Fire TV Cube 4K Ultra HD streaming device with Alexa - $110 with Free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2022 8:32 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4013 posts
1111 upvotes
leenoox wrote:
Yes it can, you have to add devices to control then just say "Alexa, switch to HDMI 2" or "Alexa, switch to Cable". If you say "Alexa, go home" it will switch to the appropriate input where it is connected.
Also, "Alexa, volume up" and similar commands work well, either for TV or to control your audio amp.

You can also control Rogers Ignite box, say "Alexa, tune to channel 8" or "Alexa, tune to CNN on cable" but you have to choose different provider when setting the control for the cable box, choosing Rogers did not work for me. I am not home at the moment to check, I can update later.

BTW, it comes with IR blaster, so in case the placemt of Fire Cube is not optimal to control your devices, you can add the blaster.
+1 Op this is amazing info. I got kids now. Lots of times I'm holding baby and the voice control of this device would help me. Change channel to whatever when my other son wants to watch cartoons etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
3706 posts
2621 upvotes
EDMONTON
pacman wrote: I just got a 4k Max stick and installed the Kodi software this morning. Do you have any guidance as to what add ons to use for sports and tv shows?
For free sources use The Oath and The Crew
For premium (debrid) sources, use Venom, Fen, or Seren

For Sports, use Mad Titan or Rising Tide.
The Crew also has a sports section.

It is highly recommended to use a real-debrid subscription with Kodi. It's like $4-5 a month.
teksavvy sucks
Mar 17, 2017
292 posts
139 upvotes
Does it play MEL Dolby Vison format of BluRay Remux? Some remux not working with my Firestick 4K Max, I got a black screen
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1837 posts
2167 upvotes
Toronto
can you cast to these FireSticks??
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
May 11, 2010
6 posts
7 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
docbill10 wrote: I don't know who made this chart. But my Fire TV 4K (not 4K Max) dies picture in picture. I can open my security cameras while watching a movie, and it is picture in picture. I can then maximize the security camera if I want.

As far as hands free, if you have an echo dot or echo speaker, .. ., you can set the video device to any version of fire TV, and give verbal commands like to play stargate sg1. Alexa will find the TV series in a service you subscribe to and continue playing where you left off.
This is from Amazon.ca when you scroll down on any of the FireTV products.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8960 posts
16174 upvotes
Montreal
Back on sale for $110.
Feb 7, 2007
11 posts
1 upvote
Oakville, Ontario
FREE Prime delivery March 2 - 3 ????????
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8960 posts
16174 upvotes
Montreal
koze wrote: FREE Prime delivery March 2 - 3 ????????
Chip shortage?
Feb 7, 2007
11 posts
1 upvote
Oakville, Ontario
I ordered from BestBuy. Should be delivered today.
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
patiently waiting for revised model with Android 12, 64-bit, AV1, WiFi6, if they decide to update this one.
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
15235 posts
6055 upvotes
London
frugal69 wrote: patiently waiting for revised model with Android 12, 64-bit, AV1, WiFi6, if they decide to update this one.
wifi6 is a gamechanger

The 4k TV Max is the onyl device I've been able to use that can actually stream 4k DV content from my plex server flawlessly because of it's speeds.

The wifi comes in about 4x faster than on my Apple TV 4k
Jul 31, 2012
342 posts
666 upvotes
Viper98 wrote: wifi6 is a gamechanger

The 4k TV Max is the onyl device I've been able to use that can actually stream 4k DV content from my plex server flawlessly because of it's speeds.

The wifi comes in about 4x faster than on my Apple TV 4k
Nvidia shield works great with plex server.
ERROR
You cannot vote on your own post.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11179 posts
3539 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bob1321 wrote: Does it play MEL Dolby Vison format of BluRay Remux? Some remux not working with my Firestick 4K Max, I got a black screen
don't you need that beta exoplayer installed to play DV from say plex or jellyfin servers for any android device. Or for kodi seek out @ kodinerds a special build called Maven kodi build for android to support DV etc
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22351 posts
7596 upvotes
Also available at The Source, if they have any stock...
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
18639 posts
5442 upvotes
Scarberia
ymmv, theres a ongoing td promo cc where u get 40%off using rewards pts! u need to have one of the FCT cards i think

https://www.amazon.ca/b?ie=UTF8&node=21 ... rec_signin&

so somthing that costs me 124$ with tax at amazon cost me 30k td rewards pts ..not sure if thats worth it?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
23722 posts
188570 upvotes
GTA
DougO wrote: Also available at The Source, if they have any stock...
Thanks - it's also $5.50 cheaper there ($104.49) if you have PSP.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2006
1028 posts
151 upvotes
FireTV Cube/Box are better suited for those need more ports and/or like feed to Multi-chan audio to AV receiver for home movie theater setup.
However,unless you hack it, there is a catch with Amazon stock firmware that the external HDD/UsbDrv limited to 1TB and FAT32 (which is 4GB max each file).
Jan 14, 2005
325 posts
126 upvotes
Brampton
No, I don't think it can do that. It can open any app installed on it. You can ask it to open Netflix, Youtube etc. but it won't change any connections on your TV.
Sony XBR65X900H, Panasonic TH-50PX77U, Pioneer vsx-1325, klipsch Ref 82, Cervin-Wega E76-c, Klipsch 12" Sub, JBL-10 Sub, Polk-Audio Surround speakers, Harmony Ultimate, Playstation 5, Playstation 3, Wii, WiiU, AppleTV 4K, Amazon Fire TV Cube.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes
I have two of these (one up and one down) and have had for a long time, and here is my take - skip them.

Just get a Fire Stick 4K (and an Echo separately if you need the always-on voice control). You will pay about the same buying them separate, but have more overall functionality with less bugginess due to the devices being dedicated.

The biggest problem with this device is it is buggy in when it decides to route "Alexa" responses over the internal speaker vs out over the HDMI. It is completely outside your control how this works, and when it makes the wrong decision, and the TV and/or receiver is *off*, you can't hear anything. The only way to fix it is to unplug the device to reboot. it. It is incredibly annoying. Also, a standalone Echo has a useable speaker - the speaker on the Fire TV cube *sucks big time*.

The only time I would ever recommend this device over the much cheaper Fire Stick 4K would be if you REALLY KNEW you wanted the 16GB storage and the additional RAM.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19704 posts
2434 upvotes
SwaunyJones wrote: can you cast to these FireSticks??
Fire TV can accept MiraCast built in, and can accept Apple AirPlay and Google Cast with an app called AirReciever. We use both Google Cast and AirPlay with our Fire TV all the time with AirReciever. It used to be a free app, now I think it costs a small amount.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings