[Amazon.ca] Fire TV Stick 4K $54.99; Non-4K Stick $39.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2020 11:32 am
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1597 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
Got one of these over the xmas holiday and love it. Time to grab another....
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Nov 30, 2014
27 posts
56 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Coresu wrote: What about YouTube? On its own it doesnt support it?
There's a shortcut on the screen to access to youtube (using a browser). It works fine and the interface is optimized for TV.
But it seems Google and Amazon made amends and this year a real YouTube app is finally coming back to Fire TV.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/18/1841 ... nouncement

Regards.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2011
1597 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
jiayejoe wrote: Quick question for people who have experience with the device and the Bell Fibe App. Does it offer great picture quality?
When using the Bell Fibe app on my phone I get crystal clear picture, but when I cast from the Bell Fibe app to my Vizio TV, the quality is pretty underwhelming (<720p for sure).

Would the Fire Stick TV 4K offer picture quality similar to what I get on my phone or closer to the below average crap I get from casting?
TIA!
Yes it does offer great picture. I'm not sure if it's all in 4k quality though. The great thing about the Bell Fibe App is that it filters out all of the channels you're not subscribed to as well so navigating through the channels menu is a breeze
XBL: Swauny Jones
PSN: SwaunyJones
Nov 24, 2014
393 posts
322 upvotes
Quebec, QC
SwaunyJones wrote: Yes it does offer great picture. I'm not sure if it's all in 4k quality though. The great thing about the Bell Fibe App is that it filters out all of the channels you're not subscribed to as well so navigating through the channels menu is a breeze
Thanks for the fast reply!

Yeah I like the Bell Fibe App on my phone. It's efficient and the picture is awesome. I was really happy when I saw that Bell finally enabled the Casting option in their app. Well, happiness was short-lived because despite the picture being "watchable" on my TV, it's not enjoyable at all.

Glad to hear the Amazon Fire TV will do a better job than casting!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
Just ordered one, free same day delivery, awesome!
Multi Millionaire in Points
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1662 posts
1388 upvotes
Toronto
Coresu wrote: What about YouTube? On its own it doesnt support it?
Youtube app works great!
Multi Millionaire in Points
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7318 posts
729 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a good app to make this act as a "chromecast" receiver should the need arise?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18321 posts
8166 upvotes
Oakville
Note: the plex app for this is the oooooold one (not updated since at least the fall of last year - I know this because it still has capability for 3rd party channels, and it's still using the old UI design). It's a bit buggy. Loses connection to the server sometimes, requiring a force quit and restart. And it stays logged in to users with pins without asking to re-enter the pin, which if you're trying to lock your kids out of R rated content might be an issue for some people. And the video quality of the crave app is... Not good.
frogger wrote: Is there a good app to make this act as a "chromecast" receiver should the need arise?
You can miracast to it, but you can't turn it into a chromecast-compatible device.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2014
1145 posts
1192 upvotes
Toronto
Im about to pull the trigger, and Im trying to read a the reviews on the 4k version of the stick. However, being U.S. biased I feel a lot of the programming and stuff does not apply here in Canada (all the HDR, DV,, Atmos etc.) or does it and I just dont know? There is the Alexa voice control, but really is there a large enough benefit for paying 15.00 more from the regular firestick to the 4k one? Mainly in hopes to futreproof?
Feb 17, 2009
103 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
Get the 4K even if you do not have a 4K tv. Superior to the non 4K and worth the cost (controller, processor etc)