Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 5:34 pm
Dec 29, 2012
346 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Received mine and even after removing the bloatware, the overall experience of this tablet is on the underwhelming side. Leans more towards a warm deal rather than hot imo. Will need to check out other similar priced tablets in hand before providing a more detailed review.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
hydewolf wrote: Received mine and even after removing the bloatware, the overall experience of this tablet is on the underwhelming side. Leans more towards a warm deal rather than hot imo. Will need to check out other similar priced tablets in hand before providing a more detailed review.
I'm assuming you went through the full setup wizard with the Fire Toolkit.

The Helio 60T is a broadly used CPU among tablets and Chromebooks. I found the experience quite snappy, but my expectations were reasonable. I really enjoyed using Brave, a snappy excellent browser, even using the Play store version. I skip all the other browsers for their various issues.

For me, the clincher isn't the tablet by itself, it's the tablet + warranty experience + community support + years of future longevity. Samsung tablets are ghost towns in the community after 2+ years. Samsung tablets are more expensive for the same approximate functionality as well. Chinese tablets may offer better on-paper specs per dollar, but they're just too inconsistent and prone to failure, and lack proper healthy warranty.

This was a no-brainer from a total value standpoint, and that's understanding that it's not going to be blazing fast, but snappy enough on a light install.

I calibrate my expectations accordingly.
Jun 21, 2016
457 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto/Barcelona
I'm unable to find Netflix and Disney+ in the Google Play Store... And when I try to share the app from my android phone, it says unable to install due to ads within those apps?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
SoundlessWalker wrote: I'm unable to find Netflix and Disney+ in the Google Play Store... And when I try to share the app from my android phone, it says unable to install due to ads within those apps?
Did you go through the Fire Toolbox wizard for de-Amazon'ing and de-bloating the tablet?

Among the options is to have those apps installed. You can also restore the Amazon app store and install them from there for native support.

Modified this post to provide more useful information.
Jun 21, 2016
457 posts
718 upvotes
Toronto/Barcelona
redflagdealsguy wrote: Did you go through the Fire Toolbox wizard for de-Amazon'ing and de-bloating the tablet?

Among the options is to have those apps installed. You can also restore the Amazon app store and install them from there for native support.

Modified this post to provide more useful information.
I got Fire Toolbox wizard and de-bloated Amazon-ware but when I try to sideload, I keep getting an error.

Edit: Wait, I just found em in the "Hybrid Apps" icon

Edit 2: I keep getting an annoying "App not owned" pop up, at least in Disney+, even though I can tap away and still use it...
Last edited by SoundlessWalker on Jul 29th, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
SoundlessWalker wrote: I got Fire Toolbox wizard and de-bloated Amazon-ware but when I try to sideload, I keep getting an error.
SoundlessWalker wrote: Edit: Wait, I just found em in the "Hybrid Apps" icon

Edit 2: I keep getting an annoying "App not owned" pop up, at least in Disney+, even though I can tap away and still use it...
Restore the Amazon App Store and download the two apps from there (i.e. the two apps you want: Netflix and Disney+). Make sure to select the restore apps radio button at the top right first.

I believe this is under the 'Manage Amazon Apps' button on the main screen of the Fire Toolbox Windows app.

Dec 29, 2012
346 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm assuming you went through the full setup wizard with the Fire Toolkit.

The Helio 60T is a broadly used CPU among tablets and Chromebooks. I found the experience quite snappy, but my expectations were reasonable. I really enjoyed using Brave, a snappy excellent browser, even using the Play store version. I skip all the other browsers for their various issues.

For me, the clincher isn't the tablet by itself, it's the tablet + warranty experience + community support + years of future longevity. Samsung tablets are ghost towns in the community after 2+ years. Samsung tablets are more expensive for the same approximate functionality as well. Chinese tablets may offer better on-paper specs per dollar, but they're just too inconsistent and prone to failure, and lack proper healthy warranty.

This was a no-brainer from a total value standpoint, and that's understanding that it's not going to be blazing fast, but snappy enough on a light install.

I calibrate my expectations accordingly.
Speedwise I didn't have any issues, and I also agree the highlight of this tablet is the price+warranty+community which is very unique. For reference the only tablet I ever owned is a 2014 Sony Xperia Z compact and would need to experience one of the current Lenovo, Samsung, chinese, etc brands tablets to make a honest comparison.

The reason I will probably be returning the fire HD10 - I ask my self: Does this tablet make me want to pick it up and actually use it? And the answer is no. I don't find the screen quality great nor bad, it doesn't feel good nor horrible in the hands (bulky/plastic), and feature wise there isn't anything that stands out about this tablet (besides what's stated above). Would I keep it around if it was ~$100cad? Probably. But as the price point is nearer to $200, I would rather spend a bit more for something that would I would actually want to use, assuming there is tablet in the $200-350 range with higher quality features. If that's not the case, then this truly is budget-bang-for-your-buck type of tablet, overall decent quality but not good quality tablet imo.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
hydewolf wrote: Speedwise I didn't have any issues, and I also agree the highlight of this tablet is the price+warranty+community which is very unique. For reference the only tablet I ever owned is a 2014 Sony Xperia Z compact and would need to experience one of the current Lenovo, Samsung, chinese, etc brands tablets to make a honest comparison.

The reason I will probably be returning the fire HD10 - I ask my self: Does this tablet make me want to pick it up and actually use it? And the answer is no. I don't find the screen quality great nor bad, it doesn't feel good nor horrible in the hands (bulky/plastic), and feature wise there isn't anything that stands out about this tablet (besides what's stated above). Would I keep it around if it was ~$100cad? Probably. But as the price point is nearer to $200, I would rather spend a bit more for something that would I would actually want to use, assuming there is tablet in the $200-350 range with higher quality features. If that's not the case, then this truly is budget-bang-for-your-buck type of tablet, overall decent quality but not good quality tablet imo.
I accept the difference of opinion.

I'm putting mine on an articulating arm mounted platform as another portable screen alongside my 55" OLED PC Monitor

OLED is 2x3 = 6 splitscreens.

HD10 is screen 7.

Setting up some key widgets and quick access apps. No room for more monitors on this desk.

Will update on usefulness. I like this concept alot.

The device detaches otherwise, floats with me to my employee offices where some key Brave tabs are brought up to go over cloud scheduling information.
Aug 14, 2017
80 posts
24 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I accept the difference of opinion.

I'm putting mine on an articulating arm mounted platform as another portable screen alongside my 55" OLED PC Monitor

HD10 is screen 7.

Setting up some key widgets and quick access apps. No room for more monitors on this desk.

The device detaches otherwise, floats with me to my employee offices where some key Brave tabs are brought up to go over cloud scheduling information.
Do you have more info on this setup like how tos, or pictures or something? Sounds very interesting. I have an old Nexus 7 and you just gave me an idea of maybe setting it up as a dashboard with widgets or something.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
Tikob25 wrote: Do you have more info on this setup like how tos, or pictures or something? Sounds very interesting. I have an old Nexus 7 and you just gave me an idea of maybe setting it up as a dashboard with widgets or something.
I will post as I have more information to share.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes

HD10 is screen 7.

I can confirm this gooseneck tablet stand works great.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07Y84SCR6/

The Gooseneck is very strong and won't flop when the weight of the tablet is added.

I loaded Brave Browser from the Play Store, the best browser out there in my opinion. I loaded all the important cloud-based browser schedules (proprietary work stuff). I find it very easy to go from the 55" OLED screen to the goose-necked tablet hovering 15 to 20 degrees to the right of the screen, closer to my head. Minor head swivel and eye turn, something I'm already used to on a 55" screen.

It's surprisingly functional, as I know I'll always have my static browser tabs on my tablet despite shuffling tabs and windows frequently on my oversized 55" OLED PC monitor.

When I need to share something with an employee, it's usually pertaining to the tablet information. I remove the tablet from the mount (easily) and take it with me to review key information in an employee office.

I am thinking about getting a long USB-A to USB-C cord and snake-wrap it around the gooseneck arm and down to the charger, for a more permanent power solution.

Imagine all of the above, all with a standing desk design. I use this to elevate my 55" OLED screen with the platform anchoring the tablet gooseneck arm. All that's missing is the standing treadmill.

Tremendous.
Nov 22, 2002
579 posts
74 upvotes
Does this device not do push notifications? I have installed messenger (even from the amazon app store), gmail and a couple others, and no matter what, notifications from these apps never show up. Whether screen is on or off!

I have to manually load up gmail and swipe down to force a refresh to see new mail.

Have checked battery optimizations and other stuff and cant figure it out. :-/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
mparsons wrote: Does this device not do push notifications? I have installed messenger (even from the amazon app store), gmail and a couple others, and no matter what, notifications from these apps never show up. Whether screen is on or off!

I have to manually load up gmail and swipe down to force a refresh to see new mail.

Have checked battery optimizations and other stuff and cant figure it out. :-/
Please check the Fire Toolbox thread in the first post, it's an open question worth answering, vis-a-vis notifications.

I don't have full answers on this other than to say it may be a mixed bag depending on Google Play Store app.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 2nd, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 22, 2002
579 posts
74 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Please check the Fire Toolbox thread in the first post, it's an open question worth answering, vis-a-vis notifications.

I don't have full answers on than to say it may be a mixed bag depending on Google Play Store app.
Yes, I already have toolbox installed.

I just cant figure it out, nothing is giving notifications, even apps installed via the amazon app store. I might just reset the device, try it with FireOS and see if that at least gives notifications.

I was just curious if others are seeing my experience.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
mparsons wrote: Yes, I already have toolbox installed.

I just cant figure it out, nothing is giving notifications, even apps installed via the amazon app store. I might just reset the device, try it with FireOS and see if that at least gives notifications.

I was just curious if others are seeing my experience.
They are, it's a known issue, thankfully not universal to all apps.
Dec 29, 2012
346 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto

HD10 is screen 7.

After browsing through every tablet on display at best buy I've decided I will likely keep the Fire 10 @$150. The differences between the Fire 10 and sub $500 tablets seem marginal at first use. It wasn't until I was looking at $500 tablets that I started noticing an immediate difference. It's possible other sub $300 tablets are better on the software side but I can't confirm until I buy. My only gripe is the thickness/plastic back on the Fire HD10, but ultimately the price can't be beat. This is a true RFDer tablet.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
First of all, let me begin by saying that I'm typing this on my Amazon Fire HD 10 with keyboard case and Bluetooth mouse.

Here's my report after one week of business use.

The Fire HD 10 has a few homes in it's day to day work use cases. Most of the time, it's docked to a gooseneck arm 15 degree off axis of the 55" OLED PC Monitor that I use for heavy productivity work. I'm going between the big screen and tablet as needed, as an alternative to flipping windows back and forth on the big screen. My dedicated cloud schedules hover off center view, closer to my eyes, easily seen and accessible.

When it's not in it's gooseneck dock, the Fire HD is on my arm, out and about with employees, as a resources to quickly check schedules mid-conversation. This proves a time saver and convenience for other staffers as well.

When it's neither on my arm, or on the gooseneck, it's back in it's keyboard case for low intensity laptop replacement use (such as emails and document review). I find it highly functional with the keyboard case and Bluetooth mouse. The 3GB RAM is efficiently allocated in a manner that appears seemless. You can get a fair bit of work done just through this three device combination.

The Fire HD 10 plus Keyboard case combo was $212.99 CAD + HST on sale.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3004 posts
2968 upvotes
I posted this in the other thread but it doesn't seem active:

Wondering why people are getting this tablet with the keyboard, when for $30 more you get way more from this lenovo tablet: lenovo-canada-ebay-store-lenovo-chromeb ... 4-2485073/

- more RAM (3GB vs 4GB)
- 4x the storage (32GB vs 128GB)
- higher resolution (1080p vs 1200p)
- stylus

the big difference is ChromeOS vs FireOS, but most people seem to recommend debloating FireOS to "almost" Android. ChromeOS doesn't need debloat and also runs Android apps, and Google has committed to providing updates for that tablet until 2028
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21731 posts
26267 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I posted this in the other thread but it doesn't seem active:

Wondering why people are getting this tablet with the keyboard, when for $30 more you get way more from this lenovo tablet: lenovo-canada-ebay-store-lenovo-chromeb ... 4-2485073/

- more RAM (3GB vs 4GB)
- 4x the storage (32GB vs 128GB)
- higher resolution (1080p vs 1200p)
- stylus

the big difference is ChromeOS vs FireOS, but most people seem to recommend debloating FireOS to "almost" Android. ChromeOS doesn't need debloat and also runs Android apps, and Google has committed to providing updates for that tablet until 2028
I wasn't impressed with this device.
redflagdealsguy wrote: The price is $197.98 CAD for the combo.

I found the Duet Chromebook more clunky to use than the Fire HD 10, and I didn't like the floppy keyboard design. I returned mine as it didn't sit well with me.

I also don't trust Lenovo, and believe they will abandon their hardware unlike Amazon with the Fire HD and large community support. The RAM and storage situation are nice, but it seems Android is a clean more efficient interface for app transitions. I found 3GB RAM to be comfortable, when it would've seemed suffocating on any other computing device.
Jan 24, 2015
379 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville
Scote64 wrote: You don't need the Toolbox to side-load apps from apks. The Toolbox is just a convenient way to side-load the 4 Google components you need to get the Google Play Store. Then you can install apps from the Amazon App Store, the Google Play Store, or apk files.

The Toolbox can't actually remove the Amazon bloatware to recover memory unless you root the tablet first - it can only disable and hide the apps without rooting. Various ever-evolving methods of rooting are offered - you just have to check the XDA threads to see if one works currently for your Fire tablet model and firmware version. Keep in mind that some apps won't run on rooted devices, so it's a trade-off.
Can I install any APP if I have the APK file? As you know some APPs are not in Google Play Store.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)