Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 5:34 pm
Jan 24, 2015
349 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville
redflagdealsguy wrote: Thank you for the feedback, this is almost 100% consistent with my understanding of current state.

Thank you. I had a Amazon Fire HD 7" from perhaps 2015 - 2017. It was a great little burner device for light media back when I was a little candle burner on both ends, and needed an unwind. [I'm still candle burning, but it's different today.] I picked up the 7" unit in used condition, from a recycler, so it might have been a 2013 - 2014 unit.

When people tell me that this Fire HD 10 (2021) is unacceptably slow and bottlenecked by RAM, it's immediately apparent we're dealing with someone on a different level of tablet use. That's the charitable interpretation.

I have my Ryzen 7 64GB RAM laptop, I don't need a max-CPU high-RAM tablet for 4K gaming and 8K video editing (hyperbole to make a point). Most people don't, because tablets are fundamentally limited devices for power-user use-cases. The FUD'ing around this device invariably confuses average users who would do well with the OP tablet.

My usual answer for readers:
If you don't know what you need from a tablet, other than media, browsing, documents, and emails, the OP tablet should work well for you.

If you have specific intensive technical needs from a tablet, either consider a more expensive tablet, or upgrade to a proper laptop or desktop. If you're in the Apple space and have money to burn, the iPad Pro is an option, for $1,000 CAD minimum.

God bless.
Thank you for letting me know I have other options besides iPads.
Last year RBC has a free iPad offer if you open the Signature account and keep it for one year. The cost was about monthly fee of $15.95 *12=$192. What do you think if the difference is only about $30? Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21468 posts
25881 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: Thank you for letting me know I have other options besides iPads.
Last year RBC has a free iPad offer if you open the Signature account and keep it for one year. The cost was about monthly fee of $15.95 *12=$192. What do you think if the difference is only about $30? Thanks.
The iPad is significantly better than most Android tablets, even the expensive ones.

I'm not sure what the difference of $30 is with respect to, but a modern iPad is a very good tablet indeed. I would imagine RBC is offering a tablet made within the last two years, which should still work well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5317 posts
5488 upvotes
Vancouver
ChristineY wrote: Can I install any APP if I have the APK file? As you know some APPs are not in Google Play Store.
Yes, no problem to install apps from apk.
Jan 24, 2015
349 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville
redflagdealsguy wrote: The iPad is significantly better than most Android tablets, even the expensive ones.

I'm not sure what the difference of $30 is with respect to, but a modern iPad is a very good tablet indeed. I would imagine RBC is offering a tablet made within the last two years, which should still work well.
Last year RBC offered the latest 10.2” iPad Wi-Fi 32GB (8th Generation) of that time. To get a free iPad, the cost is $15.95 (monthly fee) *12 months =$192. $192- $145*1.13 (Fire HD 10'')= $28.15. Am I correct?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21468 posts
25881 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: Last year RBC offered the latest 10.2” iPad Wi-Fi 32GB (8th Generation) of that time. To get a free iPad, the cost is $15.95 (monthly fee) *12 months =$192. $192- $145*1.13 (Fire HD 10'')= $28.15. Am I correct?
Get the iPad. That's a great value.

I say that as a fan of the Fire HD 10.
Jan 24, 2015
349 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville
redflagdealsguy wrote: Get the iPad. That's a great value.

I say that as a fan of the Fire HD 10.
How do you compare HD 10 with HD 8? Is the size of HD 10 a bit bigger when used in bed or couch? And HD 8 is much cheaper. But HD 8 is only 2G RAM.
Jan 24, 2015
349 posts
38 upvotes
Oakville
redflagdealsguy wrote: I'm assuming you went through the full setup wizard with the Fire Toolkit.

The Helio 60T is a broadly used CPU among tablets and Chromebooks. I found the experience quite snappy, but my expectations were reasonable. I really enjoyed using Brave, a snappy excellent browser, even using the Play store version. I skip all the other browsers for their various issues.

For me, the clincher isn't the tablet by itself, it's the tablet + warranty experience + community support + years of future longevity. Samsung tablets are ghost towns in the community after 2+ years. Samsung tablets are more expensive for the same approximate functionality as well. Chinese tablets may offer better on-paper specs per dollar, but they're just too inconsistent and prone to failure, and lack proper healthy warranty.

This was a no-brainer from a total value standpoint, and that's understanding that it's not going to be blazing fast, but snappy enough on a light install.

I calibrate my expectations accordingly.
I had two Samsung tablets, but all died in a few years. On the other hand, my first iPad bought in 2012 is still working although it is very slow and can't support some APPs now. How about Fire HD in terms of years of future longevity?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21468 posts
25881 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: I had two Samsung tablets, but all died in a few years. On the other hand, my first iPad bought in 2012 is still working although it is very slow and can't support some APPs now. How about Fire HD in terms of years of future longevity?
The iPad wins on longevity, hands down.

The community support will keep the Fire HD 10 relevant for years, though.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21468 posts
25881 upvotes
ChristineY wrote: How do you compare HD 10 with HD 8? Is the size of HD 10 a bit bigger when used in bed or couch? And HD 8 is much cheaper. But HD 8 is only 2G RAM.
Fire HD 10 vs 8
- Better CPU
- More RAM
- Better Higher Resolution Screen
- Larger screen
- Possibly better cameras
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7231 posts
12206 upvotes
Montreal
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: If anyone wants a Fire HD 10, still sealed in box, at Staples cost ($134 + tax) please pm me, otherwise I will return to staples
It would help if you gave some kind of indication about the general vicinity you live in.

I'm in Halifax, no, Winnipeg. Wait! Come to think of it, I'm in Surrey BC. :)