Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 (2021) - $159.99 (Prime) [Optional KB], $149.99 @ Staples w/ coupon // Fire HD 8 @ $79.99 [+ Other Tablets]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2021 5:34 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5534 posts
5716 upvotes
Vancouver
jennifer230 wrote: If I use the Fire Toolbox, is it easy to sideload apps from outside sources - things like Blokada and YouTube Vanced? If so, I’ll probably take a chance on it.
Also, is the screen sufficiently bright for outdoor use?
You don't need the Toolbox to side-load apps from apks. The Toolbox is just a convenient way to side-load the 4 Google components you need to get the Google Play Store. Then you can install apps from the Amazon App Store, the Google Play Store, or apk files.

The Toolbox can't actually remove the Amazon bloatware to recover memory unless you root the tablet first - it can only disable and hide the apps without rooting. Various ever-evolving methods of rooting are offered - you just have to check the XDA threads to see if one works currently for your Fire tablet model and firmware version. Keep in mind that some apps won't run on rooted devices, so it's a trade-off.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21705 posts
26232 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: You don't need the Toolbox to side-load apps from apks. The Toolbox is just a convenient way to side-load the 4 Google components you need to get the Google Play Store. Then you can install apps from the Amazon App Store, the Google Play Store, or apk files.

The Toolbox can't actually remove the Amazon bloatware to recover memory unless you root the tablet first - it can only disable and hide the apps without rooting. Various ever-evolving methods of rooting are offered - you just have to check the XDA threads to see if one works currently for your Fire tablet model and firmware version. Keep in mind that some apps won't run on rooted devices, so it's a trade-off.
Thank you for the feedback, this is almost 100% consistent with my understanding of current state.
danascully wrote: You guys are all frackin buggin I tell you.

Im using a fire hd first gen I got for free and im absolutely loving it just for reading all sorts of books

I like the 7” size and the fact that it feels solid with a rubbery backing. Unlike the ipad which seems like it would explode if I put it down slightly too fast

*Any* of tablets mentioned in this thread is 10000x faster than what im using
Thank you. I had a Amazon Fire HD 7" from perhaps 2015 - 2017. It was a great little burner device for light media back when I was a little candle burner on both ends, and needed an unwind. [I'm still candle burning, but it's different today.] I picked up the 7" unit in used condition, from a recycler, so it might have been a 2013 - 2014 unit.

When people tell me that this Fire HD 10 (2021) is unacceptably slow and bottlenecked by RAM, it's immediately apparent we're dealing with someone on a different level of tablet use. That's the charitable interpretation.

I have my Ryzen 7 64GB RAM laptop, I don't need a max-CPU high-RAM tablet for 4K gaming and 8K video editing (hyperbole to make a point). Most people don't, because tablets are fundamentally limited devices for power-user use-cases. The FUD'ing around this device invariably confuses average users who would do well with the OP tablet.

My usual answer for readers:
If you don't know what you need from a tablet, other than media, browsing, documents, and emails, the OP tablet should work well for you.

If you have specific intensive technical needs from a tablet, either consider a more expensive tablet, or upgrade to a proper laptop or desktop. If you're in the Apple space and have money to burn, the iPad Pro is an option, for $1,000 CAD minimum.

God bless.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7659 posts
12877 upvotes
Montreal
Jokerpersona wrote: (...) The launcher works half the time, a lot of the time the app screen from Amazon still shows up, making the launcher useless.

The speed of the device is slow, as people who have used these devices have attested to. I literally only used mine for comics, and it struggled with that. Want to browse the web? Welcome to slowville. 4GB is the lowest you should be aiming for in a tablet, no matter the usage.

The Fire HD is the price it is for a reason, but if you listened to literally anyone that's owned one (many of us in this thread), you should not buy this thing and spend a bit more on a proper tablet.
You are doing something wrong. I own one from the previous generation (2 GB RAM). I never had any problem with any launcher (and I tried a few). After using the Toolbox, I never saw the Amazon app screen. I have no complaint about the speed.

Please supply a link to said "proper tablet".

Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 24th, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rude
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7659 posts
12877 upvotes
Montreal
shopperisbest wrote: so where is Amazon Fire 9?
In the same aisle as Windows 9. Face With Tears Of Joy
jennifer230 wrote: If I use the Fire Toolbox, is it easy to sideload apps from outside sources - things like Blokada and YouTube Vanced? If so, I’ll probably take a chance on it.
Also, is the screen sufficiently bright for outdoor use?
Yes, the Toolbox will install YouTube Vanced for you.
Banned
Jul 23, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote
I Ordered it However does not allow for any Canadian apps Fibe Tv, or any other streaming services purchased thru Google or the Amazon |App store to be downloaded and used
Nov 16, 2006
956 posts
497 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Unless I can use the full desktop Chrome browser with advanced ad blocking (ie. uBlock Origin) my money is staying in my pocket.
Last edited by reddyflag on Jul 24th, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 8, 2020
708 posts
964 upvotes
reddyflag wrote: Unless I can use the full desktop Chrome browser with advanced ad blocking (ie. uBlock Origin) my money is staying in my pocket.
Firefox android app has ublock origin as an addon. Available on this tablet.
Nov 16, 2006
956 posts
497 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Jokerpersona wrote: Firefox android app has ublock origin as an addon. Available on this tablet.
Thanks. Will investigate further.
Mar 10, 2012
289 posts
252 upvotes
THORNHILL
I have the last gen version of this tablet. It's fine for my needs, but I don't get notifications from most apps. I get notifications from Google Play for app updates, but not from Google Hangouts.

It's not a huge deal for me, but worth mentioning.

Other than that, no complaints considering the price.
Sep 10, 2010
378 posts
89 upvotes
St Catharines
Thx OP. Picked up a new Paperwhite at 18% off ($140 TO $115).Battery is starting to die after 4 yrs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21705 posts
26232 upvotes
apple777 wrote:

Decent device. The only reason I'm not getting this is because I'm looking for a better front camera.

A video link should probably be posted in the OP. Seems like the people complaining about this device haven't seen its performance.
I've already used this tablet, but it's nice to see someone else confirm the sensibility and sanity echoed by most individuals in this thread.

Those calling this tablet slow clearly don't represent the average user. You can make this device run slow, much like any device, but out of the box it's quite snappy. And yes, it's correctly labelled a budget tablet.

I've added your post to the video review section of the first post.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6587 posts
6600 upvotes
Downtown Canada
redflagdealsguy wrote: Thank you for the feedback, this is almost 100% consistent with my understanding of current state.

Thank you. I had a Amazon Fire HD 7" from perhaps 2015 - 2017. It was a great little burner device for light media back when I was a little candle burner on both ends, and needed an unwind. [I'm still candle burning, but it's different today.] I picked up the 7" unit in used condition, from a recycler, so it might have been a 2013 - 2014 unit.

When people tell me that this Fire HD 10 (2021) is unacceptably slow and bottlenecked by RAM, it's immediately apparent we're dealing with someone on a different level of tablet use. That's the charitable interpretation.

I have my Ryzen 7 64GB RAM laptop, I don't need a max-CPU high-RAM tablet for 4K gaming and 8K video editing (hyperbole to make a point). Most people don't, because tablets are fundamentally limited devices for power-user use-cases. The FUD'ing around this device invariably confuses average users who would do well with the OP tablet.

My usual answer for readers:
If you don't know what you need from a tablet, other than media, browsing, documents, and emails, the OP tablet should work well for you.

If you have specific intensive technical needs from a tablet, either consider a more expensive tablet, or upgrade to a proper laptop or desktop. If you're in the Apple space and have money to burn, the iPad Pro is an option, for $1,000 CAD minimum.

God bless.
Should I buy this?
Telus $30/25GB X 4 lines Non shareable
$0 200 USA LD min/month X 4 lines
$0 Visual Voicemail X 4 lines
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21705 posts
26232 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote: Should I buy this?
Depends.

Do you want an easy media tablet to throw around in your downtime?

Something simple, ubiquitous, and well supported by the manufacturer and community?

Phones are great, they're essential, but they're small, and a tablet vacation on the couch or in bed is just nice.

I'm getting one.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
7659 posts
12877 upvotes
Montreal
TransporterSD wrote: Should I buy this?
Like "redflagdealsguy" said, it fills the void in between your phone and a laptop. It's nicer to watch videos or browse on a tablet than on a phone screen. It's less bulky in bed than a laptop. But it doesn't replace the portability of a phone nor the power of a laptop. Once you have it, you will find uses that you didn't think of.

What I like the most is the de-Amazon part and the low price when compared to other tablets with similar specs.
Apr 20, 2013
39 posts
11 upvotes
PEI
Thanks OP. Was trying to hold out for Amazon Prime Days, but I needed a tablet so this sale works nicely for me.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1763 posts
2335 upvotes
Dunno if it's been said but the kids ones are one sale too
May 22, 2009
466 posts
600 upvotes
Canada
diana117 wrote: Thanks OP. Was trying to hold out for Amazon Prime Days, but I needed a tablet so this sale works nicely for me.
Amazon prime day is cancelled this year in Canada.
Reminder: Epic gives away free games every week. Humble Choice is horrible, I miss the old weekly humble bundles :(
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21705 posts
26232 upvotes
The following tablets are also on sale, thank you @User381785.

Fire HD Kids Tablets @ $149.99 [$139.99 from Staples coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-HD-8-Kids-Ed ... 07WGKZH9W/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2981982 ... 32-gb-blue

Paperwhite @ $114.99 [$104.99 from Staples after coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/All-new-Kindle-Pa ... 07HKYZMQX/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2973128 ... paperwhite

Fire HD 8 @ 89.99 [$79.99 from Staples after coupon 84111]
https://www.amazon.ca/Fire-HD-8-Tablet/dp/B07WFKKN55/
https://www.staples.ca/products/2981978 ... 2-gb-black

The Fire HD 8 might be another rockstar deal at this price.

Thanks folks.

P.S. Nice win, @diana117.

P.P.S. I'm still all-in on the Fire HD 10 for adults, but the kids tablets are good right up until the tweens, and the Fire HD 8 might be for the tweens and teens in the household.