Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Etymotic Research ER4XR in-Ear Monitors $241.34 Amazon.ca

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2020 7:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Etymotic Research ER4XR in-Ear Monitors $241.34 Amazon.ca

Triple Camel says this is the lowest price they have ever been but for some reason the date range only goes back a year. The lowest price it has for that time is 317 dollars.

They are well reviewed [Google around, there are lots of reviews) and Crinnacle's IEM ranking list rates them as an A- and there are only two IEMs above it on the ranking list that are cheaper or close to the price and one of them is also an A-.

What do you think? Is this a good deal for a good IEM?
16 replies
Member
Jan 11, 2007
260 posts
81 upvotes
Definitely good for the price. The non-XR version (which has less bass) was the detail monster back in the day - I still keep a pair for reference, even though I’ve since moved on.

Only possible quirk is that these stick out of your ears more than other IEMs.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 13, 2010
116 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
parrot5 wrote: Only possible quirk is that these stick out of your ears more than other IEMs.
I have the ER2XR, the bassier version and it should be the same dimensions. My experience is the opposite: they stick in much further than other IEMs; they're meant to be deeper in your ear canals, unless you wear them with the cables around your ears instead of downwards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
The ER2XR's cost less than half the price . . .are they a much better value compared to the ER4XR model?

Crinnacle says the ER4XR's are technically better and he ranks them an A- vs. the ER2XR's at a B+ but he says he prefers the sound of the ER2XR's and that they are a market disruptor for the price.

Are there better IEMs for the money than these two in their price brackets?

Edit: I am restraining myself from buying these because I want them but I don't need them . . .have you guys seen them at a much lower price or a lower price?

My main headphones are a pair of Jubilee 58XX and I REALLY like them. I have a couple of IEMs that I let my kids use but I was considering getting these so I would have a nice pair of isolating IEMs for myself.

If nothing can touch them or the ER2XRs for the money maybe I will go for it . . .
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 13, 2010
116 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
feminazi wrote: The ER2XR's cost less than half the price . . .are they a much better value compared to the ER4XR model?

Crinnacle says the ER4XR's are technically better and he ranks them an A- vs. the ER2XR's at a B+ but he says he prefers the sound of the ER2XR's and that they are a market disruptor for the price.

Are there better IEMs for the money than these two in their price brackets?

Edit: I am restraining myself from buying these because I want them but I don't need them . . .have you guys seen them at a much lower price or a lower price?

My main headphones are a pair of Jubilee 58XX and I REALLY like them. I have a couple of IEMs that I let my kids use but I was considering getting these so I would have a nice pair of isolating IEMs for myself.

If nothing can touch them or the ER2XRs for the money maybe I will go for it . . .
Yes. Crinacle ranks ER2XR as 3 stars over ER4XR's 1 star, which means beyond the value it provides given the price. A- is only a slight step above B+. You're trading a little less detail resolution for actual bass response. BA drivers typically struggle to compared to dynamic drivers in terms of bass, which is why he prefers it himself. His ranking is based on technical and objective perspectives as well, sometimes regardless of his preferences. Reading the short description comments alone gives you an good summarized idea that there many IEMs ranked much higher, but not necessarily better at all audio aspects. I bought my ER2XR at $150 earlier this year when it first decreased in price and at the time I predicted wrong, thinking it was only a temporary discount and now at $115 its value is crazy high. According to camelx3, it's currently at its lowest historical price.

In my experience with several cheap IEMs, the ER2XR has the most neutral tonality (except for a slight bump in the lower mids that I EQ 200 Hz down by 3 dB by a narrow bandwidth, but I listen at loud volumes, so it's more audible to me). The only drawbacks to me are it could use more sub-bass (this is coming from IEMs with tons of sub-bass) and the soundstage is below average. It overall sounds just "right". No sibilance or harshness, although the high peak tuning at ~2700 Hz very rarely may result in loud female voices on some songs I listen to. Not only does it isolate the ambient noise the most, but I hear zero background hissing in all my songs compared every other IEM I've owned.
Last edited by Soyabeaner on Nov 5th, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10427 posts
6933 upvotes
Maybe take a look at Moondrop Blessing 2?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
Soyabeaner wrote: Yes. Crinnacle ranks ER2XR as 3 stars over ER4XR's 1 star, which means beyond the value it provides given the price. A- is only a slight step above B+. You're trading a little less detail resolution for actual bass response. BA drivers typically struggle to compared to dynamic drivers in terms of bass, which is why he prefers it himself. His ranking is based on technical and objective perspectives as well, sometimes regardless of his preferences. Reading the short description comments alone gives you an good summarized idea that there many IEMs ranked much higher, but not necessarily better at all audio aspects. I bought my ER2XR at $150 earlier this year when it first decreased in price and at the time I predicted wrong, thinking it was only a temporary discount and now at $115 its value is crazy high. According to camelx3, it's currently at its lowest historical price.

In my experience with several cheap IEMs, the ER2XR has the most neutral tonality (except for a slight bump in the lower mids that I EQ 200 Hz down by 3 dB by a narrow bandwidth, but I listen at loud volumes, so it's more audible to me). The only drawbacks to me are it could use more sub-bass (this is coming from IEMs with tons of sub-bass) and the soundstage is below average. It overall sounds just "right". No sibilance or harshness, although the high peak tuning at ~2700 Hz very rarely may result in loud female voices on some the songs I listen to. Not only does it isolate the ambient noise the most, but I hear zero background hissing in all my songs compared every other IEM I've owned.
Thanks for the detailed response! Given that the ER2XR'S cost less than half as much as the 4'S they seem like a price/performance monster and giving up a bit of detail for less than half the cost seems like a good idea.

I can afford the 4's at the sale price but I am going for the 2's because of their impressive value.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 13, 2010
116 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
My motto is "No bass, no care" Smiling Face With Open Mouth. That's a minimum requirement for me in all audio playback.

Moondrop Blessing 2 is another high value one, but that's beyond my budget.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
chatbox wrote: Maybe take a look at Moondrop Blessing 2?
I saw that Crinnacle ranked them very highly and that their price wasn't outlandish but I can't seem to buy them in Canada and the cheapest price I can find for them online is 280 USD (sale starting on Nov 11th) so they are substantially more expensive than the sale price of the ER4XR's but they are probably decently better . . .

I am thinking that I will go with the ER2XR's for now and perhaps check the pricing and availability here in Canada on the Moondrop Blessing 2's.

The other IEMs I have that I handed down to my daughters are the 1More Quad and the BGVP DM6 I think . . .I love the fit of the BGVP's and they sound pretty good but apparently the ER4XR's are a lot better at A- vs a C+.

He ranks the 6xx headphones as a B+ and the 58xx I have are roughly equivalent and they are considered an absolute price/performance champ. He has the ER2XR's at a B+ so I suspect I will be happy with them.

Maybe some day I will want to really splurge on headphones but now is not the time for me.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2012
7220 posts
5924 upvotes
The only issue with Etymotic IEMs is that there is a strong tendency for ear wax to get stuck in their tiny filter, which you then need to change, by buying new ones at incredibly inflated prices for a tiny piece of plastic. This is a very easy process, but it can happen frequently and is incredibly frustrating.
Newbie
Sep 9, 2016
31 posts
7 upvotes
The ER4XR are good quality at that price point, neutral with a lot of detail and made up for the relative lack of bass on the ER4S (which I still have). The ER2XR is better value, but still has some very slight drawbacks. The comfort is hit or miss, I'm used to them but they go much further into your ear than most people would be comfortable with. Also as a side effect of that, they're effectively earplugs when in use. I've actually used the ER4S as ear protection in a pinch, at a pistol range.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 21, 2009
777 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
Love love love my ER4XR Etys. I actually think these block more external noise than most noise cancelling headphones since they insert so deep into your ear and create a perfect seal. They're the king of neutral IEMs. Definitely not for bassheads. I actually prefer this for working, since the bass isn't rattling my brain and lets me think. I've also had the HF5 in the past and I loved those as well. I ended up losing them and replacing them with the ER4XR. Not a massive difference in sound quality for the price difference but I definitely don't regret my purchase. Don't see the price OP listed anymore, but that was a crazy deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
Guys, if you select Amazon as the merchant the price is now $254! Look down and on the right! It was $241 still yesterday but they must be selling so an algorithm increased the price up or something! Maybe someone paid to have their price featured as well but I don't know.

It sounds like the ER4XR's are one of the top reference IEMs at or even somewhat above their price point and that the ER2XR is almost as good but that it offers stunning value!
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 13, 2010
116 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
Poutinesauce wrote: The only issue with Etymotic IEMs is that there is a strong tendency for ear wax to get stuck in their tiny filter, which you then need to change, by buying new ones at incredibly inflated prices for a tiny piece of plastic. This is a very easy process, but it can happen frequently and is incredibly frustrating.
I use them daily on week days for almost 4 months and haven't had this problem. There was one time I thought I did because of channel imbalance, so I inspected the filters and couldn't spot any. They're tiny and dark, so rather hard to see. I cleaned the triple ear flange tips, which for me are the only parts that dirty over time with wax, and switched the cable connectors left <> right. The channel imbalance continued for overnight, but luckily somehow over time it stopped.

Another point is on ear tips: At first I almost regretted buying it until I tested all 3 types included and found the triple flange is the only one that sounded right without being tinny/shrill or lacking bass. Even when inserting deep into my ears the stock double flange tip wasn't sufficient to create a tight seal for the bass.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
2194 posts
843 upvotes
I received the ER2XR's today and I am testing them out with some FLAC files and they do sound accurate but they also make it sound like the music is playing inside my head or something like that!! I remember reading that in a review but I really didn't think it would sound like that but it really does sound like the music is coming at you from a lot closer than you expect it to!

I love my Jubliee 58xx open headphones but I think these will be a nice pair to to have for their portability, solid accuracy and exceptional isolation!

Maybe I will move up the food chain in terms of IEMs in a few years or if a really sweet deal comes along that is too good to pass up.

If the ER4XR's were considered to be a LOT better than the ER2XR's I wouldn't have hesitated and I would have bought them at twice the price but everyone says these are close and some people say they prefer the sound of the 2's over the 4's.

Mods, it looks like this deal is dead so you can move it to expired deals now! :)

Top