Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Eyez-On Envisalink 4, makes your old alarm panel into a smart panel, $109.95 Deal is back on Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2022 3:43 pm
Jul 24, 2011
12 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
SpykeYs wrote: Hi !

Just had a call with a very nice lady at Eyez on and she confirmed there was initially a mistake on their website.

I am being told you can use the DUO without a subscription and the DUO will perform as an envisalink without the LTE connectivity.

Really? I think I spoke to the same very nice lady yesterday and she mentioned that the EVL 4 would be a better option (+sidekick when i'm ready to sub) since i'm still on contract with my current monitoring station, but may want to subscribe to their monitoring in a few months. I had ordered the DUO but cancelled it based on that. basically I would want to use the EVL4's regular functionality (and integrating with home assistant, etc), and have the option to sub to their cheaper monitoring in the future.

Maybe I misunderstood what she was saying and the DUO can accomplish this (and is much cheaper than buying the EVL4 plus sidekick).
Apr 10, 2015
116 posts
142 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
k22chan wrote: How would you go about replacing the expired SIM that comes with the Duo?
Well, I'm guessing if you wanted the service in the future, you could call Eyezon and they may send you another sim... then open the housing and insert the new sim.

I mean think about it... SIMs die all the time with regular carriers. Eyezon really can't expect you to buy a new unit due to a failed SIM. They would have to send you a new SIM just like carriers do.

So if its expired, same procedure.

Again, just a guess.
Jul 11, 2004
985 posts
368 upvotes
Gee wrote: I get a discount for using a monitoring centre. I pay 15$ a month but the discount is only 100$ off my premium annually

If you are inclined, you can set up the Home Automation I mentioned earlier and it tracks all sensors with time and date of when it was tripped. Down to the second. You can set the length of the log. I have mine set for 90 days. I think that’s a little over kill, you don’t really need more than 10 days and 30 is probably the ideal amount.

The EyezOn app will only tell you if the sensors are tripped in real time, there are no logs for the sensors.
I have an elderly parent with a the DSC PC1832 based alarm system which is the same as mine. Found out that the annual discount for a monitored alarm is $90. Also found out that my mom hasn't set the alarm in over two years! So, instead, we will notify the insurance company to take off the discount and purchase the Envisalink 4. I'll look into that Home Automation you mention.
Dec 10, 2013
48 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
derdev wrote: Do you need to know the installer password/pin for the old board to dump the settings?
It's being awhile, but I think you do.
Jan 18, 2022
13 posts
10 upvotes
There are 4 screws on the bottom of the DUO, take them out to remove the backplate which reveals the SIM card holder.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1435 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
Can insurance companies force you to get monitoring service? (don't care about their discount)

The insurance broker of my friend told him for high value houses (over $2 mil) he MUST get home security service, otherwise no insurance companies insures his house.
to me it makes no sense but that's what he said.
Mar 15, 2010
689 posts
155 upvotes
Richmond Hill
greeced wrote: I reread the description on the website and it looks like the device WILL operate without a subscription.. only needs one of LTE is used. I separated the portion that states it.

I'll be hooking mine up this weekend and will test

"EyezOn LTE Service

A subscription to the EyezOn LTE service as well as a qualifying base service is required for the DUO to operate in LTE mode,

>>it will operate like an EnvisaLink without the subcription.<<

You can pick from either the EnvisAlarm Monitoring Service or Envisalerts Plus Service and add the EyezOn LTE service for only $4 per month on top of the base service cost. SIM is included.*x
Please let us know once you install this.. I'm interested to know if I can use my own sim
Mar 15, 2010
689 posts
155 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So Sidekick LTE Dual-Path Cellular Alarm Backup Module for EnvisaLink 4 can function as backup to home internet without subscription for a year??
Jan 18, 2022
13 posts
10 upvotes
No, they said they will eat the cost of the installed SIM for one year as a courtesy for those who are not sure if they want LTE backup. After that you will have to get another SIM from them if you want to subscribe to LTE backup. Oh and no, you can't use your own SIM as you have to be on their network, not the Internet. It's kind of like how Blackberry's used to work. I asked.

$4/month is pretty good, do you know of a better deal for cellular data? I'm looking for something to backup my Wifi lights and thermostats at the cottage.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2325 posts
1504 upvotes
Markham
am I right to say for some who subscribe to their monitoring, it is $8 a month or $8+4 if using LTE ? I assume either subscription model does NOT req a landline ?

For my user case, I am paying TMC $10 a month and have a VOIP line that costs $3 a month. So not much savings using EyezON subscription if I need active subscription to maintain home insurance discount ?
The only benefit is I can make my panel "smart" and able to control via my phone. But then potentially open to hacking risk once it is on my network ?
Jan 18, 2022
13 posts
10 upvotes
savemoresaveoften wrote: The only benefit is I can make my panel "smart" and able to control via my phone. But then potentially open to hacking risk once it is on my network ?
Well, that's the main reason of installing an envisalink isn't it? We get all of the "smart home" monitoring features you see Rogers and Telus pushing, but for free. So for self-monitoring you can go down to $0 per month and still get all of your notifications for alarms and remote control on the app. My insurance gives me ~$105 per year off of my house and ~$150 off of my cottage for having a monitored system for fire and water so its a no-brainer to add the Eyezon monitoring service, I'm actually up a few bucks on the house and $50 on the cottage. I need the LTE backup though at the cottage as my satellite internet service goes down a lot so I need the backup. I received my DUO already and am going up tomorrow to swap out my envisalink for it.
May 16, 2010
452 posts
294 upvotes
Vancouver
savemoresaveoften wrote: am I right to say for some who subscribe to their monitoring, it is $8 a month or $8+4 if using LTE ? I assume either subscription model does NOT req a landline ?

For my user case, I am paying TMC $10 a month and have a VOIP line that costs $3 a month. So not much savings using EyezON subscription if I need active subscription to maintain home insurance discount ?
The only benefit is I can make my panel "smart" and able to control via my phone. But then potentially open to hacking risk once it is on my network ?
doubt there is much of a hacking risk.. i have been using mine with Home Assistant for years, works great.. It also opens up all the sensors in the alarm for automations, etc.
Mar 15, 2010
689 posts
155 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kracker84 wrote: No, they said they will eat the cost of the installed SIM for one year as a courtesy for those who are not sure if they want LTE backup. After that you will have to get another SIM from them if you want to subscribe to LTE backup. Oh and no, you can't use your own SIM as you have to be on their network, not the Internet. It's kind of like how Blackberry's used to work. I asked.

$4/month is pretty good, do you know of a better deal for cellular data? I'm looking for something to backup my Wifi lights and thermostats at the cottage.
So basically you get free LTE coverage for one year?
I have data sharing account with Rogers with two data only SIM that I don't pay. I was going to use one of those SIM cards in this unit
Apr 10, 2015
116 posts
142 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
seadooxp30 wrote: Please let us know once you install this.. I'm interested to know if I can use my own sim
It's already been stated that there is a SIM slot in there, but I don't think it will work with any other SIM outside of the ones EYEZON provides.

Not exactly sure what data is sent or how it would be configured to use a different carriers SIM
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2325 posts
1504 upvotes
Markham
some mentioned there is a holidy15 off code if buy direct from eyezon website ? Where do you input the promo code ? The screen for checkout looks very primitive...
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1444 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
growler wrote: I do like this aspect of being alerted on an app and disarm/arm the alarm system. I'll need to do some more reading as I would like to be able to see which sensors are being tripped whether the system is armed/disarmed and being able to bypass sensors (such as an open window for ventilation) directly from the app. A RING alarm system does have that logging and functionality.
Just a heads up, but the Ring Alarm system does have a history page where you can see when sensors are tripped. You can also easily enable/disable each sensor from each arming mode (home/away) easily within the app.
Jul 11, 2004
985 posts
368 upvotes
slim_shady wrote: Just a heads up, but the Ring Alarm system does have a history page where you can see when sensors are tripped. You can also easily enable/disable each sensor from each arming mode (home/away) easily within the app.
Yes, I have a Ring alarm system up at a cabin. Unsure what happened (didn't catch anyone lurking around on the Ring camera system), but, the sliding door on my shed had 'moved' sufficiently to indicate that the door had opened. I was alerted on my Ring app and I shut off the siren once I determined that no one was actually prowling around. Because the shed door was still indicating 'open', I had the ring system ignore that one sensor and re-armed the system. I also reviewed the historical logs on the app. All of this was done remotely. Being able to have such level of control on an alarm system is great in so many ways when the site being protected is remote.

It doesn't look like the combination of using Home Assistant and the Envisalink EnvisAlerts Service will get me the same functionality as a Ring system. But...not a huge issue because there is no way I'm going to replace the current DSC alarm system. Just not worth it.
Feb 19, 2003
30 posts
93 upvotes
Received this today, pretty easy to hook up to my DSC, got it basically working. However, my DSC has an existing expansion module, and only the first 8 zones are showing up. Looked at the instructions, and it says something about having to Daisy chain them, but doesn't quite get it and don't want mess up the existing setup. Can anyone point me to some resources that is easier to understand, maybe some pictures to show how to connect everything?

Existing wiring in the panel is super messy.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
2325 posts
1504 upvotes
Markham
newbie question:

My alarm panel is connected to the transformer on the side of my fuse box to get power. Its unclear which fuse in the fuse box is for the transformer, and with WFH, I dont want to turn off main power to the entire house.
Is it ok if I just detach the red//yellow twisted wire from the panel to power off the panel before adding the envisalink4 (without touching anything in the fuse box at all ?) Since its AC, there are red/yellow twisted pair and black/grey twisted pair into the panel right now. By just removing one of the pair, I am basically shutting the power down to the panel, am I thinking right ?
Apr 10, 2015
116 posts
142 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
This is probably old news as I haven't read through all the replies, but I just hooked up my duo and can confirm it works without a subscription just as a 4 would.

I haven't really figured out how LTE would work as I haven't signed up for Envisalerts Plus, so can't really comment on that.

I have hooked it up to my DSC 5010 that has 10 zones (8+2 motion).

Seems to work well.

The app leaves a lot to be desired, the website is functional but could be better.

Only thing that bothers me is that you cannot have special characters in your password. Alphanumeric only. Seems like a security flaw.

Texts are received fine though Telus, and the app does notify you on conditions you set.

Very easy set up. Wish they provided longer 22/4 cable though. The 6 inch job may work for the 4, but the duo needs to be placed outside the panel as it won't fit. Ended up using 18/4 thermostat wire. Lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)