Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Flexi Medium-Large Retractable Dog Leash Tape 16'/5m, Black/Pink $26

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2017 2:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1396 posts
420 upvotes
North York

Flexi Medium-Large Retractable Dog Leash Tape 16'/5m, Black/Pink $26

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
23% off
Retailer:
Amazon.ca
Amazon.ca has this Flexi retractable dog leash on sale for $14.87 (56% off), but only in black/pink

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EACJQW6/ref ... R99NI&th=1

UPDATE: Price is fluctuating like crazy the last few days, from $16 -> 14 -> 20 -> 26
Last edited by royaljelly on Jul 20th, 2017 12:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
9306 posts
56602 upvotes
Ontario
how good is flexi? I think ive seen it somewhere. A reliable brand name?
Nov 26, 2008
823 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
Solid deal. I own one and it's showing wear and tear now and since my first broke when we dropped it, this was a no brainer for a backup.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5416 posts
1325 upvotes
Toronto
Flexi leashes are the worst. Dangerous and bad for training. You're not doing anyone - your dog or other people - any favours. I still have a scar from a flexi leash accident (someone else's dog) from 15 years ago.
Nov 8, 2012
778 posts
228 upvotes
Absolutely the worst thing to leash your dog to. Just use a normal 5 foot leash, for the love of a well trained & behaved dog.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1396 posts
420 upvotes
North York
I'm on my second dog now with these leashes, and my first dog up to age 12 was with 2 flexi leashes and we never had any injury. As long as you are careful with the leash portion and don't get your fingers caught, you won't suffer any injuries. Plus I always shorten and lock the leash whenever my dog approaches another dog or is we are walking in an area with lots of other people, so that I'm always in control. I like to allow my dogs to have a bit of freedom when walking around the neighboorhood sniffing around, without me having to chase him at every step of the way. We can argue the pros and cons of these retractable leashes all day long, but if there were truly a health hazard, they would have been banned from the stores long ago. These leashes aren't for everyone or every situation, but for the responsible dog owner in the right environment, it's a nice piece of added convenience.
Last edited by royaljelly on Jul 20th, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9550 posts
2956 upvotes
OttRFD wrote: Absolutely the worst thing to leash your dog to. Just use a normal 5 foot leash, for the love of a well trained & behaved dog.
FYI...some areas you may breaking a by law if you walk your dog without a leash.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9550 posts
2956 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote: how good is flexi? I think ive seen it somewhere. A reliable brand name?
Great deal. Bought a small one about 2 years ago, still going strong and it does come with a lifetime warranty. We went through 2 previous leashes in two years before landing this one.
Mar 19, 2006
942 posts
300 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: FYI...some areas you may breaking a by law if you walk your dog without a leash.
I think they mean the flexi is the worse thing.... not leashing the dog .

I like the flexible leashes but given the fact that my daughter also walks the dog means that I stopped using it. She is not as careful as I am and has had a few close calls with the leash pulling quickly causing finger injuries. Also a pulling pup could lunge out into car/bike traffic easily if in the unlock position. Much harder to control and you must be vigilant while using it.
Last edited by Nanodollars on Jul 20th, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9550 posts
2956 upvotes
Nanodollars wrote: I think they mean the flexi is the worse thing.... not leashing the dog .
LOL...reading fail on my part.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1396 posts
420 upvotes
North York
Nanodollars wrote: I like the flexible leashes but given the fact that my daughter also walks the dog means that I stopped using it. She is not as careful as I am and has had a few close calls with the leash pulling quickly causing finger injuries. Also a pulling pup could lunge out into car/bike traffic easily if in the unlock position. Much harder to control and you must be vigilant while using it.
Completely agree with you about requiring a bit of strength with these leashes, especially if your dog is a big strong puppy like mine, or with kids I warn them and teach them how to use it and also not let the dog have a run at it as their momentum can really jerk you around. (definitely not recommended for little kids)
Apr 19, 2015
251 posts
264 upvotes
Be mindful that these types of leashes at full extension may actually be in violation of the law. In Toronto, the maximum leash length you can use is two metres. They're pretty lax about enforcement, but the law is on the books.

We use a long Flexi for our dog when we're in wide-open spaces - power lines, schoolyards, etc, but always shorten it up to two metres or less when there are others around. You also have to be prepared when you use it - dogs can get up to speed pretty quickly, before the tension kicks in, and so it can REALLY jerk your arm around and worst-case, wrench the leash from your hands. You've gotta be really attentive with these things, especially if you have a big, powerful dog. I have a 60 pound goldendoodle and she can put some muscle behind her movement if she wants to. These are pretty bad for training or for handling boisterous animals - if you're going to keep it short, you might as well just get a tougher, more comfortable training leash. Plus, if you use one and your dog gets up to speed, you'll want it to be attached to a back harness rather than a collar, so as not to hurt them. Attaching it to a back harness makes it easier to control and easier for the dog to walk without getting the leash stuck underneath them,

As a product, it seems great - the case is solid plastic, the leash tape feels well-made and the springs all feel tight as a drum. Plus you can lock it with one hand fairly easily. I paid $25 for a 25 foot Flexi and it's been a great purchase.