Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] G22 Car Jump Starter-1500A Peak Battery Booster $64.99 @Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 5:47 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1046 posts
552 upvotes
melovesme wrote: Do these hold their charge levels if left in the car during the winter temperatures? Or do they need to be stored indoors
Like all batteries, they do not.

And when the battery booster itself is cold, even if it is fully charged, its power is greatly reduced.

But storing them indoor is kinda pointless, cause these portable boosters are supposed to save your day when your car's battery dies, so they are useless if you are out and the battery dies while the booster is home.

And unfortunately, usually your car's battery dies on the coldest days of the year, so a lot of times these battery boosters are just 'better than nothing' last resort but don't hold out too much hope for them. If you have a 2nd car around, that is always a better option with jumper cables. Always have a set of jumper cables in the trunk if your car battery is old.

What you need to do for these battery boosters in winter is keep them charged constantly. I charge them monthly to keep the charge up. And if the car battery breaks down where you have access to indoor (home, office, etc.), bring the battery booster indoor, and let it warm up to room temperature before you try to boost the dead battery.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3128 posts
1474 upvotes
Toronto
number17 wrote: Like all batteries, they do not.

And when the battery booster itself is cold, even if it is fully charged, its power is greatly reduced.

But storing them indoor is kinda pointless, cause these portable boosters are supposed to save your day when your car's battery dies, so they are useless if you are out and the battery dies while the booster is home.

And unfortunately, usually your car's battery dies on the coldest days of the year, so a lot of times these battery boosters are just 'better than nothing' last resort but don't hold out too much hope for them. If you have a 2nd car around, that is always a better option with jumper cables. Always have a set of jumper cables in the trunk if your car battery is old.

What you need to do for these battery boosters in winter is keep them charged constantly. I charge them monthly to keep the charge up. And if the car battery breaks down where you have access to indoor (home, office, etc.), bring the battery booster indoor, and let it warm up to room temperature before you try to boost the dead battery.
Agreed, but you are more likely to need it when you are home. Because of low overnight temps and the vehicle just sitting. When you have left, and are already out and about, the vehicle has been warmed up, the temps are usually a little warmer, alternator was hopefully just doing its job, etc.

So I think keeping this well maintained inside, at home, is my plan. If I get stuck elsewhere, I can either use my CT roadside assistance, or go home to get it.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3408 posts
3519 upvotes
Vancouver
number17 wrote: Like all batteries, they do not.

There are a couple of issues to consider:

- If you keep it in your car in the winter, the lithium-ion battery might be too cold to function properly if the temperature is really cold. The counter-argument is that the jumper battery warms up fast when you connect it to your car battery and attempt to start the car. Overheating the battery becomes the main problem if you try a couple of starts in quick succession. Just try once, then wait a few minutes for the heat to spread through the battery before trying again.

- Anything with a large lithium-ion battery is a fire hazard. If anything should accidentally bridge the battery contacts, it will melt down. The jump starters are designed to keep that from happening, but it's a risk if you've carelessly thrown it in the trunk, rattling around with a bunch of random objects like metal tools, or if you left the cables plugged into the battery, or if salt water is dripping onto it. And of course you are gambling on the quality of the internal construction, not always a good bet when you are dealing with cheap off-brand electronics. Personally I keep mine inside a sealed metal tin that should contain any incident and starve a fire of oxygen.
Aug 15, 2018
124 posts
62 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: There's another alternative to consider these days: the super-capacitor jump starter. No lithium-ion battery, they use a super-capacitor instead. The capacitor can't store a charge for a long time without it leaking away, so how they work is that you connect it to your weak battery for a few minutes and let it build up charge, then it can dump all that charge at once into giving you a boost. If your battery is too depleted to do even that much, you can ask someone else nearby to connect it to their car for a few minutes to build up charge - no need to string jumper cables between the cars.
^^ Scotty Kilmer ? Smiling Face With Open Mouth If not, I wonder if you've seen his video on this.
I've been watching the price on this SuperCap for a while now but can't seem to find a decent price.

Scotty Kilmer

Jan 19, 2006
850 posts
53 upvotes
I don't know how these things even work with the amount of computers, sensors and electronics in cars these days. You've adding a random voltage and amperage in parallel with your dead or half dead battery. You'd think it would just (like a previous poster said) trip a sensor not letting it start for overload/underload protection.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3408 posts
3519 upvotes
Vancouver
ScoFF wrote: I don't know how these things even work with the amount of computers, sensors and electronics in cars these days. You've adding a random voltage and amperage in parallel with your dead or half dead battery. You'd think it would just (like a previous poster said) trip a sensor not letting it start for overload/underload protection.
It's not that complicated. Your battery provides 12vdc. Your jump starter provides 12vdc. When you trigger the starter motor, the voltage momentarily dips way down as it draws hundreds of amps, then climbs back up towards 12vdc as the engine turns over. Until the battery starts to run down, when the voltage sags again. Your car wouldn't last very long if the electronics were damaged by this.
Nov 22, 2017
147 posts
196 upvotes
Purchased the trekPow TJ2500. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around! Not a bad price for a little peace of mind.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2011
1194 posts
327 upvotes
KANATA
Jmartin22 wrote: The trekPow TJ2500 is only a few dollars more if you use code TKL69T34 at checkout. That seems like a better buy considering its 2500 amps compared to 1500 amps in the original post.

Trekpow TJ2500
Thanks. Ordered one for myself, and got work to order one...coworkers getting them too.
derpin
Jul 1, 2008
344 posts
61 upvotes
manubear wrote: Purchased the trekPow TJ2500. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around! Not a bad price for a little peace of mind.
How is this one if you leave it in the car when it's -30 The one I currently have works great until about -20, after that I have to bring it inside and let it warm up for 30 minutes or so
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1046 posts
552 upvotes
beachlover wrote: Agreed, but you are more likely to need it when you are home. Because of low overnight temps and the vehicle just sitting. When you have left, and are already out and about, the vehicle has been warmed up, the temps are usually a little warmer, alternator was hopefully just doing its job, etc.

So I think keeping this well maintained inside, at home, is my plan. If I get stuck elsewhere, I can either use my CT roadside assistance, or go home to get it.
Yes ... for those with a 2nd car though, jumper cable from your 2nd car is probably the preferred option if you are home.

And really, if you are going to use this at home all the times, then you don't need a 'battery bank' style battery booster. You can get a battery charger / booster that plugs into AC.
Aug 5, 2012
278 posts
133 upvotes
Richmond Hill
number17 wrote: Yes ... for those with a 2nd car though, jumper cable from your 2nd car is probably the preferred option if you are home.
Few months ago, I jump started another car. Weeks later, my car started complaining battery error. The battery had to be replaced. My mechanic said never do jump start and warn me the alternator may go as well. Sure enough, the alternator had to be replaced. He suggested me use these jump starters instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3408 posts
3519 upvotes
Vancouver
roosterOON wrote: Few months ago, I jump started another car. Weeks later, my car started complaining battery error. The battery had to be replaced. My mechanic said never do jump start and warn me the alternator may go as well. Sure enough, the alternator had to be replaced. He suggested me use these jump starters instead.
I suggest that your alternator started to fail on its own weeks later by coincidence, and your mechanic should have told you that was the root cause of your battery failure. It happens, just random.
Jan 19, 2006
850 posts
53 upvotes
I also killed my car's alternator but jump starting a car. I don't think it's coincidence, the good car was running while jumpstarted.
I'll never jump start someone's car again, I'll just hand them the device.