Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Final Fantasy XII or X/X-2 for Switch ($27.50 - $39.99)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2019 9:04 am
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1995 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
SkimGuy wrote: Anyone who's played both - Which one is the better game? Or are they good in their own ways?
FFX is your traditional Final Fantasy. You are in the main story. FFX-2 is just a spinoff.
FFXII is more tactic, it's pretty much like Xenosaga Chronicles. You are outside of the main story.

Both are good but imo FFX is better story-wise.
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL
FFX by far the better FF imo. The music soundtrack alone is worth it, let alone the great story and romance. A bit linear but the story keeps you going.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
Tonberry wrote: Wow good thing I kept my receipt for FF12 - Will return it
FF12 was one of my favourite Final Fantasy's right next to FF6 and 7. It's just quite different than any other past ones. Think of it like a one player MMO. FF12's music is still decent but not done by Nobuo Uematsu

FF12 on current systems has a speed up option which significantly lowers the time spent walking around. It's much more tactical based and can somewhat play itself if you have gambits setup properly. The story is meh, but all the side things and extras you can do can easily eat up 100+ hours. I feel like the end of the game is about halfway through the content and game (let's just beat the game quick so we can do the fun stuff). People tend to either love or hate the game, I am one that loved it. FF10 is much harder to get into if you have not played it when it first came out, the system can feel archaic and slow, but it's definitely your last true traditional FF.

FF10 and FF12 are completely different games, but both great in their own respect.
Dec 19, 2006
517 posts
465 upvotes
cocopro wrote: good romance.
Ahaha. FFX is a lot of things, but a well-penned romance it is not. It's surface level anime. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but let's not pretend it's anything but.
Sep 25, 2012
163 posts
107 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Thello wrote: Ahaha. FFX is a lot of things, but a well-penned romance it is not. It's surface level anime. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but let's not pretend it's anything but.
"good amount of romance" fixed
Nov 24, 2014
500 posts
476 upvotes
Quebec, QC
Firebot wrote: FF12 was one of my favourite Final Fantasy's right next to FF6 and 7. It's just quite different than any other past ones. Think of it like a one player MMO. FF12's music is still decent but not done by Nobuo Uematsu

FF12 on current systems has a speed up option which significantly lowers the time spent walking around. It's much more tactical based and can somewhat play itself if you have gambits setup properly. The story is meh, but all the side things and extras you can do can easily eat up 100+ hours. I feel like the end of the game is about halfway through the content and game (let's just beat the game quick so we can do the fun stuff). People tend to either love or hate the game, I am one that loved it. FF10 is much harder to get into if you have not played it when it first came out, the system can feel archaic and slow, but it's definitely your last true traditional FF.

FF10 and FF12 are completely different games, but both great in their own respect.
I agree with you. I really liked FFXII for the large world, hunts and functional gambit system. The story is relatively weak, but it was really different from the other FF I played. It has a more "political tone" than the usual "We need to kill that villain and that's it" from other RPGs. The characters however are forgettable at best, with the MC being downright awful.

FFX as you pointed out is the last traditional "FF" with turn-based battles. The game is a lot more linear than FFXII and despite having a stronger cast of characters than FFXII, I prefered FFXII because of the combat system. FFX felt too easy IMO and the end game weapons easily break the game with things like "Auto-Phoenix". Also, if achievements were a thing back then, getting Lulu's Sigil would have probably been worth 2 Platinum Trophies haha
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1197 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
Final Fantasy X is the best of these games. FF XII is an acquired taste. FF X-2 battle system is more complex and plays differently from FFX, but the story is lacking IMO.
Oct 14, 2018
104 posts
188 upvotes
Titus' was not much better, trying to beat that chocobo race with 0.00 seconds - I almost had an aneurism doing this lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
jiayejoe wrote: I agree with you. I really liked FFXII for the large world, hunts and functional gambit system. The story is relatively weak, but it was really different from the other FF I played. It has a more "political tone" than the usual "We need to kill that villain and that's it" from other RPGs. The characters however are forgettable at best, with the MC being downright awful.
There are constant signs in FF12 that the main character should have always been Basch throughout, and the game is built around him. Due to marketing requiring the protagonist to be a young tweener to cater to the teen population, Vaan was created (and Penelo). Basch is like 40 in the game and not considered as marketable like Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Zidane, Noctis etc. The whole game would be the exact same if you removed both characters really, they were just thrown in and it shows pretty obviously as soon as Basch joins the party and Vaan is just along for the ride.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1995 posts
1588 upvotes
Quebec City
Firebot wrote: There are constant signs in FF12 that the main character should have always been Basch throughout, and the game is built around him. Due to marketing requiring the protagonist to be a young tweener to cater to the teen population, Vaan was created (and Penelo). Basch is like 40 in the game and not considered as marketable like Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Zidane, Noctis etc. The whole game would be the exact same if you removed both characters really, they were just thrown in and it shows pretty obviously as soon as Basch joins the party and Vaan is just along for the ride.
Basch could easily be the main character but FF is all about young teenagers. In my book, Balthier should have been the main character. Auron in FFX is 35 years old to give you an idea (still my preferred FF character).
Dec 19, 2006
517 posts
465 upvotes
cocopro wrote: "good amount of romance" fixed
I'm not sure I know what a "good amount of romance" entails for any particular person, but fair enough :P.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
4026 posts
1858 upvotes
Thello wrote: Ahaha. FFX is a lot of things, but a well-penned romance it is not. It's surface level anime. Nothing wrong with that in particular, but let's not pretend it's anything but.
FF8 was the romance FF... the number of people and non gamers i knew who were into it was astounding back in the day. (Though many had never actually played the game).

FFX is a lot of people's fav. Its a great turn based battle system, a great story and some fantastic C+ voice acting ..."HA Ha HA HA HA..."
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL
FFX was released in 2001, almost 20 years ago. There weren't many video games back then that had a "well-penned romance". Even to this day, romance has never really been a big theme in most video games, let alone a well developed one.

I don't see anything wrong saying FFX has good romance. He did mention good, not great (FF9), or excellent (FF8).

I don't recall many great romance genre animes back in 2001, but I do recall many surface level animes that don't even come close to FFX.

Perhaps we all have different tastes, but I most certainly believe FFX has good romance among other things.
Apr 28, 2012
270 posts
362 upvotes
MONTREAL
halcyon wrote: FF8 was the romance FF... the number of people and non gamers i knew who were into it was astounding back in the day. (Though many had never actually played the game).

FFX is a lot of people's fav. Its a great turn based battle system, a great story and some fantastic C+ voice acting ..."HA Ha HA HA HA..."
I second your opinion all the way til the en.... no.

I am a bit fed up people take the laughing scene out of context and think it's actually bad voice acting. The bad laughing scene was done on purpose, and if you google the Japanese laughing scene, it's even more hilarious. It was meant to be silly, even the characters laugh at themselves right after.

Back in 2001, voice acting was never really a thing in games, and it was the first FF to feature voice acting so obviously it's not going to be A+.

Hear it from the voice actor himself :

You could argue Yuna voice actress was bad (way... too... m..any.. pauses... like.. I..m losing.. my.. breathe.. all the.. time...), Tidus' was decent enough, but Wakka's and Auron's voice acting were SPOT ON.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
The Nintendo Switch asian version of Final Fantasy X / Final Fantasy X- has both games
both soundtracks, and both language voiceover options (English and Japanese) on one cartridge.
It also has an English-only box cover art.

It is worth buying that version off of ebay or importing it instead if those things matter to you.
The North American and European versions have English-only voice acting and only FFX on the cartridge while FFX-2 is a downloadable voucher.

I always prefer the English-language audio track but it is nice that there is one version that has both games on the same cartridge and in both languages too.
I bought one off Play-Asia but it took 6 weeks to deliver. eBay should be significantly faster.
Last edited by XFactor11 on May 24th, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Wakka's voice actor is Bender from Futurama. He is supposed to sound like a pacific islander which was spot on.

Tidus' voice actor is kind of bad because he sounds exactly like Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank. He's the same voice actor but he did not vary his voice
to distinguish the two very different roles at all.

valcyclovir wrote: I second your opinion all the way til the en.... no.

I am a bit fed up people take the laughing scene out of context and think it's actually bad voice acting. The bad laughing scene was done on purpose, and if you google the Japanese laughing scene, it's even more hilarious. It was meant to be silly, even the characters laugh at themselves right after.

Back in 2001, voice acting was never really a thing in games, and it was the first FF to feature voice acting so obviously it's not going to be A+.

Hear it from the voice actor himself :

You could argue Yuna voice actress was bad (way... too... m..any.. pauses... like.. I..m losing.. my.. breathe.. all the.. time...), Tidus' was decent enough, but Wakka's and Auron's voice acting were SPOT ON.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5348 posts
4356 upvotes
Firebot wrote: There are constant signs in FF12 that the main character should have always been Basch throughout, and the game is built around him. Due to marketing requiring the protagonist to be a young tweener to cater to the teen population, Vaan was created (and Penelo). Basch is like 40 in the game and not considered as marketable like Cloud, Squall, Tidus, Zidane, Noctis etc. The whole game would be the exact same if you removed both characters really, they were just thrown in and it shows pretty obviously as soon as Basch joins the party and Vaan is just along for the ride.
No, Fran should've been the main.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)