Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 5:34 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14377 posts
4971 upvotes
RFD
S1 wrote: All this talk about US pricing, when it's a computer with a locked bootloader. These tablets are a pretty bad deal if you place any value on your freedom or privacy.
You can remove the word "tablets" and insert any device (smartphone/computer for example) or social media service and the same applies.
Oct 31, 2009
119 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Why Amazon makes it so hard to install google play store:(
:)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21688 posts
26227 upvotes
frugal69 wrote: Jeff Bezos needs more rocket fuel ... from albertan oil?

BTW, $80 USD = ~ $105 CDN
Finish your math.

$80 USD to CAD = $100.52 CAD
$100.52 CAD + $25.13 CAD ($20 USD) Reshipping = $125.65 CAD
$125.65 CAD + FX Fees = $130.05 CAD
$130.05 CAD + State Tax (Up to 8%) = $140.45 CAD

$140.45 CAD + HST

Price Difference = $19.54 CAD + HST

Going cross-border makes it difficult to access warranty, difficult to return, etc. Amazon Prime is the exact opposite of that, Amazon is very forgiving.

================

Folks, I'll says it again.

There are repeated stock outs in the regular and plus model Amazon Fire HD 10 (2021) tablets on Amazon USA.

The market is telling us something, these tablets are the best we can get at this price point in a world of COVID excuses and Biden inflation.

The toolkits are making these best-value-for-money tablet investments. I've done a little research, and unless I want to spend $100 more for a proper upgrade, this is the best and brightest option. I'm setting aside the Chinese tablets due to consistency issues.

Also remember, they're more rugged than most other tablets, perform pretty well with their 3GB RAM allotment, and the kid version is built like a tank.
nyliquidpk wrote: Why Amazon makes it so hard to install google play store:(
It's easy, bud. Multiple ways.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30067 posts
10814 upvotes
S1 wrote: All this talk about US pricing, when it's a computer with a locked bootloader. These tablets are a pretty bad deal if you place any value on your freedom or privacy.
LOL freedom :rolleyes: Yep, for sure Amazon tablet is gonna lock you up in your basement and you'll be stuck there for 25 to life. Do not buy folks, wrongful/forcible imprisonment will be the result! :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9902 posts
2375 upvotes
Edmonton
I hated my 2019 version, not sure what's changed. Super slow, and even slower when side loading android. Fortunately I only paid $110 for it and sold it for about the same
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1729 posts
3071 upvotes
Vancouver
redflagdealsguy wrote: Canada may be an okay country, but it's not a great country for deals. The GTA, Montreal, and Vancouver are mild exceptions.
This is spot on.

Canada is great until you need to buy something. Then you see just how much cheaper and more options there are available in the U.S vs here.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1729 posts
3071 upvotes
Vancouver
You're kidding yourself BIG time if you think ANY device you currently own has any freedom or privacy.

The NSA budget ALONE is $11B, look at ANY historical cases of hacking into consumer device from this ONE agency. You will instantly realize how naive you'd have to be to think ANYTHING you own has "privacy".

Especially not something as ubiquitous as a cell phone
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30067 posts
10814 upvotes
Netuser wrote: so it is exactly same cpu and other stuff except 5mp camera vs 2mp and Bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2 . so not really an upgrade
The 2021 is 3GB RAM, which is probably the biggest upgrade (the 2019 is 2GB). The Plus is 4GB but we don't got it here yet anyway.
Apr 10, 2013
978 posts
195 upvotes
Mississauga
ES_Revenge wrote: The 2021 is 3GB RAM, which is probably the biggest upgrade (the 2019 is 2GB). The Plus is 4GB but we don't got it here yet anyway.
oh I missed that, thanks :) even the crappiest of the phone have now at least 4 GB ram , i don't understand why tablet have so much lower Ram.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7629 posts
12859 upvotes
Montreal
Netuser wrote: oh I missed that, thanks :) even the crappiest of the phone have now at least 4 GB ram , i don't understand why tablet have so much lower Ram.
Because you don't need it. You don't edit videos on a tablet, you watch Netflix with it.
Nov 26, 2002
583 posts
30 upvotes
Western Canada
I'm using a Lenovo P10 with a dock bought on a great rfd from ebay march last year. If I switch to this and sideload playstore, will I feel snapier surfing the net and watching YouTube? Any other downside?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3153 posts
4795 upvotes
GTA North
Temporel wrote: If you are in the market for a tablet, you should consider buying an Amazon Fire tablet. Arguably, you get a better product for less money because Amazon subsidize their tablets and lock you into the Amazon environment hoping you will buy other services like Amazon music, Kindle books, Amazon Prime Videos, Audible audiobooks, Whole Foods Market, etc.

But you can easily break free of the Amazon environment and turn your tablet into something closer to a regular Android tablet, by using Fire Toolbox to “de-Amazon” it without having to root your tablet. You can remove the Amazon ads, install the Google Play store or others like the Aurora store, etc. You will then be able to install any other app even if it is not part of the Amazon environment like Chrome, Netflix, etc.

I bought last year's version and I like it. It's snappy.
Is it possible to completely format the tablet and put your own android/linux OS of choice? Or are there hardware lockouts that prevent it?
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
13352 posts
24867 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Is it possible to completely format the tablet and put your own android/linux OS of choice? Or are there hardware lockouts that prevent it?
No way ( for now ) . Only way is the Toolbox .
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7340 posts
1399 upvotes
Ottawa
Same price at staples but you can use the $10 coupon 84111 or the coupon you get when you sign up for their newsletter.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1634 posts
630 upvotes
Maybe I’m missing something, when I look at the Amazon page, it looks like the 64gb is $200 and that’s it’s regular price. Is the 32gb at $150 a new reg price, or were they both priced at $199 before this sale?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21688 posts
26227 upvotes
funnypanks wrote: Maybe I’m missing something, when I look at the Amazon page, it looks like the 64gb is $200 and that’s it’s regular price. Is the 32gb at $150 a new reg price, or were they both priced at $199 before this sale?
I believe they were $200 and $250 before.

I know for a fact the 32Gb was $200.

I've cancelled my Amazon order and I'm jumping on the Staples order at $149.99.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21688 posts
26227 upvotes
imoo2u wrote: You can try without any fear of bricking your Amazon tablets.
Just click Fire Toobox version 20.0
and/or read this rfd thread
Now supporting the 2021 version.

This couldn't be easier, gents.

Thank you, @imoo2u.

Honest no-brainer after my research, everything else comparable is too expensive. I wanted a comparable modern Samsung 10" with 3GB of RAM, I was quoted between $230 and $250 at the cheapest.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jul 24th, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.