All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
31 replies
Apr 25, 2019
885 posts
1531 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
This is a cold deal at best.
Wait until BF and they'll get these to as low as $25.
Last edited by LeifS39303 on Aug 15th, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo BF 2022 $30 20 GB ($25 for first 5 months!)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24360 posts
31264 upvotes
OP, the UI on this device is slow, I'd recommend getting the 4K version even for a 1080p panel.

It's a tough sell at this price, but I'll be fair and say this hits a definite niche.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Aug 15th, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2004
1023 posts
434 upvotes
Thanks Op. I have a couple of older 32" and 24" 720p TVs that I use and always wanted them to stream Netflix/Amazon Prime Movies/Plex. So, at this price point, I'm in for two.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12992 posts
3990 upvotes
Firestick is pretty cold. Hot deal if its chromecast. Google TV is this much better.
Jul 6, 2017
190 posts
101 upvotes
Ontario
spike1128 wrote: Firestick is pretty cold. Hot deal if its chromecast. Google TV is this much better.
I love my FireStick. Is this the general consensus or your opinion?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16296 posts
21300 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: OP, the UI on this device is slow, I'd recommend getting the 4K version even for a 1080p panel.

It's a tough sell at this price, but I'll be fair and say this hits a definite niche.
Which version of Fire TV Stick Lite did you use?

The Fire TV Stick Lite - 1st gen (2020) has the same Quad Core 1.7GHz processor and GPU as the Fire TV Stick - 3rd gen (2020) and Fire TV Stick 4K - 1st gen (2018)

The Fire TV Stick 4K has 50% more memory (RAM) than the other two sticks but has an older version of Fire OS

Check https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire- ... vsticklite
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1273 posts
1010 upvotes
Toronto
spike1128 wrote: Firestick is pretty cold. Hot deal if its chromecast. Google TV is this much better.
I have both the Fire Stick 4K & Light and they’re both amazing devices which can very easily be unlocked/jail broken without technical knowledge. I’m terms of performance the 4K is definitely better but the light version isn’t as bad as people here on RFD are saying. I would definitely recommend the Light version for a secondary TV or kids room. $35 is an OK price if you need one now. If you can wait until later this year both models will go on sale again like every year …
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33252 posts
15098 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: Firestick is pretty cold.
Esp. at today's insane Scamazon.ca prices. The 4K stick used to sell for this on sale; now you get this crap instead :rolleyes: Meanwhile in US, sale prices are still the same as they always were...
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1937 posts
1183 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote: I have both the Fire Stick 4K & Light and they’re both amazing devices which can very easily be unlocked/jail broken without technical knowledge. I’m terms of performance the 4K is definitely better but the light version isn’t as bad as people here on RFD are saying. I would definitely recommend the Light version for a secondary TV or kids room. $35 is an OK price if you need one now. If you can wait until later this year both models will go on sale again like every year …
What are some of the benefits to jailbreaking a Firestick?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
bizzyseller wrote: What are some of the benefits to jailbreaking a Firestick?
You can run Kodi. That's what I did with mine. Also Firestick Llite has fast UI.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2018
1344 posts
661 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: You can run Kodi. That's what I did with mine. Also Firestick Llite has fast UI.
I wouldn't exactly call clicking 1 check box that's built into the UI jailbreaking.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
6279 posts
6577 upvotes
GTA
Artwebb1986 wrote: I wouldn't exactly call clicking 1 check box that's built into the UI jailbreaking.
You must have me confused with another poster, I just stated what I did with mine.

Honestly not sure what all the downvotes are with this price or device. If you have an old 720p TV with an HDMI port, or don't care about 1080p+, this is a very good streaming stick. Performance is good, the UI is quick, it is flexible because it is (pretty much) Android, and you can't find many streaming devices with a remote in this price range. When the Walmart ONN Android TV device is available in Canada, then this might not be as good a deal, but even then that depends on what the price of it will be in $CAN.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
4228 posts
4586 upvotes
Whitby
Go 4k or bust. Its like what $20 more. Don't cheap out.
Jul 27, 2011
64 posts
48 upvotes
OTTAWA SOUTH
I have the Firestick 4K and no regrets; without any specific jailbreaking I can easily run my IPTV, Kodi and such (using Downloader to install the apps). I find the Firestick runs out of space quickly if you have a big Kodi library but there are tools/Kodi addons to deal with that. It is snappier than the Lite (I returned one) and they have the same interface now. For slightly higher price, the 4K version is recommended over the Lite version regardless of the resolution of your TV. I also have the Cube (latest gen) and as it has more storage, I haven't had the Kodi issues noted above. It feels snappier than the 4K but not significantly so.

You should also note that the Lite cannot control your TV, etc; this makes big difference, with the 4K version (or regular non-Lite Firestick or Cube) I have eliminated the TV and amplifier remote for the most part as you can setup the power button to turn on/off the other devices, go to the right inputs, etc. My other remotes are gathering dust and only used if I need to change very specific setting on those devices.

My only gripe about the Firestick/Cube is the lack of Google's app ecosystem but for the most part, I can either sideload the app (using the Downloader app) or have found something similar on the Amazon store that meets my needs. Amazon keeps it running and working just great for a few years now, prime video, amazon music, etc work great. A no-brainer if you have a prime membership, especially at the prices you can get these items for on Prime Day or other sales.

The big plus is that you don't have to watch your expensive "smart" TV become outdated as the manufacturers stop supporting their TVs almost instantly. These are so cheap and work so well that you would be crazy not to try it. The interface is a little "amazon...y" but once you build a bridge and get over it, you'll like it for what it is. For the most part, it makes your dumb TV smart and your smart TV even smarter.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1323 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: OP, the UI on this device is slow, I'd recommend getting the 4K version even for a 1080p panel.

The new FireStick Lite has the same processor as the 4K stick and has the newer version of FireOS.

Too bad they didn't upgrade FireOS for the 4K stick.... but I still would go with the 4K version myself.
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Walmart U.S. AT&T Group deal (kinda yay) + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2006
1686 posts
806 upvotes
Halton
RobHunt wrote: I have the Firestick 4K and no regrets; without any specific jailbreaking I can easily run my IPTV, Kodi and such (using Downloader to install the apps). I find the Firestick runs out of space quickly if you have a big Kodi library but there are tools/Kodi addons to deal with that. It is snappier than the Lite (I returned one) and they have the same interface now. For slightly higher price, the 4K version is recommended over the Lite version regardless of the resolution of your TV. I also have the Cube (latest gen) and as it has more storage, I haven't had the Kodi issues noted above. It feels snappier than the 4K but not significantly so.

You should also note that the Lite cannot control your TV, etc; this makes big difference, with the 4K version (or regular non-Lite Firestick or Cube) I have eliminated the TV and amplifier remote for the most part as you can setup the power button to turn on/off the other devices, go to the right inputs, etc. My other remotes are gathering dust and only used if I need to change very specific setting on those devices.

My only gripe about the Firestick/Cube is the lack of Google's app ecosystem but for the most part, I can either sideload the app (using the Downloader app) or have found something similar on the Amazon store that meets my needs. Amazon keeps it running and working just great for a few years now, prime video, amazon music, etc work great. A no-brainer if you have a prime membership, especially at the prices you can get these items for on Prime Day or other sales.

The big plus is that you don't have to watch your expensive "smart" TV become outdated as the manufacturers stop supporting their TVs almost instantly. These are so cheap and work so well that you would be crazy not to try it. The interface is a little "amazon...y" but once you build a bridge and get over it, you'll like it for what it is. For the most part, it makes your dumb TV smart and your smart TV even smarter.
Interesting... How does it "run out of space" with kodi? Unless you mean you keep your files locally...
Nov 21, 2018
405 posts
570 upvotes
Mission, BC
For streaming for family members that aren't tech-savvy and just need something that works? This is definitely my go-to. I run my plex server, everyone can access it via their FireTV or fire sticks, it's a win win.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24360 posts
31264 upvotes
325i wrote: The new FireStick Lite has the same processor as the 4K stick and has the newer version of FireOS.

Too bad they didn't upgrade FireOS for the 4K stick.... but I still would go with the 4K version myself.
Let's start with this. Is the 4K Cube running a faster processor?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12174 posts
6018 upvotes
Bad deal for a bad product. If you must have a firestick then just hold out for a better price.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!