Amazon.ca

Etymotic ER2XR In-Ear Monitors/ear buds - $92.51

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2022 11:59 pm
Jul 12, 2005
896 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna
tvisforme wrote: Thanks as well OP, quite interested in these but I'm a bit concerned about some of the comments on Amazon regarding durability. Anyone here with these (or the SE) that can comment on that? Thoughts on these versus the Fiio FH1s for sound quality?
Just going on 2nd hand widespread consensus here...the etymonic line, especially the er2 and er4 (more lean to er2) line obliterates those FiiO's. And actually, are superior to even the FiiO FH7's which are around $600. Many audiophile-obsessed IEM experts actually believe the $100 ety's are unmatched up to $1000 cost of rival IEM makers. As far as durability goes, from what I understand, they're durable if not abused. And the weakest point is the cables, which are replaceable. Also, YMMV as far as fit goes. And trying different tips to achieve the most pleasing sound signature for you. ETY's are considered to be the reference. Most other IME's are artificially tuned to reflect a V curve. IE, increased low-end base and high highs, depressed mid-range and mid-base, mid-highs. If you like that kind of sound, and many of whatever you've already owned have it, then maybe they're not for you. However, given time with them, many find it better and cannot go back to boosted/altered tuned headphones. Hope this helps.
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
mrmungbean wrote: Highly dependent on your personal fit. From what I've seen online, they can fit deeper or shallower depending on your personal anatomy as well as the eartip size/style you choose. I personally cannot wear them side sleeping but I've read other people say they don't have any major issues.
I haven’t used the “3 tip” style shown in product pictures, do you recommend a replacement if one doesn’t find those comfortable?
KingCreole wrote: Just going on 2nd hand widespread consensus here...the etymonic line, especially the er2 and er4 (more lean to er2) line obliterates those FiiO's. And actually, are superior to even the FiiO FH7's which are around $600. Many audiophile-obsessed IEM experts actually believe the $100 ety's are unmatched up to $1000 cost of rival IEM makers. As far as durability goes, from what I understand, they're durable if not abused. And the weakest point is the cables, which are replaceable. Also, YMMV as far as fit goes. And trying different tips to achieve the most pleasing sound signature for you. ETY's are considered to be the reference. Most other IME's are artificially tuned to reflect a V curve. IE, increased low-end base and high highs, depressed mid-range and mid-base, mid-highs. If you like that kind of sound, and many of whatever you've already owned have it, then maybe they're not for you. However, given time with them, many find it better and cannot go back to boosted/altered tuned headphones. Hope this helps.
lol now I am confused. I cancelled order because of durability concerns and was looking at the FH3 because of slightly better reviews.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2021
235 posts
344 upvotes
darknebulae wrote: I haven’t used the “3 tip” style shown in product pictures, do you recommend a replacement if one doesn’t find those comfortable?
The ER2XR's come with the following:

I am fairly certain you can find a tip that fits your ears.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
1706 posts
1830 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
mrmungbean wrote: The ER2XR's come with the following:

I am fairly certain you can find a tip that fits your ears.
What are the parts below the yellow paper in the middle of the image?
[OP]
Jan 1, 2021
235 posts
344 upvotes
tvisforme wrote: What are the parts below the yellow paper in the middle of the image?
Extra filters and filter replacement tool.

Oh btw, the photo is from: https://banbeu.com/etymotic-research-er ... -a-budget/

This is their list of what comes in the box:
"4 pairs of double flange tips
2 pairs of triple flange tips
1 pairs of foam tips
Soft pouch
Instruction papers
Shirt-clip
Filter changer kit
Unbalanced 3.5mm MMCX cable"
Nov 23, 2014
113 posts
300 upvotes
Richmond, BC
artofwar wrote: Is one capable of side sleeping with these earbuds or will it protrude too much when wearing it?
I doubt anyone with normal ears can sleep with anything etymotic. Gonna say no on this one.
Jul 12, 2005
896 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna
darknebulae wrote: I haven’t used the “3 tip” style shown in product pictures, do you recommend a replacement if one doesn’t find those comfortable?

lol now I am confused. I cancelled order because of durability concerns and was looking at the FH3 because of slightly better reviews.
Here is some more good info on top of mrmungbeans excellent info:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/etymoti ... ns.930440/

Some people snip the lowest flange (the widest) of the 3-flange tips to achieve a better fit/seal for their ear canal. With these IEM's, it's all about getting a good seal/fit. Also, there are YouTube videos which show you tips on how to properly insert these into your ear canal. Just know that alterations and/or non-etym tips will change the sound signature intended by Etymonic, which is famously accurate. Tips will change the sound of any IEM, though FYI.

From what I'm reading, you've never known true sound isolation/noise canceling until you've tried Etymonic. :-). As always, subjective to a degree, so YMMV. I will definitely update to this thread with my feedback once I receive my pair from Amazon.
Last edited by KingCreole on Jan 17th, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 12, 2005
896 posts
279 upvotes
Kelowna
This info is relative for the er2xr/er2se series as well.

Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1040 posts
852 upvotes
dheepak10 wrote: It's diminishing returns as you go up the audio chain. You can safely drop the FDX1 from the list as it's a thin sounding IEM.

Blessing 2 is almost the same signature as the ER2XR but with better imaging and separation. The Blessing 2 Dusk is a more exciting tuning with a nice sub-bass boost, and slightly dialed down mids to a more neutral level.

Do note that the Blessing twins have a bigger nozzle and she'll, so fit may not suit smaller ears.
I have a pair of Arias coming in the mail from AE. How do you think these would compare?
Sep 8, 2021
8 posts
1 upvote
I don't know about etymotic's sound quality for in-ear headphones, but I've been using their ear plugs for years to go to rock concerts and they are amazing. So much better than using foam ear plugs (like construction workers). Instead of muffling the sound, it's like turning down the volume and super comfortable. I highly recommend their ear plugs.
Dec 14, 2008
721 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
danascully wrote: And the vast majority of people who aren't the .01% audiophiles could care less

Wired crap, lmao

In 2022

Have fun untagling or buying replacement wires
The expression is "couldn't care less". You also have no backing for the statistics claim. The basis of your post is a bit weird, and as you can see there are sufficiently interested parties on this very site. If you're looking for a soap box to preach wired vs wireless, you failed.
Oct 25, 2010
837 posts
404 upvotes
Pashura wrote: I don't know about etymotic's sound quality for in-ear headphones, but I've been using their ear plugs for years to go to rock concerts and they are amazing. So much better than using foam ear plugs (like construction workers). Instead of muffling the sound, it's like turning down the volume and super comfortable. I highly recommend their ear plugs.
Hi. I’m really interested in earbuds that can also work as earplugs to block noisy sounds. Also I’m not into sound quality just convenience and comfort. Would these be good or do they have a recommended wireless version?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2006
1453 posts
526 upvotes
Toronto
Ryes wrote: Hi. I’m really interested in earbuds that can also work as earplugs to block noisy sounds. Also I’m not into sound quality just convenience and comfort. Would these be good or do they have a recommended wireless version?
You can likely find something far cheaper if you're fine with "good enough" sound quality, and just want something to block out noise. Sound quality is one of the selling points of these.
Dec 13, 2017
176 posts
152 upvotes
Bought these a week or two ago and ended up returning because the package looked like it was resealed. Curious if anyone else came across something similar? Debating trying my luck again.
Images
  • ER2XR.jpg
Nov 9, 2021
491 posts
916 upvotes
Flonkeys wrote: Bought these a week or two ago and ended up returning because the package looked like it was resealed. Curious if anyone else came across something similar? Debating trying my luck again.
Fingers crossed for mine but the same has happened when I bought a Logitech mouse and a switch case from Amazon. Seems some returned items make it back to be resold as new.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3175 posts
1606 upvotes
Ottawa
rfder111 wrote: I only use BT for casual listening.
Before BTR5, I used μBTR (https://www.fiio.com/%CE%BCbtr), it was the early version. I can hear hissing noise between songs. Still, I love this little guy, very portable, long play hours.
With BTR5, no problem at all. It supports multiple BT codecs. When paired with Fiio M7, it automatically uses LDAC. You can also use it as a DAC. It is beautifully made.
From Fiio web site, it supports: AAC/SBC/aptX/aptX LL/ aptX HD/LDAC.
I was thinking more along the lines of Fiio UTWS5. It probably isn't as versatile as the BTR series since with those you can super easily change the IEMs you are using in a second or 2. But I only got 1 pair, and probably not gonna get another so that doesn't really matter. It seemed like it was only MMCX when I looked into it so that was a no go.
Jan 5, 2012
128 posts
109 upvotes
danascully wrote: Imagine paying $100 for earbuds with wires

Not to mention their claim of -38db NRR is EXTREMELY dubious seeing as how the best DOUBLE hearing protection

i.e best in ear plugs + ear muffs COMBINED gives you ~ 36DB

Enough of this false advertising
This guy again. Everything he posts is unnecessarily aggressive and meant to insult - why he's so bitter/angry at the world, no one knows. I remember when RFD wasn't so toxic...
Mar 21, 2019
55 posts
62 upvotes
Mississauga
Mr Snuff wrote: I have a pair of Arias coming in the mail from AE. How do you think these would compare?
Haven't heard the Aria, but from what I've read about it, you can't go wrong with either. The ER2XR scales well with a good source.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)