Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Fire HD Tablets 25% off when you buy 3 (HD 8 can be unlocked)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 10:16 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6502 posts
2550 upvotes
Calgary
superbigjay wrote: I guess yo can install games to play offline ?
Also add videos on an external sd card (to watch in the plane)?

Planning a trip with 3 kids ...
so this 3-pack could just be fine!
Yes, its just like a normal android tablet once you install google play on it. My daughter uses hers daily for games, youtube, and yes you could load movies on an SD card.
Nov 7, 2013
304 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Can't you mix/match tablets for the savings (i.e. I need 2 x 7" tablets and 1 x 10" tablet). When I add all to cart and checkout there is no savings
Mar 4, 2015
563 posts
651 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have PC optimum points, call your local shoppers. I saw 8's and 10s this weekend in Vancouver. The $170 for $120 in points tier is kinda perfect for the 10, or add $100 of other stuff with the $300 for 200k points tier.

Expires today.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
2980 posts
3334 upvotes
in for one fire hd 8 or fire hd 10 if you're in moncton and want to group buy
Jan 9, 2012
78 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I'm not sure what OP means by unlocked but as far as I know the HD8 only has a hardware root and no bootloader unlock yet. You can read more here: XDA discussion

If there really is a software root or bootloader unlock I would love to know about it!
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
T3rry wrote: yes once play store is installed you can run practically anything on it
i heard just because it has support for widevine l1, doesn't mean it can do netflix hd, it has to be listed by netflix to support the device.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
2369 posts
569 upvotes
York
divx wrote: i heard just because it has support for widevine l1, doesn't mean it can do netflix hd, it has to be listed by netflix to support the device.
This is the main reason I sold the HD 8 and then HD 10. They can't even run Netflix at 720/1080p. Max is about 540p.
"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6502 posts
2550 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote:
i heard just because it has support for widevine l1, doesn't mean it can do netflix hd, it has to be listed by netflix to support the device.
The Destroyer wrote: This is the main reason I sold the HD 8 and then HD 10. They can't even run Netflix at 720/1080p. Max is about 540p.
maybe that was then? but this is now... i am running a HD video right now on my hd8 i received yesterday i checked and it is widevine L1 so it should have no issues with HD content (even if its not 720, it looks fine on an 8 inch screen)... obviously you wont get 1080p, the screen isn't even that resolution, so why would the video be?
Capture.PNG

the only thing that kills me about the HD8 is the lack of GPS, i'd love to buy one for a car computer
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
Any good (decent) cover for fire 8 tabs?
- good
- cheap
- fast delivery (I need them in 3 weeks)

PS: it can be sold in pack of 3
;-)
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
I've got a question on how to install a new launcher on the fire 8 tab...

I have install the 4 apk to run google play store.

Then I tried to install LauncherHijack in order to replace amazon launcher with Google Now Launcher.
But even after installation, the Settings → Accessibility → To detect home button press
Cannot be enabled...

Anyone has done it lately?
If so, can you refer a tutorial for it?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered 3. Anyone wants to split it. PM me. Mississauga area
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2015
1255 posts
2075 upvotes
Vancouver
I hacked non HD-7 the other day to use it as a cheap weather station.
Even after hacking (adding google play + nova launcher), I wasn't able to bypass the unlock screen. (non-HD 7 can't be rooted)
All I wanted to be able to wake up the tablet, and show the weather forecast, and nothing else until powered off.

Another thing I noticed was that even after adding Google Play, there was no way to log off from my Google account other than completely resetting
because Google setting resides not in Google Play app, and I couldn't install Settings app to overwrite the Amazon settings.

I'm guessing if HD8 can be rooted, these problems will go away?
Aug 10, 2013
522 posts
247 upvotes
Mississauga
superbigjay wrote: Ok...
In for 3 !!!
Thabks OP
I am in too!Winking Face
I do not know why I buy 3 tablets, I do not need 3, but it seems a good deal......

I was hoping Amazon has more color to choose from .
I bought 3 HD 8 tablets.(2 Blue & 1 Black)

Thanks Op!
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
vrej wrote: Let me try....
- Youtube - within the app I have the cast icon. I CAN cast.
- Netflix - I CAN cast .
- Prime Video - I don't see how to cast from within the app
- Screen mirroring - not in the normal settings, but I now see from this video that it can be done via Google Home (though you get an message saying it's not optimized.)

Therefore I stand corrected! If my memory serves, I suspect the app for Netflix from the Amazon app store didn't have the casting option, but installing from Google Play store has it.

Hope that helps. (I'll go edit my above post too.)
For Youtube and Netflix, did you install from Google Play Store, or Amazon store?

I installed Google play using the 4 Apks trick (ie not rooting the device) on my Fire8 tab and Netflix doesn't show when I search for it on the Google play store?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
superbigjay wrote: I've got a question on how to install a new launcher on the fire 8 tab...

Then I tried to install LauncherHijack in order to replace amazon launcher with Google Now Launcher.
But even after installation, the Settings → Accessibility → To detect home button press
Cannot be enabled...

This morning, the amazon OS update completed (it was downloading the 1GB update yesterday when I initialy tried).
By re-installing LauncherHiJack, I was able to turn on the TO_DETECT_HOME_BUTTON_PRESS option.

So this part is resolved.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2012
1175 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
Mediatek proc :D Not even the new good Helio ones.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
T3rry wrote: maybe that was then? but this is now... i am running a HD video right now on my hd8 i received yesterday i checked and it is widevine L1 so it should have no issues with HD content (even if its not 720, it looks fine on an 8 inch screen)... obviously you wont get 1080p, the screen isn't even that resolution, so why would the video be?

Capture.PNG

the only thing that kills me about the HD8 is the lack of GPS, i'd love to buy one for a car computer
last time i checked, netflix support for android was pretty limited, perhaps they have improve on it but didn't really update the list on their website.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2006
6502 posts
2550 upvotes
Calgary
superbigjay wrote: I've got a question on how to install a new launcher on the fire 8 tab...

Cannot be enabled...

there are a few tutorials on XDA-Developers.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2975 posts
2003 upvotes
montreal
T3rry wrote: there are a few tutorials on XDA-Developers.
Thanks.
I looked at the tutorials and was about to try the command line trick to enable the option,
but after the amazon fire 8 update (1GB download that was in progress while I was trying last night) the ON/OFF option was available in the settings ...
And I was able to change the amazon launcher with Google now launcher.

Now, I have to find a way to install the "google play" Netflix on it.
Yesterday, when I tried, the Google Play search for Netflix didn't show the netflix app.
I'll try again tonight to see if this is also related to the update that might have been in progress.

cheers.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)