• May 10th, 2020 3:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12122 posts
7003 upvotes
Markham

[Amazon.ca] Escali Primo digital scale (Black) $29.59

If you're like me, you've likely been cooking a lot more FROM HOME. If you're like me, you've made bread with or without sourdough. A digital scale is a fantastic investment for bakers.

The Escali Primo digital scale is consistently rated as one of the best scales for the money...according to 3Camel, this is all time low price at $29.59

https://www.amazon.ca/Primo-Digital-Kit ... 172&sr=1-3

Colorful Best Seller
Twice rated as a best value by a leading independent consumer magazine; the Escali Primo Digital Scales are multifunctional and feature an easy to use two-button operation. The sealed control panel and rounded design make the scale easy to keep clean and very durable. Available in a selection of colors.

Simple Two-button Operation
The two-button controls are easy to operate and ensure quick and efficient use.

Sealed Control Panel
The display and controls are sealed under a protective shield to guard against accidental spills.

Tare Feature
Reset the scale to zero weight to measure multiple items or subtract the weight of container.

Automatic Shut-off
The scale will turn off after four minutes of inactivity to help conserve and extend battery life.

Optional Stainless Steel Platform
A dishwasher safe stainless steel platform cover is available separately

Warranty Terms
In addition to our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, Escali also guarantees most of its products against defects in material and workmanship in the product under normal use with a limited lifetime warranty for consumer scales
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
3898 posts
5047 upvotes
somewhere in B.C.
It was $28.80 on May 4

when I click on the 2 star ratings (which shows 3%) I get an error saying there are no 2 star ratings. Same result with 1 star or 3 star
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2003
1785 posts
1312 upvotes
I'm getting tired of all the instant bashing on this site.

This is a fine product, and in the top wirecutter rankings for kitchen scales.

Not all scales are created equally, accuracy matters as does stay on time and other factors.

Thanks OP for posting a good deal on a fine product.
Apr 13, 2010
201 posts
326 upvotes
The OP isn't a shill, some of us just like buying on quality, not price. The cheap scales can take much longer to converge on a reading. I had a thermometer that would take tens of seconds to reach temperature, which makes it almost useless in the kitchen.

We have this scale. It's worth every penny, and gives readings in about 1 second. They're basically like measuring cups you don't have to clean, so it saves a lot of effort for anything involving dough or batter.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12122 posts
7003 upvotes
Markham
weedb0y wrote: Way too expensive. You can pick digital scale for less than $20

Here’s one for $16. This is a shill post

https://www.amazon.ca/Etekcity-Multifun ... 08&sr=8-14
Not sure why you say shill post...I've never posted anything for this company and if you look at my history what I post is anything and everything I find a "Hot Deal".

This scale is top rated consistently. It has a auto off after like 4 mins. Some only stay on for 1 min or 2 min. It also reads faster. If you've cooked and used a scale or a thermometer, 2 secs is a lot when you put in an ingredient and you have to wait two secs for it to register. Added to that lifetime warranty...For $9 it's worth it.

This scale is replacing a $10 Starfrit model that I've been using and enduring for 10 yrs plus and it frustrated me enough that I've finally said pay a bit more and enjoy it.

These are the reasons the one you posted is not good.

Minimum Measurement: 3g-5g ===> sometimes you're only putting in 1or 2g of an ingredient (eg yeast in a No Knead bread recipe). This scale will not even register it!!!!
Auto-Off: 2 Minutes
1 yr warranty

Thanks for your posted opinion though.
Last edited by gr8dlr on May 10th, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 5, 2009
460 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
The Escali Primo is a very highly rated kitchen scale and it’s been featured by a few of the chef shows i watch on YouTube (including bon appetit). If you’re into baking, it’s imperative to have a good kitchen scale, so it’s better to buy a better quality one. Thanks for sharing!
Feb 14, 2006
588 posts
533 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
How much inaccuracy do they permit before they replace? Seeing as the unit has no calibration feature
Dec 14, 2006
849 posts
365 upvotes
Funny how much use these get once you have one. And, no, I'm not a drug dealer. :)
It's great for portioning out ground beef when you buy a large pack, etc.
And, my wife has gotten on the bread baking craze. Some of the recipes are quite exact.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1217 posts
730 upvotes
AB
I like ours, got about 2months ago. It does the job
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12122 posts
7003 upvotes
Markham
Ruciz wrote: How much inaccuracy do they permit before they replace? Seeing as the unit has no calibration feature
I would think if you're inaccurate by more than the tolerance ie +/- 1 gram I think you can ask for replacement.

I think the best way to check accuracy is to weigh coins as each coin has a set weight. eg. weight of a Cdn quarter is 4.4 grams. 2 qtrs s/b 8.8grams which is rounded to 8 or 9 grams. 10 quarters s/b 44 grams. Within the +/-, the scale is accurate.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12122 posts
7003 upvotes
Markham
OXO is rated higher by ATK but it's 50% more expensive. The one you linked is 5lb max. The Escali is 11lb max. So proper OXO comparative is $45.

https://www.amazon.ca/good-grips-lebens ... 170&sr=1-1
Last edited by gr8dlr on May 10th, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 12, 2020
20 posts
21 upvotes
Genblue wrote: I picked up this scale from Costco last week:

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Digital-W ... B081J8CQRP

I agree with the reviewers, the screws for the battery compartment are very tight but otherwise the scale is great.
Costco item number: 1368629
Price $21.99 (last year it went on sale for $5 off)
The price seems good but I didn't find Kitchen Scale at our local Costco...