Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Full Face Snorkel Mask $29.99 After Coupon

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 11:00 pm
Nov 29, 2011
488 posts
400 upvotes
CALGARY
disappointed, thought I could get this and do some gold mining and get on the Bering sea gold show!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
OP thread title should read "snorkeling mask". This is not for diving... not even free-diving
Temp. Banned
Jul 30, 2017
29 posts
12 upvotes
It looks like a good product especially because of
180° full face design, anti fog and durability.
Jun 24, 2005
745 posts
131 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SoroSuub1 wrote: Make sure you teach them what to do if they accidentally dip the top of the snorkel into the water and get some water in their mouth. Not a pleasant surprise for someone who doesn't swim.
Not sure if this one has a ping pong ball in the breather tube that prevents water from going in if it gets submerged.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
Karlik wrote: The idea is nice and these type of masks work well _IF_ you are OK with the shortcomings:

- Since it is a full face, your breath is going to be on the inside. Fogging might become a major PITA if there is no anti fog coating or you don't apply a special solution prior to swimming.
- It is not possible to equalize pressure since you cannot touch your face. It is OK if you stay on the surface but you'll miss some fun exploring stuff up close.

I had this mask and ended up tossing it in favor of the tried and true classic design.
What is the tried and true classic design? Also, how long underwater can you stay with a snorkelling mask?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2034 posts
930 upvotes
Calgary
WenderH wrote: also note that these are not "dive" masks, as you cant equalize as you go deeper and you cant breathe too fast as you'll start inhaling re-circulated air and will get lightheaded.. they are meant for vert light surface snorkeling only.
There has been an increase in drownings in Maui this year. Some people have been linking the increase to the use of these masks - especially the rentals from snorkel shops.
No evidence to support it but an article suggesting it now needs to be tracked"
http://www.civilbeat.org/2017/03/counti ... ng-deaths/
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
So with a full face, there's nothing that goes in your mouth right?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8480 posts
5296 upvotes
Toronto
Deemo wrote: There has been an increase in drownings in Maui this year. Some people have been linking the increase to the use of these masks - especially the rentals from snorkel shops.
No evidence to support it but an article suggesting it now needs to be tracked"
http://www.civilbeat.org/2017/03/counti ... ng-deaths/
Is it because they stay underwater too long, treating it like diving? How much of an air supply does this give you to stay underwater, like maybe 3 breaths right? You basically have to stay at the surface the whole time? And dive slightly deeper for maybe a few seconds at a time, but that's it?
Nov 5, 2013
11 posts
4 upvotes
montreal
fightbriz wrote: What is the tried and true classic design? Also, how long underwater can you stay with a snorkelling mask?
you can stay underwater as long as you can hold your breath.. neither the full face or the regular snorkel give you any added "air supply", you need to go back to the surface and let the tube emerge from the water in order to take a breath
Last edited by WenderH on Sep 14th, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
2034 posts
930 upvotes
Calgary
fightbriz wrote: how long underwater can you stay with a snorkelling mask?

At surface - as long as you can stay without being tired or cold
Below water/Snorkel - as long as long as you can hold your breath
Underwater/Tank - same as surface but also need to keep some air in the tank

Basically a dive mask from a dive shop is the best route to go for quality best experience.
Fitment is key so best to try on. Place the mask on your face with no strap behind your head.
Breath in a bit to see if just the pressure keeps it on with no leak and no falling off.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Bought a mask similar to this one off Amazon for the kid and wife to snorkel I Maui. They loved it and one feature that my wife loved the most was she never had to bite on a snorkel.

As others have said, this mask makes diving a bit more challenging due to the big air pocket but it does make breathing a lot easier as you can breath through your nose or mouth.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1391 posts
143 upvotes
Edmonton
There are versions with a Camera Mount. The air bubble inside the mask is significant such that after about 30 -45 minutes, the buoyancy of the mask gave me a little neck strain.
Oct 13, 2005
531 posts
108 upvotes
Does anyone have experience with these? I bought one yesterday for my son because he had been wanting one for a while, but i'm confused about a few things, mainly what will happen if he submerges in water over the snorkel. I've read the comments and i'm aware its not for diving, which he wouldn't go below a few feet in a pool, but i'm concerned about what actually happens when its submerged entirely. Does it fill with water, can you breath OUT?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1391 posts
143 upvotes
Edmonton
When it's under water the snorkel valve ball will seal completely. No water will get in and you will not be able to breath out. It's not like a normal valved mouth snorkel where you can still breath out when you submerge.
Nov 5, 2013
11 posts
4 upvotes
montreal
if you go underwater, there's a floater that shuts so that water doesn't come in, and you can always exhale, but not re-inhale.
if ever water does go through, it'll just fill a bit at the bottom of the mask and will then evacuate through the drain valve when you get your head out of the water.
you don't need to blow the water out like you would a regular snorkel.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
canadiantofu wrote: When it's under water the snorkel valve ball will seal completely. No water will get in and you will not be able to breath out. It's not like a normal valved mouth snorkel where you can still breath out when you submerge.
You can still exhale.
Oct 8, 2013
387 posts
397 upvotes
Dartmouth
I've got one of the name brand ones of these. It's novel. I am not sure that I have much to add that hasn't already been said.

Diving with them is harder but not impossible. Not being able to equalize is annoying and the buoyancy of the air pocket you carry with you is noticeable. The unique sensation is that there is nothing physically in the way of attempting to take a breath while fully submerged but there being simply no air there.

Also, the difference in visibility isn't that noticeable. You don't see that much more.

It also allows you to have a sweet mustache while snorkeling.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2008
1184 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal
Not worth it, purchased a similar one : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01EYC ... UTF8&psc=1

We had lots of people over in the pool, it did not work for anyone. Any deeper than 2 feet and the water would come in from the sides, The silicon is not strong enough to counter- act the water pressure. Plus the elastic straps are super cheap.

One of my few amazon purchases I truly regret.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)