[Amazon.ca] G22 Car Jump Starter-1500A Peak Battery Booster $64.99 @Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 5:47 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3156 posts
1539 upvotes
Toronto
number17 wrote: Yes ... for those with a 2nd car though, jumper cable from your 2nd car is probably the preferred option if you are home.

And really, if you are going to use this at home all the times, then you don't need a 'battery bank' style battery booster. You can get a battery charger / booster that plugs into AC.
I prefer to use my 3rd Rolls-Royce instead of that 2nd car we all have, because it may have already left also :) And of course, we all have our car in a warm garage with a plug close by.
Nov 22, 2017
149 posts
196 upvotes
superskid wrote: How is this one if you leave it in the car when it's -30 The one I currently have works great until about -20, after that I have to bring it inside and let it warm up for 30 minutes or so
No idea :)

I live in van so not really concerned about temperatures falling that low!
Aug 5, 2012
278 posts
133 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Susanclark wrote: No tax as wellGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes
This close the deal, TJ2500 + EC5 cigarette lighter socket $79.20, jump start when needed otherwise power my mobile office when engine is off. It will have to power my 12v auto vacuum too.
Aug 31, 2015
25 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Great deal for ~$68.

The headache of needing a boost for whatever reason and peace of mind having this thing, makes it all worth it.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3647 posts
2477 upvotes
GTA
Fake reviews and swelling battery problems.
Jan 29, 2020
245 posts
289 upvotes
The Autowit supercap booster has a second generation model which "should" arrive soon. I bought my first gen model in 2018 (?) and it works great, I've used it 3 times. I had to order it from amazon.com at the time.

Any lithium battery unit is going to be way outside its storage temperature range in your car. You are supposed to take it into the house every night. There is a hell of a lot of energy in a charged lithium battery, the fire risk is real.
Jan 29, 2003
241 posts
23 upvotes
ScoFF wrote: I also killed my car's alternator but jump starting a car. I don't think it's coincidence, the good car was running while jumpstarted.
I'll never jump start someone's car again, I'll just hand them the device.
Very important not to connect the negative onto the good car's negative battery but instead to any bare metal/ground. Doing that will damage battery, electronics, etc.
Aug 5, 2012
278 posts
133 upvotes
Richmond Hill
kooblu wrote: Very important not to connect the negative onto the good car's negative battery but instead to any bare metal/ground. Doing that will damage battery, electronics, etc.
None of my car manuals instruct negative to metal/ground instead battery negative terminal on the good car. Where did you get this instruction?
Jan 29, 2003
241 posts
23 upvotes
roosterOON wrote: None of my car manuals instruct negative to metal/ground instead battery negative terminal on the good car. Where did you get this instruction?
My bad, meant negative onto bare metal/ground on the vehicle with bad battery.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19479 posts
7611 upvotes
Toronto
I have been on the fence with getting one of these instead of carrying a home made 30 feet long booster cables. The thing that worries me is the capacity of these small battery packs and the thin gauge cables that comes with these units. Is the insulation material pliable at -40°C.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jan 19, 2006
852 posts
54 upvotes
I've read on multiple websites to connect the positive to the bad battery, then the positive AND negative to the donor car, then the bar metal part on the bad car (not the negative terminal on the bad car), then turn on the donor car and start the bad car.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
3444 posts
3554 upvotes
Vancouver
ScoFF wrote: I also killed my car's alternator but jump starting a car. I don't think it's coincidence, the good car was running while jumpstarted.
I'll never jump start someone's car again, I'll just hand them the device.
It's probably not a good idea to keep your engine running while jump-starting another car. It wouldn't do any harm with traditional electrical system designs, which is why people have done it that way for years, but you never know with modern flaky electronics. When the engine is stopped, you're pretty much guaranteed that boosting can't do any harm (as long as cable are the right way around). Every time you start your own car the starter motor draws hundreds of amps and the voltage drops temporarily way down from 12vdc. Starting another engine via jumper cables is the same thing. But when your engine is running, the alternator is trying to maintain 13+ vdc, and automatically works harder when the voltage tries to drop as you turn on more high-current circuits like the headlights. If you try to start another car with your engine running, it will draw hundreds of amps and your voltage will dip way down while your alternator is trying to maintain it, causing it to work at maximum capacity for a few seconds. That shouldn't do any harm to a properly-designed alternator and any associated electronics, and it didn't do any harm to traditional robust electrical systems. But modern fragile electronics? I guess you couldn't be sure...