Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 5:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

Up until a few days ago this was $199.99 CAD.

Down to $159.99 CAD.

Deal link: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08F5Z44BV/

Equivalent regular and plus models are sold out on Amazon USA.

Check out this thread for more information.
amazon-fire-hd-10-2021-3gb-vs-samsung-t ... b-2479111/

God bless, gents.

Staples @ $149.99 CAD
jeeva86 wrote: Same price at staples but you can use the $10 coupon 84111 or the coupon you get when you sign up for their newsletter.
redflagdealsguy wrote: Correct.

https://www.staples.ca/products/3011378 ... 2-gb-black

Net price is $149.99.

Even better, no brainer pricing in my opinion, in this COVID price environment.
Fire Toolbox: Must Have for Most RFDers

Version 20.0 - Installer (.exe) - Portable (.zip)

XDA Thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/wind ... 0.3889604/

Life couldn't be easier with this Toolbox. This Fire HD has the greatest Android tablet community support by far.
Amazon Sister Tablets
redflagdealsguy wrote: Fire HD Kids Tablets @ $149.99 [$139.99 from Staples coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-HD-8-Kids-Ed ... 07WGKZH9W/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2981982 ... 32-gb-blue

Paperwhite @ $114.99 [$104.99 from Staples after coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/All-new-Kindle-Pa ... 07HKYZMQX/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2973128 ... paperwhite

Fire HD 8 @ 89.99 [$79.99 from Staples after coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-HD-8-Tablet/dp/B07WFKKN55/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2981978 ... 2-gb-black

The Fire HD 8 might be another rockstar deal at this price.

FIre HD 10 (2021): Video Review
apple777 wrote:
Surprisingly snappy. Nice screen, upgraded over last generation screen.

Certified Widevine Level 1, supporting Full HD across streaming services (up to 1080p60). Dual speakers with Dolby Atmos.

Decent gaming tablet, which I would've doubted.

Previewed Games
Minecraft - Smooth up to 12 blocks.
PUBG - 30+ FPS at Low
Genshin Impact - Intermittent Choppiness
Dreamcast Emulator - 60 FPS Locked
N64 Emulator - Pretty Smooth
PSP Emulator - Pretty Smooth
GameCube Emulator - Somewhat Choppy

Productivity Keyboard Case Accessory
redflagdealsguy wrote: This looks like the OEM case, which Fintie licensed to Amazon.

(Aspect Ratio is off due to resizing, actual tablet is wider.)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08SB72Q8F

That is to say, this is the same case as the Amazon Productivity bundle case.

Two Step Purchase
1) Buy the Amazon Fire HD 10 from Staples.ca for $149.99 CAD after coupon.
2) Buy the Amazon OEM Keyboard Case for $62.99 CAD.

Separate Total Purchase Cost: $212.98 CAD + HST

Versus

Productivity Bundle Cost: $279.98 CAD + HST

Savings: $67.00 CAD + HST

And yes, the separate keyboard is Prime fulfilled with their bulletproof return policy.
Other Accessories
redflagdealsguy wrote: Best Portable Pocketable Mouse for Tablet:

Logitech M355 (BT & 2.4Ghz) - $29.99 CAD (On Sale from $39.99 CAD)
https://www.amazon.ca/Logitech-Portable ... 084SX7HKB/

Source Ranking: https://www.androidcentral.com/best-mou ... id-tablets
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can the Fire HD 10 cast Netflix to a Chromecast-connected TV?

Yes, with a few steps.

Sideload Google Play store, one way is by installing Google Services through the Fire Toolbox above, follow the video instructions. Another way is by downloading the Google Play store directly from APKMirror (Google the website).

Download the Google Play version of Netflix and install, now you can cast.

Can this do everything a regular tablet can do?

Yes, essentially. You must use the Fire Toolbox linked above and follow the video, but the result is essentially an open and freely-usable tablet. It's not rooted, but for most functions, that's not required.

Can this serve as a laptop replacement?

Yes, it can. Buy the Fire HD 10 from Staples for $149.99 and the Amazon Fintie OEM Keyboard case for $62.99, and you have a basic laptop replacement for $212.98 CAD. You can't find that level of functionality and flexibility on a Chromebook near that price point.

Add a bluetooth or dongled USB mouse and you have the full laptop replacement experience.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 25th, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 19 times in total.
229 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14252 posts
4883 upvotes
RFD
Does this have Google Play Store?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1474 posts
865 upvotes
Canada
radeonboy wrote: Does this have Google Play Store?
You can search and download the apks for it easily.
Nov 6, 2011
170 posts
48 upvotes
Montreal
Wasn't this like $80USD on Amazon.com on prime day? Why does Canada always get shafted on prices
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
If you are in the market for a tablet, you should consider buying an Amazon Fire tablet. Arguably, you get a better product for less money because Amazon subsidize their tablets and lock you into the Amazon environment hoping you will buy other services like Amazon music, Kindle books, Amazon Prime Videos, Audible audiobooks, Whole Foods Market, etc.

But you can easily break free of the Amazon environment and turn your tablet into something closer to a regular Android tablet, by using Fire Toolbox to “de-Amazon” it without having to root your tablet. You can remove the Amazon ads, install the Google Play store or others like the Aurora store, etc. You will then be able to install any other app even if it is not part of the Amazon environment like Chrome, Netflix, etc.

I bought last year's version and I like it. It's snappy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes
Temporel wrote: If you are in the market for a tablet, you should consider buying an Amazon Fire tablet. Arguably, you get a better product for less money because Amazon subsidize their tablets and lock you into the Amazon environment hoping you will buy other services like Amazon music, Kindle books, Amazon Prime Videos, Audible audiobooks, Whole Foods Market, etc.

But you can easily break free of the Amazon environment and turn your tablet into something closer to a regular Android tablet, by using Fire Toolbox to “de-Amazon” it without having to root your tablet. You can remove the Amazon ads, install the Google Play store or others like the Aurora store, etc. You will then be able to install any other app even if it is not part of the Amazon environment like Chrome, Netflix, etc.
This is why I bought one.

The Amazon environment looks like it's from 2014, I bought this to make it 'open' as you point out.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 23rd, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29924 posts
10640 upvotes
deewhy wrote: Wasn't this like $80USD on Amazon.com on prime day? Why does Canada always get shafted on prices
Because Scamazon.ca.

It's $80 USD right now at Best Lie stores in US! Right now! Only the US has suckered us--Canada opens its border to [fully vaccinated] Americans crossing at land borders on the 9th of August, after that announcement the Americans (who kept pressuring us to open the border) extended their border restrictions until at least the 21st! What a scam!

Not saying even the 9th would have gotten one across to get in on this particular deal but still, this is ridiculous!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Because Scamazon.ca.

It's $80 USD right now at Best Lie stores in US! Right now! Only the US has suckered us--Canada opens its border to [fully vaccinated] Americans crossing at land borders on the 9th of August, after that announcement the Americans (who kept pressuring us to open the border) extended their border restrictions until at least the 21st! What a scam!

Not saying even the 9th would have gotten one across to get in on this particular deal but still, this is ridiculous!
I hear you, but this is the best easily accessible deal right now.

You're starting to sound like me.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
1927 posts
1702 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Does this have Google Play Store?
You can try without any fear of bricking your Amazon tablets.
Just click Fire Toobox version 20.0
and/or read this rfd thread
Last edited by imoo2u on Jul 23rd, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My life ambition is ....
Live long enough to be as big nuisance to my posterity as they have been to me.
Dec 2, 2019
298 posts
681 upvotes
deewhy wrote: Wasn't this like $80USD on Amazon.com on prime day? Why does Canada always get shafted on prices
I got it from US (lock-screen ad supported version). It also had Disney Plus (3 months) offer with it. Also, I had to pay only 5% tax in US compared to usual 15% in most of Canada.
Sideloading Google Play store and removing ads is not hard on Amazon tablets (xda-developers forum has lot of info on that).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
Let's not derail this thread with politics.
Let's keep it on the Amazon tablet.
Is it a good deal?
What are the alternatives?
Do you already have one and like it?
Do you hate anything about it?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3483 posts
2163 upvotes
SW ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Because Scamazon.ca.

Yeah, they did it so Amazon could scam us on this tablet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Let's not derail this thread with politics.
Let's keep it on the Amazon tablet.
Is it a good deal?
What are the alternatives?
Do you already have one and like it?
Do you hate anything about it?
Yep, I purposely linked to a thread in the first post for the off topic odds and ends discussion.

This is the deal thread, as you put it.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1282 posts
1352 upvotes
Jeff Bezos needs more rocket fuel ... from albertan oil?

BTW, $80 USD = ~ $105 CDN
Last edited by frugal69 on Jul 23rd, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes
@ES_Revenge has got me thinking.

Even the best BB USA Deal at $80 USD approaches this Amazon.ca deal price after FX, reshipping, and duties and taxes.

I think this is the best overall deal right now, with Prime fulfillment and protection sealing the deal.

My two unbiased cents.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29924 posts
10640 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Yeah, they did it so Amazon could scam us on this tablet.
:lol:
redflagdealsguy wrote: @ES_Revenge has got me thinking.

Even the best BB USA Deal at $80 USD approaches this Amazon.ca deal price after FX, reshipping, and duties and taxes.

I think this is the best overall deal right now, with Prime fulfillment and protection sealing the deal.

My two unbiased cents.
It's an okay deal if you consider "all that" but not a deal if you consider walking into a US store and just buying one off the shelf. Which yeah I get you can't exactly do right now (unless you fly) but you get what I mean. I'm willing to wait until I can do that to buy one at the price it's supposed to be, not the money-making scheme Amazon.ca has got going. Yeah yeah I get they're a business and are supposed to make money LOL but you know what I mean!

If you gotta have one now, it's not bad.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21466 posts
25880 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: It's an okay deal if you consider "all that" but not a deal if you consider walking into a US store and just buying one off the shelf. Which yeah I get you can't exactly do right now (unless you fly) but you get what I mean. I'm willing to wait until I can do that to buy one at the price it's supposed to be, not the money-making scheme Amazon.ca has got going. Yeah yeah I get they're a business and are supposed to make money LOL but you know what I mean!

If you gotta have one now, it's not bad.
Canada may be an okay country, but it's not a great country for deals. The GTA, Montreal, and Vancouver are mild exceptions.

I have business vendors for all sorts of things in life. I can get deals on OLEDs, Computers, Premium tech, even iPads.

When it comes to Android devices, the good ones are already fairly low margin, and it's hard for me to find further cuts.

I agree with you, it's 'not bad' considering everything: COVID, Biden Inflation, FX, Duties, Reshipping fees, etc.

Once I convert this tablet to a regular Android device, based on the general consensus, it will be as good or better than any comparably priced tablet from other makers. In fact, it seems I'm looking at $200+ for a comparable tablet at this point.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 24th, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 13, 2010
242 posts
431 upvotes
All this talk about US pricing, when it's a computer with a locked bootloader. These tablets are a pretty bad deal if you place any value on your freedom or privacy.
Nov 6, 2011
170 posts
48 upvotes
Montreal
S1 wrote: All this talk about US pricing, when it's a computer with a locked bootloader. These tablets are a pretty bad deal if you place any value on your freedom or privacy.
At $80USD it'd be perfectly fine as just a netflix machine