usual you’re talking complete poo with oddly weird, and often borderline offensive phrasing (bigoted projectors?) and in actuality just spout regurgitated hardware opinions from internet shill reviews you’ve read and position yourself as an expert without really understanding the technology. I can literally tell which posts you’ve written without looking at the user because they’re so odd and tangent filled.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27109 posts
37052 upvotes
DFS 360 wrote: I have that exact Vankyo projector, it has no optical keystone correction, the lens is pretty junk compared to my Epson (plastic vs glass), and the on-screen motion/processing is nowhere near as good. The brightness is about 1/4 that of the Epson. They aren’t anywhere near each other in terms of quality.
Ok, let's do this.

I use this projector in two different meeting rooms for PowerPoint presentations and basic media. I am familiar with it's brightness, and you're completely wrong on that point, it's quite bright for a low-cost projector and not 1/4 the brightness of this Epson.

Regarding the clarity of the image, this is clearly 1080p native output, but it's picture clarity makes it appear more like a 900p output. It's less clear than I would expect from an equivalent western branded 1080p projector, and I acknowledged as much previously. The Epson definitely wins on this point, but I make no effort to hide that fact.
As usual you’re talking complete poo with oddly weird, and often borderline offensive phrasing (bigoted projectors?) and in actuality just spout regurgitated hardware opinions from internet shill reviews you’ve read and position yourself as an expert without really understanding the technology. I can literally tell which posts you’ve written without looking at the user because they’re so odd and tangent filled.
Ad hominems are your classic closer with replies directed my way. When I receive a notification from you, it's typically some esoteric slice-of-life insult regarding my posts. It's corrosive and unproductive.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2748 posts
941 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Ok, let's do this.

I use this projector in two different meeting rooms for PowerPoint presentations and basic media. I am familiar with it's brightness, and you're completely wrong on that point, it's quite bright for a low-cost projector and not 1/4 the brightness of this Epson.

Regarding the clarity of the image, this is clearly 1080p native output, but it's picture clarity makes it appear more like a 900p output. It's less clear than I would expect for a western branded 1080p projector, and I acknowledged as much previously. The Epson definitely wins on this point, but I make no effort to hide that fact.

Ad hominems are your classic closer with replies directed my way. When I receive a notification from you, it's typically some esoteric slice-of-life insult regarding my posts. It's irrelevant and unproductive.
Much like your entire padded post history. I’d gladly pay a premium to block your “content” if RFD afforded that luxury.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27109 posts
37052 upvotes
There's an ignore user feature. It's free, and it's in the user profile of each user.

God bless and be well, kid.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3029 posts
1633 upvotes
ON
Any good inexpensive screens to match these projectors? Thank you in advance.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2006
2748 posts
941 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: There's an ignore user feature. It's free, and it's in the user profile of each user.

God bless and be well, kid.
Religion is a cult based on a 2000 year old fable, but I am very well. Thanks for the tip!
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1353 posts
1220 upvotes
The Great North
MrBigNose wrote: Any good inexpensive screens to match these projectors? Thank you in advance.
This is the screen I use and am happy with.
https://www.amazon.ca/Elite-Screens-Man ... 19&sr=8-16

I tried the cheap foldable screen that comes in an envelope from Amazon but couldn't get the wrinkles out from the screen. Tried ironing it and laying it flat under the sun but the wind moved it around and the wrinkles got worse. I just gave up at that point and returned it to Amazon. Costs under $30 so would have been great if I was able to smooth it out.
The Elite screen is a manual pull down that just works with no headaches, got mine off Kijiji for $100 so it was a decent deal for a screen with not a single wrinkle.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1134 posts
634 upvotes
Thanks, For Epson 2100, 16:9 or 16:10 screen?
nivek_k2020 wrote: This is the screen I use and am happy with.
https://www.amazon.ca/Elite-Screens-Man ... 19&sr=8-16

I tried the cheap foldable screen that comes in an envelope from Amazon but couldn't get the wrinkles out from the screen. Tried ironing it and laying it flat under the sun but the wind moved it around and the wrinkles got worse. I just gave up at that point and returned it to Amazon. Costs under $30 so would have been great if I was able to smooth it out.
The Elite screen is a manual pull down that just works with no headaches, got mine off Kijiji for $100 so it was a decent deal for a screen with not a single wrinkle.
Aug 3, 2005
696 posts
323 upvotes
I got a cheap 150" screen from Amazon to go with my Epson (its made of white spandex) , the quality was ok but you could see light is going through the screen but then I added a layer of blackout curtain to the back of it and quality of screen became much better. I see that now in Amazon there are ones with black backing so if you dont want to spend $$$ these are good enough.

let the cheap screen vs thousand dollar screen war begin now...
Last edited by canadatoronto on Jul 19th, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2438 posts
1034 upvotes
Torontogeekster wrote: My 2040 failed and it’s not worth reaping. I missed the 2150 deal from Epson Canada clearance refurb with 2 year warranty for 579. Waiting for that deal again.
I have a 1080p Chinese projector for outdoor use. You cannot compare those to a main stream brand. Try looking in the corners. They’re horrible.
I been kicking myself all week. I had it in my shopping cart and got busy so forgot to checkout.
You think they will have it back at that price anytime soon? They are discontinued. I was surprised that had that many refurb to sell. Might be end of production ones that didnt pass QC.
Nov 29, 2012
146 posts
170 upvotes
Durham
I read the whole thread, and I am also not a fan of the cheap projectors. I just had this slight revulsion to the advice to buy a cheap chineseium projector. But the reason why i feel this way is because there almost no concrete examples of what to buy given. A bunch of people reading this thread might be new to projectors, and you're telling them to buy the cheap garbage on amazon. Remember, this category is full of advertising lies, with flat out wrong statements of the products capabilities. And people will read these and potentially believe some of it, or think it might just be half the capabilities advertised.

Things like 1080p! (native resolution 560p) 10 bajillion lumens! (50 lumens), only 30 db fan noise! Whisper quiet! (actually 60db when the brightness isnt at the lowest setting) Super sharp picture! (plastic lens, awful abberations in the corners)

There are probably reasons why most of the cheap projectors on amazon don't have any professional reviews, those reasons being the sheer amount of different brands offering one, and how much of them are garbage and not even worth a review. The Epson ones recommended are reviewed, have warranty, and are consistently excellent. And for me, I wouldn't want to mess around buying something twice.

And as far as bulbs go for the Epson vs buying a whole new unit when the bulb goes, remember how many forest fires are raging in this country, and why that is.

Promote repairability and longevity with your purchases, not landfill use.
If you look back at your last 5 years and cringe, you've grown as a person.