Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Filtrete Healthy Living Ultra Allergen Reduction AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 1500, 20 x 20 x 1-Inches, 6-Pack

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 7th, 2019 11:18 am
Jan 14, 2009
219 posts
1782 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Filtrete Healthy Living Ultra Allergen Reduction AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 1500, 20 x 20 x 1-Inches, 6-Pack

Filtrete Healthy Living Ultra Allergen Reduction AC Furnace Air Filter, MPR 1500, 20 x 20 x 1-Inches, 6-Pack

This is a 6 pack. Normally goes for $109-$130 on Amazon.ca

9 left in stock right now

Works out to $5.40 per filter. Sells for $23.87 for 1 filter at home depot:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.20-i ... 07712.html
14 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks!

In before... these will destroy your furnace!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
6467 posts
460 upvotes
Scarborough
Good price but not the size I use :(
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
2293 posts
1413 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
'pack' deals on filters on amazon usually have a 80% chance of just being 1 packs.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
For once it is the size I need, and the price isn't bad - normally I don't think it's worth paying extra for premium filters since they don't really accomplish anything useful.

But note that they are Out of Stock, so you may not get them until next winter.
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Good deal.

Are these higher rated filters bad in the long run for your furnace? I was told they make the motor run harder and lead to prematute wear or failure?
Feb 2, 2017
52 posts
37 upvotes
Manitoba
Yes they do. Your furnace works harder pushing air through. You are better off buying a cheaper filter with a lower rating and change them more often. I have a rheem modulating furnace and I used to buy the higher rating once , my buddy who runs a heating and cooling business told me to get rid of the filters. I started using lower rated once and I found my fan working less hard and there was no difference in air quality
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1501 posts
651 upvotes
Montreal,QC
I was using a 1200 filtrete for 3 months then My furnace started to act weird, my ecobee thermostat kept rebooting and my furnace kept restarting.

I changed back to a reg merv 8 and voila, it solved the problem since, i always buy the duststop brand for 10$/2 MERV 8 and change more frequently like 1-2 months

Edit: good deal for sure!
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
irodeo wrote: I was using a 1200 filtrete for 3 months then My furnace started to act weird, my ecobee thermostat kept rebooting and my furnace kept restarting.

I changed back to a reg merv 8 and voila, it solved the problem since, i always buy the duststop brand for 10$/2 MERV 8 and change more frequently like 1-2 months

You may want to get your furnace checked - there is no reason increased effort by your blower (more power) is causing a issue like this, unless its (the blower, or circuit board) on its way out. Better to have it looked at before a failure when you least expect it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
vrredflag wrote: Are these higher rated filters bad in the long run for your furnace? I was told they make the motor run harder and lead to prematute wear or failure?
These "premium" filters are based on the theory that filtration of finer particles makes the air quality in your house better. Unfortunately that theory is incorrect. See this CMHC-sponsored study: http://publications.gc.ca/site/archivee ... 24-22E.pdf

The purpose of your furnace filter is to protect your furnace fan from dust and debris sucked into the intake ducts without impeding airflow too much, not to clean the air in your house. Premium filters like the Filtrete try to make up for their increased airflow resistance by having more pleats, which gives them a larger surface area. But they do decrease the airflow and increase the load on your furnace fan slightly. Personally I don't think it's enough to matter, but I haven't seen any actual tests. Furnace manufacturers recommend against it.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
irodeo wrote: I was using a 1200 filtrete for 3 months then My furnace started to act weird, my ecobee thermostat kept rebooting and my furnace kept restarting.

It's possible, but it seems unlikely. When the fan starts there is a significant AC power drain as it uses the higher-power starter coils to get the motor moving. It may be enough to cause the lights to dim on that circuit as the voltage drops momentarily. That could cause the 24vac output of the furnace transformer to drop for a second too, reducing power to the Ecobee thermostat.

But like all electronic devices the Ecobee undoubtedly has a big power filter capacitor that's meant to smooth out such brief bumps in voltage. Maybe yours is defective?

Also, the furnace filter is very unlikely to have any effect on this. Even if it does have increased resistance, the voltage dip of the motor starting is only for a second as the fan motor starts to move. It isn't even pushing much airflow yet, so the resistance of the furnace filter has little effect.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario

Went thru this exact problem this winter ... Ecobee rebooting pointed to these higher rated filters choking off airflow to the furnace, which results in higher temperatures in the heat exchanger tripping off the Upper Limit Switch, which acts as a safety and cuts the 24V control power until the temperatures drop down and the lower setting on the switch is triggered. Doing this over an extended period of time will shorten your furnace heat exchanger life.

I was told that more peats doesn't cut it in the same depth of filter (1") as in order to use these properly, it really needs to be something like the thicker 3" filters as there is some sort of multiplier of 4 that affects airflow ...

Went back to MERV 8 and problem solved ... furnace manufacturers aren't lying, as they can't control the filter depth size fitted to them during install by the ductwork contractor.

I wouldn't use these even if they were free from my first-hand experience this winter.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Exp315 wrote: It's possible, but it seems unlikely. When the fan starts there is a significant AC power drain as it uses the higher-power starter coils to get the motor moving. It may be enough to cause the lights to dim on that circuit as the voltage drops momentarily. That could cause the 24vac output of the furnace transformer to drop for a second too, reducing power to the Ecobee thermostat.

But like all electronic devices the Ecobee undoubtedly has a big power filter capacitor that's meant to smooth out such brief bumps in voltage. Maybe yours is defective?

Also, the furnace filter is very unlikely to have any effect on this. Even if it does have increased resistance, the voltage dip of the motor starting is only for a second as the fan motor starts to move. It isn't even pushing much airflow yet, so the resistance of the furnace filter has little effect.
Nope, we first thought it was the 24v transformer dipping as you suggested, but no it stayed at 24.5v the whole time we cycled the furnace trying to get the Ecobee to reboot. Ecobee's draw isn't a significant load.

However, we could watch the difference on the Upper Limit Switch when cycling the furnace between 2 different NEW filters, and their effect on the furnace was profound ... you could actually hear the blower motor running under a higher load with these "allergen" filter installed.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1393 posts
1496 upvotes
Exp315 wrote: These "premium" filters are based on the theory that filtration of finer particles makes the air quality in your house better. Unfortunately that theory is incorrect. See this CMHC-sponsored study: http://publications.gc.ca/site/archivee ... 24-22E.pdf

The purpose of your furnace filter is to protect your furnace fan from dust and debris sucked into the intake ducts without impeding airflow too much, not to clean the air in your house. Premium filters like the Filtrete try to make up for their increased airflow resistance by having more pleats, which gives them a larger surface area. But they do decrease the airflow and increase the load on your furnace fan slightly. Personally I don't think it's enough to matter, but I haven't seen any actual tests. Furnace manufacturers recommend against it.
This is good info that I did not know!

I use 20x25x5 and have Merv 12 for winter and 8 for everything else but looks like I will stick with 8 once I run out of 12's!

I ordered a 4pack on Amazon because they are $40+ a pop in town :/