Images
  • 41BAEgkVnOL._AC_.jpg
64 replies
Dec 11, 2003
947 posts
243 upvotes
Montreal
need expert analysis on this one
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
Aug 11, 2014
89 posts
153 upvotes
St. John's, NL
The trekPow TJ2500 is only a few dollars more if you use code TKL69T34 at checkout. That seems like a better buy considering its 2500 amps compared to 1500 amps in the original post.

Trekpow TJ2500
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1020 posts
536 upvotes
I have a NOCO GB40, and my experience is always buy higher amperage than what you think you need because the Canadian winter will take a big hit on how much boost you can give to your battery.

I had a CR-V with a dying battery, and the GB40 worked well in the summer, got me going when the car couldn't start. It didn't stand a chance when temperature dropped below 0C. Had I bought a more powerful booster than just 1000A, I may have enough boost even for winter. I'd strongly suggest to go with 2000A or higher even if you think you may not need it
Last edited by number17 on Sep 17th, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3071 posts
1390 upvotes
Toronto
Jmartin22 wrote: The trekPow TJ2500 is only a few dollars more if you use code TKL69T34 at checkout. That seems like a better buy considering its 2500 amps compared to 1500 amps in the original post.

Trekpow TJ2500
Yes, only three dollars more. Can anyone advise if they really are comparable? Similar technology? And benefit to go for one or the other. More concerned with jump starting a weak battery than anything else.
Nov 6, 2019
11 posts
22 upvotes
beachlover wrote: Yes, only three dollars more. Can anyone advise if they really are comparable? Similar technology? And benefit to go for one or the other. More concerned with jump starting a weak battery than anything else.
May be this comparison video can help

Which Car Jump Starter Is Best
Sep 18, 2019
103 posts
147 upvotes
1500A is a very high price number for the price

i have been getting success with tacklife so i bought one from them just for a piece of mind in my car or i can help other people needing help, but i got one at similar price for 800A only

i have not used it once tho since my car or friends battery never been dead
Nov 27, 2009
113 posts
43 upvotes
Jmartin22 wrote: The trekPow TJ2500 is only a few dollars more if you use code TKL69T34 at checkout. That seems like a better buy considering its 2500 amps compared to 1500 amps in the original post.

Trekpow TJ2500
Got one. Thank you
Feb 24, 2006
50 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased this model last month and found out some quirks about it which prevented it from helping me start my car when I needed it last week. More details below.
TL;DR: If your car/target battery is higher than 9V, it may not give you a boost

A controller inside the inline fuse-box measures the voltage from the target battery once the clamps are connected, and through some testing I found that under certain conditions the controller will not close the circuit between the portable bank and the clamps, therefore there will be no output at the clamps. My findings are:
  • If the measured voltage at the clamps is less than 9.0V, then the controller will 'send' the output from the portable bank and everything will work
  • If the measured voltage at the clamps is more than 9.0V, then the controller will disconnect the output from the portable bank and the target battery will not be boosted

Unfortunately for me, my car's battery was at 10.9-11.0V which was low enough to not start the car but not low enough for the controller in the fuse-box to allow boosting to occur. I'll probably need to DIY/buy a straight cable to get around this controller issue, which becomes an inconvenience and added cost. Apparently some older shipments have a fuse-box with a bypass button, but mine does not have this feature. I e-mailed Trekpow and they said the new ones will not have a bypass button.

Just something to keep in mind.
Go Pens go!!
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2253 posts
463 upvotes

Trekpow TJ2500
Thanks i was looking for a lithium ion version to replace my old lead acid Canadian Tire one and with coupon code that's definitely a winner.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
6551 posts
3026 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sapphire68 wrote: I purchased this model last month and found out some quirks about it which prevented it from helping me start my car when I needed it last week. More details below.
TL;DR: If your car/target battery is higher than 9V, it may not give you a boost

A controller inside the inline fuse-box measures the voltage from the target battery once the clamps are connected, and through some testing I found that under certain conditions the controller will not close the circuit between the portable bank and the clamps, therefore there will be no output at the clamps. My findings are:
  • If the measured voltage at the clamps is less than 9.0V, then the controller will 'send' the output from the portable bank and everything will work
  • If the measured voltage at the clamps is more than 9.0V, then the controller will disconnect the output from the portable bank and the target battery will not be boosted

Unfortunately for me, my car's battery was at 10.9-11.0V which was low enough to not start the car but not low enough for the controller in the fuse-box to allow boosting to occur. I'll probably need to DIY/buy a straight cable to get around this controller issue, which becomes an inconvenience and added cost. Apparently some older shipments have a fuse-box with a bypass button, but mine does not have this feature. I e-mailed Trekpow and they said the new ones will not have a bypass button.

Just something to keep in mind.
Who design this stupid booster?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Oct 20, 2019
107 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
Got a comparable 1500A battery from Gooloo on Amazon for around 50$ last month (based on thread on RFD). At 65$ this seems a bit expensive.
That one also has good reviews from RFD users.
" If you really want to save money, don't browse RFD " - Unkown
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
3168 posts
5619 upvotes
Laval

Trekpow TJ2500
thanks for the tip and after watching this video I order one also

Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3196 posts
3264 upvotes
Vancouver
A few observations:

Very high number of 5 star reviews with overly-effusive praise = fake. Portable jump starters are far from a perfect product, and most buyers can't test them right away.

Specs like "1500 amps peak" are fake. See those tiny little jumper cables, just like all the other jump starters? Tests have shown that those cables can't carry more than 200 amps or so, so the number of peak amps has become one of those meaningless marketing numbers invented to pump up the product.

This does have an override button on the safety protection box in the cables according to the description. That's what you need to use if your battery voltage is too low for the safety circuit to detect.

Aside from the overblown fake specs and reviews, it's probably an adequate product at a reasonable price. The cautionary note is that in tests many of these cheap jump starters fail with symptoms like the battery overheating, expanding, and cracking the case open. Only specific independent tests could tell you how reliable the particular brand and model is, and most of the cheap brands don't have those independent tests.

There's another alternative to consider these days: the super-capacitor jump starter. No lithium-ion battery, they use a super-capacitor instead. The capacitor can't store a charge for a long time without it leaking away, so how they work is that you connect it to your weak battery for a few minutes and let it build up charge, then it can dump all that charge at once into giving you a boost. If your battery is too depleted to do even that much, you can ask someone else nearby to connect it to their car for a few minutes to build up charge - no need to string jumper cables between the cars.
Jan 8, 2015
142 posts
152 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I purchased two of these last year for around $75-90 and have had to use them both for two of our older cars. Each time this booster worked flawlessly (even used one of the boosters maybe 4-5 times on our one car within a few weeks cause our battery was old and having problems) and to be honest, even if I paid more than what others have paid for comparables, it's been totally worth it. I would recommend just having one of these in your car at all times!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

capital_region