• Last Updated:
  • Dec 26th, 2019 3:20 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Eufy Video Doorbell $167.99 no monthly fees

Good deal on the Eufy (by Anker) video doorbell. Pretty much like a Nest Hello or Ring video doorbell but no monthly subscription. Like the nest, it requires existing wiring from your old doorbell and a decent newer doorbell transformer (you can upgrade an old transformer).

https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Doorbell ... PXI&sr=8-8

I have one at home and got another for my business. It works very well...sends a notification of movement to your phone and also when someone doorbell ring will go to your phone and allow you to see and talk with someone at the door. The motion sensitivity can be adjusted. Unlike the nest, it doesn't record constant video to a cloud but then you avoid the monthly sub fees.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Dec 26th, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed retailer field
20 replies
Sep 22, 2009
55 posts
56 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been looking at purchasing one of these but a little concerned about the winters in Canada. Have you had any issues with cold weather?
Jan 13, 2009
382 posts
223 upvotes
Can comment on this review "I have one more complaint. The eufy Security app logs me out if I don't use it for more than a few days, resulting in me missing notifications from the app"?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes
Here in PEI, we don't get the super frigid temperatures that occur in Sask and Alta....so far no issues with -10C.
Oct 12, 2014
809 posts
346 upvotes
London, ON
Can it record 24/7 to local storage?
Public Mobile
$38 month
5GB Data
Unlimited international texting
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1167 posts
3033 upvotes
New Brunswick
Not being able to use my existing doorbell chime is kinda lame, but the local storage is intriguing. Since it’s not dependent on the cloud, notification lag shouldn’t be a thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes
It has 4gig local storage so it just records motion events or doorbell events. The supplied chime works pretty well and there are several chime options. The video quality is about on par with the Nest....so for someone that just wants motion/doorbell alerts and recording of those events with no subscription....this works well. When motion is detected, it records and stores a few seconds before the event.....I have read that other doorbells end up saving video of the end of the event....someone walking away.

It's not perfect but for the price and no monthly fees....I am very pleased.
Oct 12, 2014
809 posts
346 upvotes
London, ON
Tuppin wrote: It has 4gig local storage so it just records motion events or doorbell events. The supplied chime works pretty well and there are several chime options. The video quality is about on par with the Nest....so for someone that just wants motion/doorbell alerts and recording of those events with no subscription....this works well. When motion is detected, it records and stores a few seconds before the event.....I have read that other doorbells end up saving video of the end of the event....someone walking away.

It's not perfect but for the price and no monthly fees....I am very pleased.
Can you add an SD card for more local storage?
Can you view the feed live from outside your LAN?
Public Mobile
$38 month
5GB Data
Unlimited international texting
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14538 posts
3498 upvotes
Very tempted
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35247 posts
21225 upvotes
Center of Universe
BranCracker wrote: Not being able to use my existing doorbell chime is kinda lame, but the local storage is intriguing. Since it’s not dependent on the cloud, notification lag shouldn’t be a thing.
You can use your existing chime, provided the transformer is large enough to power the doorbell camera.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
14538 posts
3498 upvotes
The storage is with the doorbell..so if someone pulls out n take away then u r screwed! Lol
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Mar 4, 2017
165 posts
68 upvotes
Seriously contemplated this but the reviews points out it’s lower resolution, on-board storage and notification lag as cons. Still great value for the price.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes
kiasu wrote: The storage is with the doorbell..so if someone pulls out n take away then u r screwed! Lol
Actually, you can subscribe to cloud storage if you prefer. Also, as soon as it detects motion, it would send a notification to your phone with a screenshot. That should still be available to see on your phone. You could argue any camera is no good if someone wears a mask etc.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes
Confused99 wrote: Seriously contemplated this but the reviews points out it’s lower resolution, on-board storage and notification lag as cons. Still great value for the price.
Actually, the resolution is pretty good. One reviewer switched form a nest hello and said the Eufy was better in terms of resolution. The aspect ratio (4:3) is better than the Ring as it doesn't crop out as much top and bottom of the video. There are lots of happy owners when you read the reviews.
Oct 2, 2015
526 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I bought 2 of these during their Black Friday sale in the states (99$ USD) and they are fantastic. I have no lag at all with the motion detection or notifications. It's max 2-3 seconds.

Quality is great and it does record at 2k resolution. Able to cast to your TV via Google or Alexa as well.

The only thing I'll suggest is make sure your transformer is cable of powering it up. In an older house with a finished basement it took us a week to find the transformer hidden in the basement ceiling and had to cut into the roof but that's a unique case I'm sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3605 posts
927 upvotes
Home
Tuppin wrote: Actually, you can subscribe to cloud storage if you prefer. Also, as soon as it detects motion, it would send a notification to your phone with a screenshot. That should still be available to see on your phone. You could argue any camera is no good if someone wears a mask etc.
I think his concern is that the storage is indeed inside the doorbell device, so if someone takes it, the person also gains access to all the recordings, and you lose access to them. Unless you recorded on phone real-time, you lose footage of that thief as well.

If cloud, I would rely on a more established company at any cost.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2006
1000 posts
220 upvotes
Assuming a potential thief comes up to your door, he might:
A- Not notice a video doorbell and be recorded.
B- Notice a video doorbell and abort their plans.
C- Notice a video doorbell and recognise that it is a Eufy doorbell which stores images on the doorbell and know that if he takes the doorbell he takes the evidence with him.
D- Notice a video doorbell and not know that most video doorbells record to the cloud and take it and just be lucky it wasn't cloud recorded.

In any case, even if he takes your Eufy doorbell, the doorbell probably had time to send you a notice that someone is at your door....then when you can't see the even because the doorbell is gone, then you know something is up.

I think the lower price and no subscription cost, offsets the risk of C or D above.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3605 posts
927 upvotes
Home
Tuppin wrote: Assuming a potential thief comes up to your door, he might:
A- Not notice a video doorbell and be recorded.
B- Notice a video doorbell and abort their plans.
C- Notice a video doorbell and recognise that it is a Eufy doorbell which stores images on the doorbell and know that if he takes the doorbell he takes the evidence with him.
D- Notice a video doorbell and not know that most video doorbells record to the cloud and take it and just be lucky it wasn't cloud recorded.

In any case, even if he takes your Eufy doorbell, the doorbell probably had time to send you a notice that someone is at your door....then when you can't see the even because the doorbell is gone, then you know something is up.

I think the lower price and no subscription cost, offsets the risk of C or D above.
I'm not trying to downvote you or this product, just saying his concern is valid to many people, and it's a common potential problem to many cameras with local storage attached to the device. I also use Wyze cam with microsd attached to the cam, so I myself am a satisfied user of such products, especially from value-to-price point of view.
If it were me, I would be less concerned with the thief taking the doorbell or being able to see events recorded, but mostly concerned with the fact that I would lose the footage of the entire event or possibility to observe the thief, if the cam is broken or taken.