Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Garmin Drive Assist 51 NA LMT-S with Lifetime Maps Plus Traffic-S $199.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 3:47 pm
30 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6541 posts
4211 upvotes
Ottawa
Costco sell this at $189.99 now, I had to return my 1 years old one to get $56 refund.
Buy Nice or Buy Twice.
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2010
913 posts
670 upvotes
Canada
Never understand how this kind of standalone navigation system is better than a smartphone.
Member
Mar 18, 2013
344 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Amowagou wrote: Never understand how this kind of standalone navigation system is better than a smartphone.
Because you know, data is expensive if you leave your cell/data designated area such as out of province or in USA or other countries (you can load additional maps onto sd card). Worst if you do camping /hiking/ fishing where you might not get cell signal on the way or at destination.
Last edited by Henry626 on Jul 21st, 2020 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member
Dec 4, 2007
249 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Amowagou wrote: Never understand how this kind of standalone navigation system is better than a smartphone.
To be honest, that's what I thought as well last year when I got rid of my standalone GPS systems. But after a year of using only my phone, I am tempted to buy something like this again. For one, this has an integrated dashcam which I don't already have, so that's something that appeals to me. Also, I find my phone overheating when used for long periods of time. And I guess the biggest convenience would be that I don't need to pull out my phone (and get distracted by notifications) when I am going for a casual drive and would just like to know what streets are coming up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5100 posts
1724 upvotes
Mississauga
I have this GPS unit. One of my favourites as it has a camera on it and it can do timelapse. The lane assist does not work very well though. I stopped using it only because Waze is better and all the rental cars I use nowadays have Android Auto available.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 2, 2018
1384 posts
1520 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Waiting for the navigation n00bs to jump in with their "smartphones make these obsolete" arguments.

I own one of these. Phones work fine when in coverage area. In areas where there's no coverage and/or you have no data, dedicated GPS units are worth their weight in gold.
Member
Mar 11, 2018
425 posts
212 upvotes
As good as it is having a dedicated gps for reliability, one thing that it hasnt been reliable in is the durability. My past 3 garmins have all stopped working properly after 1 or 2 years with various problems.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7613 posts
4242 upvotes
West GTEH!
I have an older Garmin GPS, Model 1350, and it's still going strong. Still receive Lifetime Maps update. Already have the latest map update, 2021.10
I also agree about Map navigation on Smartphones. it's convenient when you don't have a dedicated GPS unit.

I use both, GPS unit and my Smartphone for navigation for new addresses.
😎
Member
Jul 3, 2017
245 posts
693 upvotes
sid8tive wrote: Waiting for the navigation n00bs to jump in with their "smartphones make these obsolete" arguments.

I own one of these. Phones work fine when in coverage area. In areas where there's no coverage and/or you have no data, dedicated GPS units are worth their weight in gold.
google offline maps is a thing
Member
Oct 31, 2009
394 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
SamuelNapper wrote: google offline maps is a thing
This or any of the other offline maps apps. I can't believe Garmin is still milking this.
Jr. Member
May 3, 2016
180 posts
330 upvotes
This is a great GPS for cross country roadtrips (and rental cars).

I got mine from costco and it has been pretty much perfect except for one thing. The unit receives traffic data from a linked smartphone so you need data for it to work unless you buy a separate 12V charger with built-in traffic receiver (IIRC around $80 on Amazon). This is great for rental cars as the GPS has a dashcam built in so it's an all-in-one package.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 2, 2008
2593 posts
2011 upvotes
GTA
I have one, but the glass cracked. I suspect it was a super hot day and I had my A/C on high.

Wish Garmin would replace the glass.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2010
913 posts
670 upvotes
Canada
sid8tive wrote: Waiting for the navigation n00bs to jump in with their "smartphones make these obsolete" arguments.

I own one of these. Phones work fine when in coverage area. In areas where there's no coverage and/or you have no data, dedicated GPS units are worth their weight in gold.
You don't have to use Google Map. There are free navigation softwares such as Here WeGo that support free worldwide offline maps.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2008
945 posts
831 upvotes
Henry626 wrote: Because you know, data is expensive if you leave your cell/data designated area such as out of province or in USA or other countries (you can load additional maps onto sd card). Worst if you do camping /hiking/ fishing where you might not get cell signal on the way or at destination.
Data isn't that expensive. You can get a prepaid sim for trips to the US off Amazon or $8 per day isn't that big of additional expense for a weekend trip. I can't imagine traveling and not having data and it's not just for routing. Also who doesn't have out of province data? People still use Wind/Freedom Mobile?

For camping, hiking, fishing you can download offline maps.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2008
945 posts
831 upvotes
PerrierWater wrote: This is a great GPS for cross country roadtrips (and rental cars).

I got mine from costco and it has been pretty much perfect except for one thing. The unit receives traffic data from a linked smartphone so you need data for it to work unless you buy a separate 12V charger with built-in traffic receiver (IIRC around $80 on Amazon). This is great for rental cars as the GPS has a dashcam built in so it's an all-in-one package.
So at that point why not just use Google Maps? Can't imagine doing a cross country road trip without Waze (police notifications). Especially since most rental cars have Android Auto/Carplay.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32868 posts
14579 upvotes
Amowagou wrote: Never understand how this kind of standalone navigation system is better than a smartphone.
To me it seems the only people that say this stuff are the kind of people that are either:
-Teenagers/kids
-Never used a real GPS/nav compared to cellphone GPS to know the answer to this
-Never used GPS for anything other than things like simplistic A-to-B navigation and/or for in-city/in-cell coverage "navigating"

Granted I don't much like "suction cup GPS" either but to compare cellphone GPS and something like a Garmin and say some nonsense like "why do I need that, I already have a cellphone" is just pure folly.

I also think these things should be more like $100 these days, but whatever, cellphone GPS still isn't nearly the same. Been over this in a number of threads, particularly the ones with the kids going on about how AA/CP is bestest evar when it's total garbage in reality :lol: Cellphone navigating does have some advantages mind you, not saying it doesn't, but again not nearly as featured as standalone nav. It'd be possible to have a good GPS app for a phone, sure, but Google Maps and the usual suspects ain't in. Plus there's other issues from high phone temp/CPU usage and battery burn like no tomorrow, meaning plug-in is a must...among other issues using a phone as the sensor (even if it does have true GPS in it).
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2008
945 posts
831 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: To me it seems the only people that say this stuff are the kind of people that are either:
-Teenagers/kids
-Never used a real GPS/nav compared to cellphone GPS to know the answer to this
-Never used GPS for anything other than things like simplistic A-to-B navigation and/or for in-city/in-cell coverage "navigating"

Granted I don't much like "suction cup GPS" either but to compare cellphone GPS and something like a Garmin and say some nonsense like "why do I need that, I already have a cellphone" is just pure folly.

I also think these things should be more like $100 these days, but whatever, cellphone GPS still isn't nearly the same. Been over this in a number of threads, particularly the ones with the kids going on about how AA/CP is bestest evar when it's total garbage in reality :lol: Cellphone navigating does have some advantages mind you, not saying it doesn't, but again not nearly as featured as standalone nav. It'd be possible to have a good GPS app for a phone, sure, but Google Maps and the usual suspects ain't in. Plus there's other issues from high phone temp/CPU usage and battery burn like no tomorrow, meaning plug-in is a must...among other issues using a phone as the sensor (even if it does have true GPS in it).
Lol ok there.. I've driven 85k+ km with waze:
Image

I mean use whatever you want but you're kidding yourself if you think some Garmin provides more features. If you want better traffic routing, police notifications, item on road notifications, pothole notifications, etc. Waze is always an option.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 22, 2007
7562 posts
7591 upvotes
Calgary
You guys..... people that want to buy these will buy them. They have heard about cell phones and chose these things still. Don’t waste your time.
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2010
913 posts
670 upvotes
Canada
ES_Revenge wrote: To me it seems the only people that say this stuff are the kind of people that are either:
-Teenagers/kids
-Never used a real GPS/nav compared to cellphone GPS to know the answer to this
-Never used GPS for anything other than things like simplistic A-to-B navigation and/or for in-city/in-cell coverage "navigating"

Granted I don't much like "suction cup GPS" either but to compare cellphone GPS and something like a Garmin and say some nonsense like "why do I need that, I already have a cellphone" is just pure folly.

I also think these things should be more like $100 these days, but whatever, cellphone GPS still isn't nearly the same. Been over this in a number of threads, particularly the ones with the kids going on about how AA/CP is bestest evar when it's total garbage in reality :lol: Cellphone navigating does have some advantages mind you, not saying it doesn't, but again not nearly as featured as standalone nav. It'd be possible to have a good GPS app for a phone, sure, but Google Maps and the usual suspects ain't in. Plus there's other issues from high phone temp/CPU usage and battery burn like no tomorrow, meaning plug-in is a must...among other issues using a phone as the sensor (even if it does have true GPS in it).
I am sure that you have made a wise decision to use a standalone navigation device. I just want to know what features it has over smartphone navigation softwares such as Google Maps and Here WeGo?
Google Map works best online. Here WeGo works very well offline, much better than Google for sure.
Also, if you have over heating issue, perhaps it is time to upgrade your phone. After a 2 hour trip, my Huawei was barely warm with a fully charged battery.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)