• Apr 26th, 2019 9:16 am
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1619 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 3:49 pm
Why do people buy these instead of a Roku? Seems like Roku is more feature rich, unless you're planning to sideload apps like Kodi or Terrarium.
Roku is not a great choice for Canadians. In addition, you have no control over network settings which is important for many.

The Firestick, Shield TV and Apple TV are all better options in my opinion ( for Canada).
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10516 posts
5617 upvotes
Oil Country
pmcd wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 11:46 pm
Roku is not a great choice for Canadians. In addition, you have no control over network settings which is important for many.

The Firestick, Shield TV and Apple TV are all better options in my opinion ( for Canada).
Works fine if you create a US account, and link it with that. Pretty easy to do too, and if you use a smartdns or VPN then you're set. Have been using US addons without issue for a few years now.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1619 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:05 am
Works fine if you create a US account, and link it with that. Pretty easy to do too, and if you use a smartdns or VPN then you're set. Have been using US addons without issue for a few years now.
I am familiar with using the US account for Roku. That still doesn’t get you Fibe TV, Crave, etc... Moreover, since you have to be able to edit network settings for DNS Proxies, and this can’t be done on the Roku, you are forced to put things on a router and possible. In many cases you even have to set up up ip filtering for google and other dns settings, a capability not in isp routers. It’s a nightmare. After doing all that you then find that DNS Proxies are not all stable. In fact most have given up when it comes to Netflix. The same goes with VPN services. Most do not work for Netflix. Amazon and even BBC are upping their blacklisting of them. In the end only the really pricey ones will be left.

The Roku does not have the development platform available to Apple, Google and Amazon devices. They used to be nice media players, and they sell well. They are not the future in my opinion. A person is better off looking at those other options.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10516 posts
5617 upvotes
Oil Country
pmcd wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:41 am
I am familiar with using the US account for Roku. That still doesn’t get you Fibe TV, Crave, etc... Moreover, since you have to be able to edit network settings for DNS Proxies, and this can’t be done on the Roku, you are forced to put things on a router and possible. In many cases you even have to set up up ip filtering for google and other dns settings, a capability not in isp routers. It’s a nightmare. After doing all that you then find that DNS Proxies are not all stable. In fact most have given up when it comes to Netflix. The same goes with VPN services. Most do not work for Netflix. Amazon and even BBC are upping their blacklisting of them. In the end only the really pricey ones will be left.

The Roku does not have the development platform available to Apple, Google and Amazon devices. They used to be nice media players, and they sell well. They are not the future in my opinion. A person is better off looking at those other options.
I'm just using a smartdns with my router... plain and easy. Don't really care about trying to get Netflix US, when I have access to Movies Anywhere, Hulu, HBO, The CW, etc. I'm surprised people are even wasting their time trying to get Netflix US still. The Rokus work well enough and are stable. As long as Google Play Movies, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, and soon Apple TV works, I'm okay with that. Don't care for the Bell stuff... it's crap. Hulu with HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc is better iMO. Was using that for a couple of years without issue. Also didn't have to worry about Hulu trying to stop me from using their service, like Netflix does.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1619 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:56 am
I'm just using a smartdns with my router... plain and easy. Don't really care about trying to get Netflix US, when I have access to Movies Anywhere, Hulu, HBO, The CW, etc. I'm surprised people are even wasting their time trying to get Netflix US still. The Rokus work well enough and are stable. As long as Google Play Movies, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, and soon Apple TV works, I'm okay with that. Don't care for the Bell stuff... it's crap. Hulu with HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc is better iMO. Was using that for a couple of years without issue. Also didn't have to worry about Hulu trying to stop me from using their service, like Netflix does.
Well you’ve got to go with what you like. I quite like Crave+Movies and many of the other services you mentioned. You cannot get a mix of US and Canadian services on the Roku. It’s one or the other.

I think it’s only a matter of time until Amazon, and perhaps Hulu, blacklists vpn type services. At that point it will be similar to US Netflix. Hulu is harder to predict given the whole Disney involvement.

Have everything, including financial data, possibly go through someone’s proxy server is not reassuring, no matter what the proxy companies claim.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10516 posts
5617 upvotes
Oil Country
pmcd wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 1:18 am
Well you’ve got to go with what you like. I quite like Crave+Movies and many of the other services you mentioned. You cannot get a mix of US and Canadian services on the Roku. It’s one or the other.

I think it’s only a matter of time until Amazon, and perhaps Hulu, blacklists vpn type services. At that point it will be similar to US Netflix. Hulu is harder to predict given the whole Disney involvement.

Have everything, including financial data, possibly go through someone’s proxy server is not reassuring, no matter what the proxy companies claim.
Yup... Hulu was doing it a few years ago, but either they stopped, or don't give a f**k. That might change down the road with Disney, who knows... I'm also using Amazon Canada not US, which I'm okay with. I also starting ditching a lot of those services, and started turning to digital codes for movies and TV shows. They're relatively cheap to buy online, and you own the license (gray market). They're also accessible everywhere you go.

I still use Kodi on a mini PC with Premiumizer and an IPTV service for sports, but everything is accessible wherever I go, which is awesome. I cut cable a few years back, and Netflix/Hulu are next. I'll keep Prime around because I have a subscription.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1090 posts
249 upvotes
Stroshow wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 5:00 pm
I need a device for the following:

- Streaming Netflix, YouTube, Plex, Spotify, Amazon Prime Video
- Streaming TSN GO, Sportsnet Now
- Access to my Bell FibeTV content
- Cast browser tabs to my TV (similar to what is available for Chrome and ChromeCast devices)

Would the Fire4K be able to do all of the above?
It has Sportsnet, but I don't see TSN Go when I did a search of the apos
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
5620 posts
3003 upvotes
Finally ran into an issue with ours that we bought on Black Friday. It would keep asking for the wifi password and saying it was incorrect. A simple unplugging of the device fixed it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Jul 6, 2017
53 posts
27 upvotes
This expired btw. Just when I went to pick one up :\
Jan 17, 2019
48 posts
28 upvotes
gfhyde wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:36 pm
This expired btw. Just when I went to pick one up :\
They drop to this price every 2 months.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1466 posts
612 upvotes
Does anyone know if you can put vlc media player on this?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2969 posts
308 upvotes
Brampton
Yeah Id like to know too, can you sideload google play and get rid of the amazon stuff like you can with the FireHD tablets?
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8331 posts
1395 upvotes
Winnipeg
pmcd wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 1:18 am

global companies do the bare min to please content providers geo restrictions because they want subscriptions thats their bread and butter. Geo restrictions is something thats counter productive to their endgame. They would rather have no geo restrictions.

If you worried about going thru a proxy server as more compromisable than isp? Run encryption.
May 7, 2011
42 posts
44 upvotes
NANAIMO
bigphil26 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2019 9:10 pm
Does anyone know if you can put vlc media player on this?
yes you can. you should be able to find it in amazon's app store