Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fasgear 90 degree USB C to Type C cables w 10Gbps, 100W PD: $15.71 (3ft) - $22.51 (10ft)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 9:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
2374 posts
4625 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Fasgear 90 degree USB C to Type C cables w 10Gbps, 100W PD: $15.71 (3ft) - $22.51 (10ft)

Was in the market for a few more 90 degree Type-C cables to power a new Legion 7 Gen 6 laptop and an external NVMe adapter I picked up recently and saw these cables from Fasgear are currently on sale at 15% off. These have one end at 90 degrees (good for laptops, etc), they are nylon braided, they come in three different lengths (3ft, 6ft, 10ft) and three different colours (black, red, white). This isn't the lowest price they've ever been, but close, by a few cents. I've been using these Fasgear cables for various purposes for about a year. They are good quality, stand up to abuse and do everything they advertise, so far.

Not all USB-C to USB-C cables are created equal. These Fasgear's use an E-marker chip to negotiate the highest Power Delivery your USB-C charger can deliver (up to 100w via 20V, 5A), they can transfer data up to the full USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds of 10Gbps (depending on length), and they support full res 4K @ 60Hz, making them good choices for PD charging, video links and/or fast data transfers. You can find cheaper USB-C to USB-C cables, but they usually don't support all the above features of the Gen 2 standard.

39 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1072 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
Am i the only one who finds detailed posts with pictures about charging cables a little bit suspicious?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
2374 posts
4625 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote: Am i the only one who finds detailed posts with pictures about charging cables a little bit suspicious?
Yeah, ok. Been posting here about everything under the sun for 12 years, from laptops to phones to audio equipment to... well, everything. But sure.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21141 posts
25102 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: Yeah, ok. Been posting here about everything under the sun for 12 years, from laptops to phones to audio equipment to... well, everything. But sure.
You're suspiciously helpful. How dare you... /s
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5443 posts
2873 upvotes
West Vancouver
20 bucks for a USB cable.

Yeah right...
Nov 4, 2003
659 posts
67 upvotes
Thanks for this. My new car ('21 Audi) came with beautiful branded cables and the USBC doesn't even work for rapid charging Android. I've been looking for a good right angle cable. Cheers.
Feb 6, 2019
181 posts
269 upvotes
Niagara Region
Thanks OP, these are excellent cables and worth the extra few bucks over cheapo ones claiming to offer the same features. I purchased the 3ft red one back in May and it works perfectly. I bought and returned 2 others that simply did not offer the fast charging I was looking for. Not all cables are created equal.
Sep 1, 2008
415 posts
764 upvotes
I also like that it's angled on one side and straight on the other. More options. For 6ft, the white color is the lowest price. Thanks OP.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
2374 posts
4625 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: You're suspiciously helpful. How dare you... /s
Ha... yeah, my suspiciously thorough, ways. Man, if only he/she were to read some of my many paragraph'd screeds ... uh, I mean, reviews of some items I post about. Suspicious, indeed! Face Screaming In Fear
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10621 posts
5914 upvotes
Paris
Just ordered a crappier version of one of these to test in my car. Standard wire sticks out too far and is easy to bump. Thanks OP.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13171 posts
1997 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote: Am i the only one who finds detailed posts with pictures about charging cables a little bit suspicious?
Do you prefer:

Title: Usb cable
Summary: USB-C amazon $20

????
Sep 8, 2007
281 posts
211 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote: So, you're going to trust powering your $3,000 laptop at 100W, 20V-5A, using the $5 dollarama cable you picked up while shopping for gummie bears? More power to you (pun intended).

$25.00 - 6ft USB-C Charge Cable (2m)
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/M ... e-cable-2m
Memes aside if you're going to go this way with your argument can we get into the technicals? Either by saying why the $5 Dollarama cable is bad, or why the $25 Cable is good?

I'm getting PTSD from the bygone era "gold plated HDMI cables" and I would appreciate some info so I can differentiate and make an informed decision.
Jul 21, 2013
840 posts
532 upvotes
Calgary
SonicSam wrote: Memes aside if you're going to go this way with your argument can we get into the technicals? Either by saying why the $5 Dollarama cable is bad, or why the $25 Cable is good?

I'm getting PTSD from the bygone era "gold plated HDMI cables" and I would appreciate some info so I can differentiate and make an informed decision.
I bought some 10ft USB-C cables from Amazon basics and I think we can't go much lower quality wise. Cheap cable, but flimsy AF. I rather spend a few bucks extra to have something the lasts a bit longer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
2374 posts
4625 upvotes
SonicSam wrote: Memes aside if you're going to go this way with your argument can we get into the technicals? Either by saying why the $5 Dollarama cable is bad, or why the $25 Cable is good?

I laid out the technicals in the OP: these cables include an E-marker chip that allows the cable itself to negotiate between the USB-C charger's max power output and the USB-C port's max power input. Without this chip, power is basically limited to a max of 60 watts, although some real cheap quality cables pass higher current anyway, out of spec... and that's not good. This cable is also full 3.1 Gen 2 compliant, allowing up to full 10Gbps data speeds, length permitting. These also fully pass video to the spec (4K@60Hz and even higher, up to 144Hz in some cases). Near every other cheap USB-C cable can't pass video at all or do so at frustratingly intermittent quality and refresh rate. Most of the cheap cables also limit data speeds to 480 Mbps or Gen 1 speeds, even as some of them falsely advertise Gen 2. These Fasgear cables also use thick copper wires, tight braiding and quality rubber stopped connectors, making them safe and last longer. They are built very well and, in this particular case, these cables have both straight and 90 degree ends for wider versatility.

It's actually pretty hard to find a decent USB-C cable that lives up to its stated claims, even ones that claim otherwise: charge capability, data speeds and/or competent video passthrough. The Fasgear cables do all three, are built extremely well and look great. That's why I made this thread to begin with. Most USB-C cables won't even fast charge your phone correctly, let alone your multi-thousand dollar laptop or support any of the other 3.1 Gen 2 features. $15-$22 dollars for up to a 10ft cable with this capability isn't expensive, it's relatively cheap compared to it's peers.

I hear you on those Monster HDMI cables and their kin (I got sucked in as well over the past 35 years, although I do have some expensive but very capable cables in my home theatre and will stand by them). While there is no doubt Monster HDMI cables were high quality, you could pass an HDMI signal easily and with little degradation with much cheaper cables. That's not what we're talking about here, however. I got called out for being too "detailed" in the OP, but you asked for more so hope that helps.
Jan 12, 2004
925 posts
713 upvotes
Overall quality aside, 90 degree cables are great and are much less likely to break overtime if you like to sit the bottom of your phone on your chest or belly while you charge and surf. I also like using them on my laptop so the cord isn’t just sticking out from the side.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10621 posts
5914 upvotes
Paris
Mr Snuff wrote: Overall quality aside, 90 degree cables are great and are much less likely to break overtime if you like to sit the bottom of your phone on your chest or belly while you charge and surf. I also like using them on my laptop so the cord isn’t just sticking out from the side.
“Surf”
Jun 30, 2014
129 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Elrondolio wrote: Ha... yeah, my suspiciously thorough, ways. Man, if only he/she were to read some of my many paragraph'd screeds ... uh, I mean, reviews of some items I post about. Suspicious, indeed! Face Screaming In Fear
The /s notes end sarcasm just so you know.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
2374 posts
4625 upvotes
biggestbarnacle wrote: Any wall chargers to go along with this deal?
I picked up this Hyphen-X 100W GaN PD charger (2xUSB-C 100W shared, 2xUSB-A 18W fast charging, dynamic power sharing, etc) for $49.99 (plus $6 import duty, no tax) two days ago which was a steal. Unfortunately the price jumped to $65.75 last night but I'd keep an eye on it if you're in the market as that may be temporary. It is sold by the manufacturer but fulfilled by Amazon so returns won't be an issue. I have the black version of this that I bought for my wife's laptop about 8 months ago and its been working great, very versatile and, thanks to its Gallium Nitride design, very small and compact (palm of hand) yet runs cool.

Hyphen-X 100W GaN PPS Type C Fast PD Charger Compatible with MacBook Pro Air, iPhone, Galaxy, Dell XPS USB C Laptop Devices 4 Ports (White)
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08LNPCLD3