Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire HD 10 tablet back on sale - 32gb $149.99 | 64gb $189.99 - Possibly $149.99 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2021 12:37 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2020
1179 posts
1883 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Well Jeff made billions and power to him, not upset at his success. However Amazon makes the same product for less, so why buy it for more? Because the cheeseheads at Amazon.ca decided they are going to put a 50% markup on it for us? Not 15%, not 20%, not even 30% but FIFTY percent more money?

I don't care if it's Amazon or Bamazon that's selling it, I'm still always going to point out blatant gouging when I see it.

Sure but price is a big thing on RFD in general, so why do people always try to silence people pointing out when there is gouging going on? Just because they get in this mob/heard mentality and anyone that threatens to say we shouldn't all just BUY BUY BUY! blindly, should be ousted? Yeah that sounds real good. :confused:

But it's the way things go here so yeah. On a different thread where no one is buying and people all point out something is not a deal, and downvotes rain, the exact same comments about bad price, gouging, etc. are perfectly fair game. But when it's the mob of people that can't help themselves from paying too much....watch out! They will try to get you banned for saying anything even remotely "against" the mob :rolleyes:

But doesn't the toolbox or whatever disable the ads anyhow? Anyway I'm still on the fence on whether to keep the 64GB one I have or throw it back to Amazon. I recently bought a convertible laptop and Windows 11 will run most Android apps too so is there really a point to a tablet? What sucks is the return period ends on Oct. 30th, way before border opening and BF...
I'm trying to understand your point here.

Tablet is 80 usd, and 150 cad here and you're mad about it and want to let us know they're gouging us?

So we should all make a 4 hour roundtrip to buy this tablet from the US or complain to Amazon or not buy the product? Because "Scamazon".

I just want to make sure I'm understanding. Wait till you discover the automotive market, Best Buy, Walmart, groceries, clothing, and every other market out there. Surely none of those are doing the same thing to Canadians.

I'll help with a list of cringe words to add to your vocabulary, both to show your age and ignorance.

Scam Buy - Best Buy
Scam mart - Walmart
Scamord - Ford
Scamrolet - Chevrolet
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
Jokerpersona wrote: I'm trying to understand your point here.

Tablet is 80 usd, and 150 cad here and you're mad about it and want to let us know they're gouging us?

So we should all make a 4 hour roundtrip to buy this tablet from the US or complain to Amazon or not buy the product? Because "Scamazon".
Look at it this way - Amazon selling this Tablet for $150 vs $100CDN in US is pure greed - exactly like the video card scalpers making 100% markup.
If you support this price of 50% markup, you are bending to the scalpers/Scamazon.

A scalper could have bought 10,000 units from the US @ $100 and resold them here for $115-$120 and still be profiting. A palette of Tablets only cost $300-$500 to ship. So $150 is scalper priced.

What makes this deal even worse is that there is no shortage of tablets.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1246 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
I really don't understand some people. It's really simple. Do your research. This is Red Flag Deals. A deal, to me, is going to be something that's cheaper than I can get it elsewhere or cheaper than it's regular price, in comparison to how quickly I need a product, or how badly I want it.

Is something marked up 50% 100% 500%? Yup. Is it cheaper in the US or somewhere else in the world? Yup. But if it's something I need/want, and Company A has the best price, and I've misplaced my teleporter and/or time machine, I'm still going to buy it from Company A. Because how are they any different than every Company B, Company C, or Company D that's selling an equivalent, for more, when and where I can get my product?
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1246 posts
494 upvotes
Victoria
Am I missing something in the comparison being thrown around? $100 USD for the tablet in the US vs $150 CAD in Canada. The US tablet is subsidized with adds (which you can pay $15 USD to remove where the Canadian tablets do not have this same advertising). So that's $115 vs. $150. Let's add USD to CAD conversion. At today's rate, that's now $142.31 CAD. And if you want to consider some of Amazon's shipping costs to get it to Canada... Doesn't seem like much of a cost difference to get so worked up over...
Nov 10, 2013
88 posts
96 upvotes
So is now the best time to buy it or wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday or even Christmas? Or are they usually the same price as now?
When do Fire tablets typically go on sale for the lowest price?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16226 posts
4653 upvotes
Toronto
SunsetChaos wrote: So is now the best time to buy it or wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday or even Christmas? Or are they usually the same price as now?
When do Fire tablets typically go on sale for the lowest price?
I got the 64 GB for $149 and have till Jan. 31, 2022 to return it. If I find it cheaper elsewhere, or if Amazon drops the price, I can either get a price adjustment, or return what I have and get another one at the cheaper price.
Sep 25, 2015
253 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Singles day coming up. The Fire 8 is great for the price when on sale, but if you are going 10 inch might want to consider something like the Alldocube iplay 40 (pro)
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23136 posts
28665 upvotes
NickelFinger wrote: Singles day coming up. The Fire 8 is great for the price when on sale, but if you are going 10 inch might want to consider something like the Alldocube iplay 40 (pro)
I made a mainland girl cry on singles day, so I have mixed feelings about the day.

I'm gung-ho about the Fire HD, though.
Feb 12, 2017
65 posts
42 upvotes
back to original price at amazon as well as staples. you guys think this will go on sale during Black friday / boxing day ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6206 posts
415 upvotes
Murica
To those who have the Fire HD 10 tablet, Does Fire tablet have Ring doorbell or Blink camera app? Does notification work and view work?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2160 posts
2155 upvotes
Ottawa
MikeyCanuck wrote: The US tablet is subsidized with adds (which you can pay $15 USD to remove where the Canadian tablets do not have this same advertising).
Really? Wow...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
6537 posts
6806 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
MikeyCanuck wrote: Am I missing something in the comparison being thrown around? $100 USD for the tablet in the US vs $150 CAD in Canada. The US tablet is subsidized with adds (which you can pay $15 USD to remove where the Canadian tablets do not have this same advertising). So that's $115 vs. $150. Let's add USD to CAD conversion. At today's rate, that's now $142.31 CAD. And if you want to consider some of Amazon's shipping costs to get it to Canada... Doesn't seem like much of a cost difference to get so worked up over...
Nah the 32 GB HD 10 regularly goes on sale in the US for $79.99 USD, that's where the $100 CAD figure came from in the other post. I think I've even pointed this out myself in the past in older threads. Like hell even during Prime Day in the US this year they still sold it for $79.99 lol.

So even factoring in paying $15 to remove ads, at $94.99 you're still miles ahead even after conversion, especially if you get it shipped to or acquire it in a state with little or no sales tax.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
2527 posts
942 upvotes
Halifax
chemicalxv wrote: Nah the 32 GB HD 10 regularly goes on sale in the US for $79.99 USD, that's where the $100 CAD figure came from in the other post. I think I've even pointed this out myself in the past in older threads. Like hell even during Prime Day in the US this year they still sold it for $79.99 lol.

So even factoring in paying $15 to remove ads, at $94.99 you're still miles ahead even after conversion, especially if you get it shipped to or acquire it in a state with little or no sales tax.
So the point still stands then… $95 USD = $118 CAD, which is a $17 (14%) markup to the $135 it sold for a few days ago. I wouldn’t call a 14% price difference “miles ahead” especially given how pretty much any and all electronics have been at least 10-15% cheaper in the US for as long as I can remember. Cross border shopping has existed for a long time for a reason, especially for things like electronics. People getting bent out of shape over nothing here…

Also if you look at it the other way, it’s only just over 12% less in the US from the $135 it sold for here after factoring in the ad removal.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1201 posts
295 upvotes
Oakville
cloak wrote: Really? Wow...
Yeah. You have two versions of the tablet - with ads and without.

But there are also a bunch of videos on youtube that show you how to get rid of the ads.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
1955 posts
620 upvotes
Toronto
yea i got the fire10 and ran the toolbox to removed all the bloatware, ads, etc. added nova launcher and looks good for basic tablet
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16226 posts
4653 upvotes
Toronto
XSnapSX wrote: yea i got the fire10 and ran the toolbox to removed all the bloatware, ads, etc. added nova launcher and looks good for basic tablet
This is exactly what I did as well. I would just make sure that you disable automatic updates or else your launcher will be reverted back and you will need to run the toolbox again.
Jul 15, 2019
212 posts
169 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
maniacshopper wrote: To those who have the Fire HD 10 tablet, Does Fire tablet have Ring doorbell or Blink camera app? Does notification work and view work?
I'm just about to load Fire Toolbox so I'll answer your question while I have the stock Fire tablet OS - yes it has Ring and Blink apps. I'm not going to install them now and test but I imagine notifications and live view will work just like your other devices. If a device advertises as "works with Alexa" I can only imagine the Amazon tablet supports it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)