Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

eufy Security, Wireless Video Doorbell (Battery-Powered, Dual Power Options) with 2K HD $139.99 ATL

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2022 8:26 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2003
869 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] eufy Security, Wireless Video Doorbell (Battery-Powered, Dual Power Options) with 2K HD $139.99 ATL

$139.99 is a new ATL according to Keepa. It seems better than the equivalent wired 2K version since it has dual power options, so you can either run it off battery or connect it to existing doorbell wiring to supply continuous power. You can also use it with your existing doorbell chime which you cannot do with the wired version.

Here's the product comparison across the eufy doorbell line

Note that it doesn't have continuous video recording, only the Bestbuy exclusive model has that feature for $200.
Thread Summary
See how the eufy compares to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best doorbell cameras!
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5941 posts
7815 upvotes
Many other brands of video doorbells are using lithium-ion as battery and customers are reporting problems during cold weather or even under freezing temperatures. I don't seem to find any review from this doorbell, are they using a different type of battery?
Feb 27, 2013
258 posts
499 upvotes
Québec
Has anyone tried this versus ring doorbell 2? I currently have a ring doorbell 2 but am tempted to switch to this due to the yearly 50$ fee.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2003
869 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
lcmt wrote: Many other brands of video doorbells are using lithium-ion as battery and customers are reporting problems during cold weather or even under freezing temperatures. I don't seem to find any review from this doorbell, are they using a different type of battery?
It says lithium ion battery. The specs say it can operate down to -20C. One of the Q&As on the Amazon page said it had no problems operating at -30-40C and another said no problems at -15C.
Feb 27, 2013
258 posts
499 upvotes
Québec
lcmt wrote: Many other brands of video doorbells are using lithium-ion as battery and customers are reporting problems during cold weather or even under freezing temperatures. I don't seem to find any review from this doorbell, are they using a different type of battery?
I have issues with my ring doorbell 2 at freezing temperatures, have had to recharge it twice during winter months yearly, and I don't get notifications when battery is about to or is dead....

And my ring doorbell 2 is hard wired. Below 4c it does not recharge. (as designed)

Specifically, my doorbell 2 will function even in sub zero but it will not recharge until above 0c. Aka it will deplete only.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1373 posts
694 upvotes
I had freezing temp issues too where the device fails to charge battery below -25C
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4773 posts
586 upvotes
Vancity
Thanks op, ordered!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5941 posts
7815 upvotes
The specification for the other doorbells is saying the same thing, but they still have problems. The nature of the lithium-ion battery is that you cannot charge the battery below zero degrees. However, I'm not sure about the behavior of using the battery while under freezing point.

I do notice some customers are saying it works under freezing temperatures. However, compared with the customer who declared it didn't work, it is only a small portion. I'm wondering if maybe the front door setting is different (like with or without a balcony) and/or the running time of the camera.
Derringdo wrote: It says lithium ion battery. The specs say it can operate down to -20C. One of the Q&As on the Amazon page said it had no problems operating at -30-40C and another said no problems at -15C.
Last edited by lcmt on May 22nd, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5941 posts
7815 upvotes
I believe the camera is the one using the majority of the power from the battery. I believe if the camera is being activated many times, then the battery juice will be used up a lot faster.
draggonfly wrote: I have issues with my ring doorbell 2 at freezing temperatures, have had to recharge it twice during winter months yearly, and I don't get notifications when battery is about to or is dead....

And my ring doorbell 2 is hard wired. Below 4c it does not recharge. (as designed)

Specifically, my doorbell 2 will function even in sub zero but it will not recharge until above 0c. Aka it will deplete only.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2003
869 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
lcmt wrote: I'm wondering if maybe the front door setting is different (like with or without a balcony) and/or the running time of the camera.
This makes sense if the doorbell is in an enclosed area like a covered porch, which would help keep temperatures warmer even in cold weather. Mine will be in an enclosed area so hopefully it has no issues with the cold temperatures.
Nov 11, 2010
200 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal
Derringdo wrote: $139.99 is a new ATL according to Keepa. It seems better than the equivalent wired 2K version since it has dual power options, so you can either run it off battery or connect it to existing doorbell wiring to supply continuous power. You can also use it with your existing doorbell chime which you cannot do with the wired version.

Here's the product comparison across the eufy doorbell line

Note that it doesn't have continuous video recording, only the Bestbuy exclusive model has that feature for $200.
Had one and returned it. The battery version doesn’t have pre-record even if you hardwire it meaning that you catch the back of amazon delivery guy more than a few times. Ended up getting ring pro 2 and love it
Feb 11, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
winnipeg
I have used the bell during this winter season in Winnipeg and no issues. My Eufy smart lock did freeze though a couple of times.
Nov 26, 2021
161 posts
249 upvotes
We're using Aiwit brand doorbells for both back and front door. This winter in Montreal it touched to -38 celcius and had no issues. The batteries last 2 to 3 months easily.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2017
1013 posts
2260 upvotes
lel
Tbh both me and the partner are too lazy to charge this.. wire it and save the trouble
Virgin $30 for $15 GB
Good toilet paper/paper towel deals
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
3225 posts
2503 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ditachan wrote: I had freezing temp issues too where the device fails to charge battery below -25C
Even your Car battery has half the charge once it reaches this temperature. I don't see anything to be done to remedy this otherwise besides hard wiring it.

Best to hardwire for a steady current.
Nov 27, 2019
163 posts
285 upvotes
Calgary
I'm interested. Everything in the Amazon link says it's the 2K version, but the main picture shows the 1080p version. Am I missing something?
Feb 11, 2019
54 posts
109 upvotes
Hi, I had this for the last 18 month, charged 3-4 times, its outside in Quebec temperature, but I have a private entrance, so low traffic. No issues, love it.

The only hiccup is that it's a bit slow to start recording, so if you run up to it, it will barely catch your face.

Also its the older version, new version has a dual cam with a better coverage.

Otherwise the image is crystal clear.
Jun 6, 2013
697 posts
976 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For what it’s worth, I have the regular wired version and it had no problems in the Toronto winter. I will say the face recognition is pretty crappy. Misses the delivery guy pretty often and then constantly somehow identifies my neighbour’s car as a person.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)