• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 8:51 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 3, 2020
13 posts
33 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Fire TV Cube 4k - $119.99

Regular price is $149.99. cheapest it's been is during Black Friday. But if you didn't get one this seems like an ok deal. The fire TV sticks are also on sale.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Feb 6th, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link/nonRFD affiliate tag removed
49 replies
Mar 21, 2012
507 posts
395 upvotes
Edmonton
$119 is still a bit much IMO. I really like mine, but it's not a big enough upgrade from GCwGTV unless you really like being able to talk to Alexa directly.
Apr 12, 2013
580 posts
503 upvotes
BC
I've never understood how or why the cube is supposedly much better than a firestick. The speaker is apparently poor, so the only advantage is ethernet (that I would like). Solution looking for a problem?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3473 posts
2121 upvotes
Kitchener
AndrewBond wrote: I've never understood how or why the cube is supposedly much better than a firestick. The speaker is apparently poor, so the only advantage is ethernet (that I would like). Solution looking for a problem?
Better processor (8 core vs quad) and more data storage (16GB vs 8). I would think that many apps would simply run better on the Cube vs the Stick. Main disadvantage is that you'd have a difficult time hiding this unit. And ethernet is an advantage, of course.
Why can't we all just get along?
Dec 11, 2009
713 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Better CPU, Ethernet, Double Storage, Speaker, "Always on Alexa" (equivalent to buying an echo dot on the side) and I think a feature that can be really strong for some people is the IR extender and capabilities. This device is able to control all your AV equipment via voice commands. If you use that it's really good value for the price.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 3, 2020
13 posts
33 upvotes
I've never been a big fan of the fire sticks. Always thought they were a bit under powered.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2350 posts
2183 upvotes
Whitby
This price just get an Nvidia Shield.
Jul 27, 2016
183 posts
114 upvotes
victoria
I really like the ability to control (turn off) my soundbar . With firestick sometimes it would turn on tv but not soundbar. Then it was a pain to get them in sync with the one firestick remote). When this happens now I just say Alexa turn on soundbar
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13795 posts
3830 upvotes
Scarberia
still kinda xpensive! waiting for it to hit sub 100$ then i might buy it! already have 4k stick, googletv stick, and nvidia shield 2018 model!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Jul 11, 2017
620 posts
717 upvotes
MoreDealsPlease wrote: Better CPU, Ethernet, Double Storage, Speaker, "Always on Alexa" (equivalent to buying an echo dot on the side) and I think a feature that can be really strong for some people is the IR extender and capabilities. This device is able to control all your AV equipment via voice commands. If you use that it's really good value for the price.
This is the main reason I got the firecube. I was sick of having to use 4 different remotes.
Jul 11, 2017
620 posts
717 upvotes
Barrie905 wrote: I've never been a big fan of the fire sticks. Always thought they were a bit under powered.
As opposed to what, to watch what? Or are you just a shield snob trying to justify spending too much just to watch Netflix?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28402 posts
8854 upvotes
Still waiting for scAmazon to put the Firestick 4K back to $35 but don't think that's gonna happen since they've started this Firestick "Lite" BS which they price at $40 and pretend it's a sale :rolleyes:

mikka2017 wrote: still kinda xpensive! waiting for it to hit sub 100$ then i might buy it! already have 4k stick, googletv stick, and nvidia shield 2018 model!
I'm pretty sure it was $99 before--PD, BF.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15043 posts
2972 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Bella125 wrote: As opposed to what, to watch what? Or are you just a shield snob trying to justify spending too much just to watch Netflix?
Exactly the same sentiment. FireTV 4K stick is plenty powerful for what its designed to do.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
6238 posts
1097 upvotes
Ontario
If anyone is actually interested in the deal that the OP posted like myself, you can buy from Staples and use coupon code 77473 to save another $5.99 with free shipping.
Jun 22, 2004
2586 posts
549 upvotes
The cube is definitely an upgrade on the 4K stick, I am happy I made the switch on our main TV. That said, if you can wait for a sale do so, $120 still seems high. I paid $90 back in October when it was at $99 and Staples had a coupon.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
2586 posts
549 upvotes
Barrie905 wrote: I've never been a big fan of the fire sticks. Always thought they were a bit under powered.
Bella125 wrote: As opposed to what, to watch what? Or are you just a shield snob trying to justify spending too much just to watch Netflix?
I sold my 2017 Shield after using a 4K stick for a while. I didn't game anyway, and used it primarily for Plex and streaming. Admittedly my Shield always had remote issues which were irritating, but the best thing was the price I got for the Shield more than covered the Cube that I replaced it with because there are lots of Shield snobs...
Apr 10, 2013
844 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this better then getting an android box ?

Kids broke the remote of mag254 so I was thinking of replacing it with an android box
Banned
Jun 13, 2020
175 posts
159 upvotes
Can anyone comment on how smooth the UI is? Is it faster than say a Mi Box?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3858 posts
2403 upvotes
Vancouver
ES_Revenge wrote: Still waiting for scAmazon to put the Firestick 4K back to $35 but don't think that's gonna happen since they've started this Firestick "Lite" BS which they price at $40 and pretend it's a sale :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it was $99 before--PD, BF.
Fire stick was $45 sale price during last holiday season so its unlikely to hit $35 again anytime soon. The holiday/prime day prices generally are the lowest price for amazon products and given retailers prices are determined by manufacturer these days, unless someone decides to clear it out, you are likely stuck at $45 the next time its on sale.

Maybe the $45 is covid related and as covid lockdown measures start being removed, the price will go down again. But even then, you might need to wait till holiday season before seeing the price drop.
Oct 24, 2012
175 posts
115 upvotes
CALGARY
I have two of those, and got them around 90 around BF in 2019. The UI is very smooth, don't have firestick to compare with, but have MiBox from 2017 or earlier, and Cube is definitely faster, way faster to boot up. One of my cube is attached to a Sony Soundbar/TV and other one with a Sony AV Receiver/TV, and after the initial setup, I can control like turning on/off tv, cube and volume with Alexa voice command.

Cube is hexa core (6 core) not 8 core cpu as someone posted above. I am not a hardcore gamer on cube, but have played some basic games on cube and it never seems to lag. The only advantage I see with Shield (basic) is that Shield comes with Android TV/PlayStore, and Cube although Android based comes with Amazon App store, which has somewhat limited number of app available, but you can always side load apps for sure. I have done that with Telus Pik TV, which is not available on Amazon store.

And Staples has it also on sale for 119, and also it can be combined with 10$ off 100$ coupon with a new sign up for Staples newsletter, and probably the staples coupon code 77473 might stack to reduce it even further.