Amazon.ca

Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device - $49.99 -Price with Prime Membership

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2021 2:52 pm
May 29, 2005
710 posts
225 upvotes
Nepean
archon wrote: Do any of these Firestick support Infrared remote support? The one I have doesn't work with my old harmony because it the Firestick is RF only, and I don't want/need a new remote.
If you have a TV with CEC then you can control the firestick with that remote. No need for IR to Firestick. My Samsung can control the stick, you just won't have Alexa.
Jul 16, 2017
217 posts
211 upvotes
aximrocks wrote: fire tv 4k remote has an IR transmitter. it supports a ton of different manufactures. my harmony is idle collecting dust now.
I don't think you can control the Firestick 4k via IR though. I think that is only for control of other devices.
Last edited by archon on Oct 13th, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 16, 2017
217 posts
211 upvotes
jamzbe wrote: If you have a TV with CEC then you can control the firestick with that remote. No need for IR to Firestick. My Samsung can control the stick, you just won't have Alexa.
I understand that. If I had a system with CEC, I wouldn't need IR control of the Firestick. I'm using an older, but still good HD projector and Marantz receiver that do not have CEC. The point of the Firestick is to avoid a $3k upgrade that doesn't really improve picture or audio quality.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1712 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
archon wrote: I don't think you can control the Firestick 4k via IR though. I think that is only for control of other devices.
no, firestick uses bluetooth to communicate commands, it can't be controlled by IR. however, the included remote works for both the firestick and other IR devices.
so you don't really need your harmony any more.
Apr 8, 2007
366 posts
142 upvotes
aximrocks wrote:
no, firestick uses bluetooth to communicate commands, it can't be controlled by IR. however, the included remote works for both the firestick and other IR devices.
so you don't really need your harmony any more.
It can be controlled via IR but not out of the box. You'll need a USB otg y cable and an IR receiver (for example flirc). Depending on one's setup a harmony remote is still useful. But the firestick remote is great for some situation. I've controlled them via, CEC, IR and using the included remote. All work and all have different reasons to control the firestick in different situations.
Mar 7, 2011
130 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Nikhilvoid wrote: Does the Max allow lossless TrueHD audio? That's one thing missing from the 4k. Had to get a shield pro
4k got codec for FLAC in July 2021 it works with 7.99 amazon music subscription only
Dec 16, 2015
317 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Firestick Lite
For anyone wondering about the performance - it works great. NO issues with lag/low ram/ spotty wifi. I’ve personally experienced no performance issues.

I will admit, the TV controls on the remote are missed, if switching setups.(moved it from a display monitor to a TV), but definitely NOT a dealbreaker.the remote app works well too.

I bought it as a cheap spare a while back , but it’s come in waaay more useful than that
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3414 posts
1375 upvotes
, ON
How’s this vs Apple TV 4k 2021 edition?
I only use YouTube, prime video, disney, netflix. I need dolby atmos, dolby video
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3593 posts
5394 upvotes
Langley, BC
anotherbargainhunter wrote: How’s this vs Apple TV 4k 2021 edition?
I only use YouTube, prime video, disney, netflix. I need dolby atmos, dolby video
Firestick 4k doesnt have atmos on netflix
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10785 posts
3187 upvotes
Winnipeg
anotherbargainhunter wrote: How about firestick 4k max?

Apple tv 4k does have atmos on netflix?
yes they both do

as I believe?? so kinda does the other newer firesticks that run the higher fireOs 7(android 9 newer kernel) etc but not on the old 4k with fireOs 6(android 7) or any lower. The lite sticks however only support atmos passthrough.
Apr 26, 2019
461 posts
614 upvotes
archon wrote: Thanks. Too bad it will cost more to add IR capability than it did to buy the FireTV in the first place.
I have a Harmony Hub - I know it's not the same but it works great with the Fire Stick. I almost exclusively use voice control, "Alexa Turn on FireTV" will turn on my projector, turn on my amp, set both to the correct inputs and then turn on the fire stick.
Mar 17, 2015
609 posts
1106 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
So I have Prime but none of these prices are showing? Is dead or is Amazon pulling a 'bank' stunt (deal only for "new" members signing up for prime & $%&# existing members)?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
10157 posts
7130 upvotes
Toronto
Wheatboy wrote: So I have Prime but none of these prices are showing? Is dead or is Amazon pulling a 'bank' stunt (deal only for "new" members signing up for prime & $%&# existing members)?
Deal is over now.