10303 posts
6665 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Etymotic Research ER4SR/XR in-Ear Monitors Headphone - $245/$258

14 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2118 posts
731 upvotes
aomous wrote: Come on, you need to add a bit more info to your post. Like why would anyone spend over $200 on some weird looking wired earbuds. These aren't even rated that greatly on Rtings.
IYKYK.
Sep 6, 2016
12 posts
30 upvotes
These are some of the most sonically accurate iems on the planet
Nov 24, 2011
15 posts
41 upvotes
SAINTE-FOY
Thanks OP! Bought ER4XR since my HF5 died a couple of weeks ago after a long 10 year run. :)
Apr 4, 2018
3 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
aomous wrote: Come on, you need to add a bit more info to your post. Like why would anyone spend over $200 on some weird looking wired earbuds. These aren't even rated that greatly on Rtings.
This is one of those "If you know, then you want them" kind of deal.

The previous incarnation of this model, the ER4, has been the standard in reference quality in-ear monitors. This is an update to them.

Here is a snippet of a review:
If you’re after resolution rather than cheap thrills, Etymotic is one of the first earphone brands to check out.
Not only does the name Etymotic Research Inc sound just like a science lab, but its new ER4SR headphones build on the success of the classic ER4 and ER4PT in-ears.

The Etymotic ER4SR are, alongside the ER4XR, one half of a new duo of Etymotic earphones. These are the ultra-accurate option, the SR standing for ‘studio response’.

There’s almost nothing to dislike about the Etymotic ER4SRs' sound. It’s not clinical, nor as cold as some of Etymotic’s classic models.

Bass detail is fantastic, its control is perfect - both taut and fast. It’s a little reserved though, meaning bass obsessives may want to look for something with greater low-end power.

At times it’s possible to regard the bass almost as an intellectual exercise, rather than as an assault on the eardrums, but it’s easy to analyse the anatomy of it.

For the ER4SRs the midrange is the strongest area, and a reminder of why spending over £300 on something that weighs just a few grammes (and isn't made of gold) isn’t automatically madness.

Detail is superb, without ending up in the potentially caustic granularity some headphones with supposedly revealing mids can be guilty of. It's the aural equivalent of an over-sharpened photo, but it's not something the Etymotics are prey to.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/etymotic/er4sr/review
Nov 15, 2020
639 posts
1164 upvotes
This is something that definitely only boomers would buy
Apr 3, 2009
314 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
aomous wrote: This is something that definitely only boomers would buy
Boomer audiophiles have dedicated listening rooms set up in their giant houses for speaker setups. Not sure why you’re fixated on this item; even regular mass consumer headphones are into this price range these days.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1252 posts
1963 upvotes
aomous wrote: This is something that definitely only boomers would buy
RFD probably has a higher % of boomers than the audiophile community Face With Tears Of Joy
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
Mar 4, 2013
536 posts
339 upvotes
The lowest that I've seen during Christmas was around $220 for either one.

I bought one during the summer @$320 and I thought I had a deal lol
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1251 posts
533 upvotes
Canada
Did anyone see Keepa history saying used price of $80 and $95 for the XR early Wed morning? Someone didn't like these?

Lowest I've seen (XR) is $241 in November, $271 in December.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1251 posts
533 upvotes
Canada
tzhuge wrote: Boomer audiophiles have dedicated listening rooms set up in their giant houses for speaker setups. Not sure why you’re fixated on this item; even regular mass consumer headphones are into this price range these days.
They probably meant wired. Even with BT module, it's still not true wireless.
Sep 6, 2016
12 posts
30 upvotes
Another good recommendation would be the ER2XR, they're cheaper and I find them to have a more pleasing tonality in exchange for some of the "speediness" that comes with the BA driver found in the ER4 lineup. The ER4XR in my opinion sound almost exactly like my yamaha HS7s (full size studio monitors) angled directly at my ears. They're excellent mixing and mastering tools and bring out all the minute technicalities in music. That being said, they have a bit of a narrow soundstage and some people might find them boring to listen to after a while due to their "flat" frequency response. 240 is an extremely good price for these, I paid 340ish I believe 5 years ago. Etymotic is a brand that many people don't know about, but they truly make some great iems. FYI I believe they started out as (and still are) a hearing aid and hearing research company that decided they wanted to make iems one day.
Dec 8, 2019
118 posts
148 upvotes
Thanks OP, been hearing great things about these forever, finally a good price to take the plunge!

Any idea if these are compatible with the MMCX bluetooth cables out there? I have an older Westone Bluetooth Cable (V1), but looks like the Ety MMCX connectors have an extra locking mechanism?
Sep 6, 2016
12 posts
30 upvotes
Etymotic mmcx connectors are somewhat proprietary as they are a bit more recessed to accommodate a locking tab so normal mmcx cables won't work. There are aliexpress sellers who sell cables with this special connector for a small premium I believe.
Dec 15, 2017
200 posts
162 upvotes
the real selling feature of Etymotic is their noise isolation is superb. You can wear these in place of earplugs if you work around heavy machinery or loud noises all day and listen to music.