Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Eton crank-powered, clip-on flashlight and smartphone charger $17.22 Amazon/$12.86 Eton direct

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2023 9:24 am
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
696 posts
2336 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Eton crank-powered, clip-on flashlight and smartphone charger $17.22 Amazon/$12.86 Eton direct

Crank powered USB cell phone charger
Powerful LED flashlight
Carabiner clip
Lightweight, compact design

May charge phone to call during emergency situation. Keep one in car in case stranded by severe weather. $17.22 when select amazon.ca as seller, $12.86 no tax if buying from Eton direct.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2132 posts
605 upvotes
Toronto
Cool idea but holding off based on some weird things I read about being compatible with iPhones after iPhone 3??

Also a review spoke about winding for 30min to get a 2% charge on an iPod.

Feels pretty impractical if there’s any merit to those comments
Feb 27, 2013
361 posts
588 upvotes
Québec
I used to have such a device, not this one specifically, but:

The thing broke from use because it really is designed for in a pinch. Also, it won't really charge our new phones, as they don't really output steady voltage nor do they negotiate any standards as there's not really a battery. It will at best output something like 5 volt some amps. The inside mechanism of the unit I had was basically a geared brushed DC motor and basically the handle broke, then the gears broke then the brushes died.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
696 posts
2336 upvotes
Indeed as impractical as it gets. But the fact that It can convert manual energy into whatever little electricity to just let you make a call in life threatening situation could be worth it to some. Car stranded in 6 feet of snow for hours till it and all device including this run out of power, you are about to freeze up, it's reassuring to know that half hour of wrist turning can give you 2% juice to at least make a call for help. Besides a lot of times people forget to charge portable battery pack left in car, at least this one has one option to charge it without using electricity.
Apr 17, 2015
770 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What happened to these kinetic powered lights? The hand crank and shake weight flashlights were a big thing in the past.. then they disappeared off the face of the planet..
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1079 posts
1402 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
Bostic wrote: Indeed as impractical as it gets. But the fact that It can convert manual energy into whatever little electricity to just let you make a call in life threatening situation could be worth it to some. Car stranded in 6 feet of snow for hours till it and all device including this run out of power, you are about to freeze up, it's reassuring to know that half hour of wrist turning can give you 2% juice to at least make a call for help. Besides a lot of times people forget to charge portable battery pack left in car, at least this one has one option to charge it without using electricity.
I'm fairly confident that no modern smartphone will complete boot up, connect to a cell tower, and give you time to make a call if the battery has only 2% of power above the manufacturer-programmed battery reserve.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
696 posts
2336 upvotes
redfd123 wrote: I'm fairly confident that no modern smartphone will complete boot up, connect to a cell tower, and give you time to make a call if the battery has only 2% of power above the manufacturer-programmed battery reserve.
Crank a little longer. Beats waiting for the inevitable.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1079 posts
1402 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
Bostic wrote: Crank a little longer. Beats waiting for the inevitable.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2019
696 posts
2336 upvotes
redfd123 wrote:
2007???? Oldies but goodies. Kind of like this type of gadget.
Sep 17, 2019
108 posts
96 upvotes
had one of these red cross things in the past. the red rubber parts turn all sticky after a few years
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23572 posts
5735 upvotes
Toronto
tomato72 wrote: had one of these red cross things in the past. the red rubber parts turn all sticky after a few years
that's by design.....so the handle sticks better to your palms as you crank that yuuuuuuuuuu..........crank that yuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..........
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1225 posts
1766 upvotes
$9.99 power bank charged up is probably just a bit more convenient in an emergency. Lucky my lithium jump pack can do just that.
Jun 6, 2011
246 posts
350 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Just stash a cheap USB power bank in the glove box...
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
I have a hand crank emergency radio and light. Bought it for camping, cottaging and emergencies. I pull it out every time the power goes out for an extended time. There a battery or something in there which holds the power generated.

I can see that a hand crank generator can generate enough power to make a call if needed in an emergency. For ppl in remote areas, might not be bad to have in the truck bc at worst case that movement will generate body heat and give your brain some mental hope. Is it much different than trying to rub sticks together to make a fire like we see on Survivor?

BTW You can't watch Netflix in the woods with it for those who consider that a emergency.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18546 posts
13339 upvotes
Markham
joeyjones6 wrote: Just stash a cheap USB power bank in the glove box...
Yes but ppl forget to charge it up periodically or they might take it out and forget to put it back. A lot of ppl don't even have a charge cable and brick for the car or wall in the car.

I have all three and have charged up the power bank b4 winter hit in my car. I don't live in a remote area even.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!