Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Fire TV Cube 4K Ultra HD streaming device with Alexa - $110 with Free shipping

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2022 12:12 pm
Thread Summary
See how the Fire TV Cube compares to others in RFD Reviews' top picks for the best media streamers!
44 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 8, 2011
1452 posts
1347 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
I imagine this is pretty much everywhere. I just checked Best Buy and it's the same price.

EDIT: Also, the 4K Max is $10 off.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3779 posts
913 upvotes
Is this device been upgraded or still old version?

Does anyone know if this can work with cable boxes etc? or tv, or is it only exclusive to amazon stick?

For example if I say alexa go to HDMI 1 and change cable box to channel 24?
Sr. Member
Mar 21, 2012
585 posts
514 upvotes
Edmonton
this is the 2nd gen fire tv cube that came out in 2019. It will change your TV to any HDMI source you want, but I doubt it will control your cable box.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2862 posts
3737 upvotes
Queuing the DeLorean owners....3..2..1...

IMO, from experience of using this every day, 110$ is a fair price.

Cheers, KH
Member
User avatar
Dec 13, 2014
202 posts
77 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
I had to return 2 of these (faulty remotes). Grabbed the 4k Max instead and all good!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6700 posts
3049 upvotes
Toronto
what's the benefit of this over 4k max?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3236 posts
2090 upvotes
EDMONTON
I've had both the 4K stick, 4K Max, and the Fire TV cube.

I will say that the Cube is significantly better than the sticks in terms of performance. If you run Kodi on these, the Cube is the one to get. The kodi experience is just so much better. Benchmarks say it runs kodi even better than the Shield TV

It is also nice that you can just walk into your house and say "Alexa, open Youtube" as you are taking off your shoes and coat. If you want alexa to open SmartTube TV, there's an additional plugin you need to install for that.
Last edited by umadbrah on Jan 14th, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
teksavvy sucks
Newbie
Nov 22, 2018
79 posts
119 upvotes
GTA
EEE2 wrote: Is this device been upgraded or still old version?

Does anyone know if this can work with cable boxes etc? or tv, or is it only exclusive to amazon stick?

For example if I say alexa go to HDMI 1 and change cable box to channel 24?
Yes it can, you have to add devices to control then just say "Alexa, switch to HDMI 2" or "Alexa, switch to Cable". If you say "Alexa, go home" it will switch to the appropriate input where it is connected.
Also, "Alexa, volume up" and similar commands work well, either for TV or to control your audio amp.

You can also control Rogers Ignite box, say "Alexa, tune to channel 8" or "Alexa, tune to CNN on cable" but you have to choose different provider when setting the control for the cable box, choosing Rogers did not work for me. I am not home at the moment to check, I can update later.

BTW, it comes with IR blaster, so in case the placemt of Fire Cube is not optimal to control your devices, you can add the blaster.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6700 posts
3049 upvotes
Toronto
jhendel wrote: Image
So is it basically a firestick 4k max + an amazon echo in one?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10441 posts
7498 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote: So is it basically a firestick 4k max + an amazon echo in one?
Cube also has a more powerful CPU than 4k max, hexa core vs quad core.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2532 posts
2950 upvotes
Fredericton
A lot more proessing power as well.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14791 posts
5430 upvotes
London
PSA:

Be careful when you buy this. It can't do 4k Dolby Vision on some LG Oleds for some reason. I have a B6 in my bedroom and while the device can be set to 4k 60 with DV no problem, when you try to stream anything it downgrades the signal to 1080p.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3236 posts
2090 upvotes
EDMONTON
Viper98 wrote: PSA:

Be careful when you buy this. It can't do 4k Dolby Vision on some LG Oleds for some reason. I have a B6 in my bedroom and while the device can be set to 4k 60 with DV no problem, when you try to stream anything it downgrades the signal to 1080p.
Works fine on my LG C1. I watched Ted Lasso on the apple TV app in UHD and Dolby Vision.

If it's downgrading to 1080p, it's possible you aren't getting the required bandwidth from your internet
teksavvy sucks
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2983 posts
2710 upvotes
Whitby
At that price get the shield from nvidia. Better support and regular updates. Little more $ but worth it.
Member
Oct 13, 2018
407 posts
505 upvotes
I have 4k max, Cube and regular 4k fire stick. Cube is by far a more powerful polished device. It's also has more storage 16 GB and the ability to use Alexa without pressing on the remote relay helps.
Cube feels way more responsive than max. I feel the regular 4k stick and Max are closer in terms of performance , cube is on a different playing field.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1332 posts
61 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: PSA:

Be careful when you buy this. It can't do 4k Dolby Vision on some LG Oleds for some reason. I have a B6 in my bedroom and while the device can be set to 4k 60 with DV no problem, when you try to stream anything it downgrades the signal to 1080p.
I suspect it's because the TV can't handle Dolby Vision at 60fps. Try 30hz and see if it works.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3236 posts
2090 upvotes
EDMONTON
dyalect wrote: At that price get the shield from nvidia. Better support and regular updates. Little more $ but worth it.
Shield is more than double the price of the cube and 4x the costs of the firesticks. It's going to depend on what you need to run on your TV. For a majority of people, the Max or even the regular 4K stick will be good enough.
teksavvy sucks
Member
Dec 14, 2006
267 posts
107 upvotes
I have the 4k max and can't passthrough truehd or dtshd through kodi. Am I correct to assume the cube can't passthrough HD audio either?

Top