• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2023 3:55 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1189 posts
225 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Garmin Edge 1030+ bundle - includes HR, Cadence and Speed Sensors

I was planning on getting the Edge Explore 2 and an HR monitor but then ran into the Garmin Edge 1030 Plus bundle for cheaper.

This bundle costs less than the price of the Garmin Edge 1030 plus head unit itself. Tack on an HR monitor and speed / cadence sensors and this is a great deal.

There are a bunch of sellers that have different prices in the $635-$650 range. I purchased mine from the Amazing Sambi market place seller for $640 taxes in.
19 replies
Apr 12, 2007
479 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Blows my mind the speed and cadence sensor + HRM Dual retail for $200. You can get generics for about $100 on amazon or even less on aliexpress.
Nov 30, 2013
356 posts
351 upvotes
NB
darkhero168 wrote: Blows my mind the speed and cadence sensor + HRM Dual retail for $200. You can get generics for about $100 on amazon or even less on aliexpress.
You get what you pay for.
I AM NOT A BOOMER, but I wish i was.
Nov 27, 2021
4 posts
2 upvotes
Misleading regular MSRP. Garmin's website shows 689.99 on sale from 999.99
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1189 posts
225 upvotes
iubiohk wrote: Misleading regular MSRP. Garmin's website shows 689.99 on sale from 999.99
That wasn't the case when I ordered last week. In addition, that's $690 plus taxes. I paid $640 taxes in.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1210 posts
1888 upvotes
daviddavieboy wrote: You get what you pay for.
Nope, this is incorrect. I have the 1030+ and it pairs fine with non-Garmin sensors and HRM, the protocols are all the same. 6 years back I had a "runtastic" brand speed and cadence sensor I bought from Staples, turns out it was exactly the same as a wahoo speed and cadence sensor, it also paired fine with the wahoo app.
Oct 16, 2006
280 posts
295 upvotes
Waterloo
I've never really understood the point of these, and this is coming from a cyclist of over 10 years and i even own one of these! It's worse than a phone in nearly everyway. Quad lock, wahoo speed and cadence and hr sensor can be had for all under $200. The phone is also wildly better than these devices.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1210 posts
1888 upvotes
Sling wrote: I've never really understood the point of these, and this is coming from a cyclist of over 10 years and i even own one of these! It's worse than a phone in nearly everyway. Quad lock, wahoo speed and cadence and hr sensor can be had for all under $200. The phone is also wildly better than these devices.
The 1030+ is the first and last Garmin bike GPS I will ever buy. It's the same as a 2012 smartphone tech. There's no competition in the bike gps space. I'm just going to ride without recording my ride on any smart device like a luddite, I don't upload to "strava" anyways.

As for your suggestion though, the main benefit of these is battery life and real tactile buttons. Other than that, instead of Wahoo you can get Magene speed, cadence and HRM for around $60 and it does the same thing.
Nov 30, 2013
356 posts
351 upvotes
NB
isgaard wrote: Nope, this is incorrect. I have the 1030+ and it pairs fine with non-Garmin sensors and HRM, the protocols are all the same. 6 years back I had a "runtastic" brand speed and cadence sensor I bought from Staples, turns out it was exactly the same as a wahoo speed and cadence sensor, it also paired fine with the wahoo app.
Most certainly you get what you pay for. I have been using these ever since they came into use 20 years ago. I have tried MANY different ones and what I end up going back to is the Garmin for durability and accuracy. I still use my old faithful hard plastic Garmin HRM because I know I can finish an event and it will still be working. The only exception would be the Wahoo devices as they MOSTLY hold up but I had a couple die as well. The runtastic my look the same but that's where it ends. My wife had 2 of them and both died while running she now has a wahoo for 3+ years mostly because if the soft strap.
Nov 30, 2013
356 posts
351 upvotes
NB
Sling wrote: I've never really understood the point of these, and this is coming from a cyclist of over 10 years and i even own one of these! It's worse than a phone in nearly everyway. Quad lock, wahoo speed and cadence and hr sensor can be had for all under $200. The phone is also wildly better than these devices.
Def agree on this. If you don't care about accuracy OR battery life OR damaging you phone that that is fine. I have seen more than a few come off a quad lock and I lost one as well while gravel riding, luckily it was a spare phone. For sure though if you have a spare phone than that is the best option as the screen is great for navigation in unfamiliar areas.
May 3, 2020
238 posts
89 upvotes
Does anyone know a deal for Power meter? Missed out on the holiday sales. Just need a left crank meter.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2004
1381 posts
312 upvotes
I'm a cyclist of only 5 years and I respectfully disagree. I don't need a huge form factor, I want battery life that can last a 10 hour riding day, and I enjoy the accurate GPS and Ant+ capabilities. While I agree this tech always feels outdated compared to the latest smartphone, I don't see a day where I won't need a separate head unit and can solely rely on my phone.

Edit:. A fitness watch is much more likely to replace my head unit than a phone. That being said i feel that all these devices are complementary to each other.
Oct 16, 2006
280 posts
295 upvotes
Waterloo
Trigger wrote: I'm a cyclist of only 5 years and I respectfully disagree. I don't need a huge form factor, I want battery life that can last a 10 hour riding day, and I enjoy the accurate GPS and Ant+ capabilities. While I agree this tech always feels outdated compared to the latest smartphone, I don't see a day where I won't need a separate head unit and can solely rely on my phone.

Edit:. A fitness watch is much more likely to replace my head unit than a phone. That being said i feel that all these devices are complementary to each other.
Battery life seems fair, especially if you're doing 10+ hours. The longest I usually do is 4 or so hours, which taps out my fitness.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4910 posts
3112 upvotes
Milton, ON.
johnsena wrote: Does anyone know a deal for Power meter? Missed out on the holiday sales. Just need a left crank meter.
Stages.
Dec 25, 2007
692 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver
isgaard wrote:
As for your suggestion though, the main benefit of these is battery life and real tactile buttons. Other than that, instead of Wahoo you can get Magene speed, cadence and HRM for around $60 and it does the same thing.
I'll vouch for the cheap magene sensors for cadence and speed. I have wahoo ones on my nice bike and aliexpress specials on the commuter and beater bikes. They work exactly the same and pair up in the app all the same.

For HRM, I think chest straps are a ton better than what you would find on a watch. My Garmin watch is ok but there are some discrepancies vs my TickrX. On the Highwood Pass (long gentle climb) - the Garmin thought my hr was ~135 vs 155 on the chest strap.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4910 posts
3112 upvotes
Milton, ON.
johnsena wrote: Ships from US, $335 USD+taxes. Guess that's the cheapest?
You can get it locally from a bike shop. Look around. You can also wait for a refurb sales from Stages or 4iii. Favro assioma also comes to mind. Get whatever is cheapest, they all work the same.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
1189 posts
225 upvotes
For power meters, I got mine from mec.ca. They run sales / clearances a few times a year, from what I’ve seen.

IRC, I got a 105 stages gen 2 for 300 CAD.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1210 posts
1888 upvotes
sneek wrote: I'll vouch for the cheap magene sensors for cadence and speed. I have wahoo ones on my nice bike and aliexpress specials on the commuter and beater bikes. They work exactly the same and pair up in the app all the same.

For HRM, I think chest straps are a ton better than what you would find on a watch. My Garmin watch is ok but there are some discrepancies vs my TickrX. On the Highwood Pass (long gentle climb) - the Garmin thought my hr was ~135 vs 155 on the chest strap.
Chest straps, while inconvenient, is always more accurate than the wrist HR sensor, for now. Personally, watches are better all in one devices than bike GPS units. Back in the pre-GPS era it was Polar s7xx series HR monitor watches on your handlebar with the Polar HR chest strap, there was no other alternative on the market. Garmin created a new market where you buy a GPS watch and you buy a GPS bike unit.

I give it another few years for the wrist HR sensor to be equal to chest straps, my Suunto and Coros wrist HR sensors are quite accurate but out of habit I still like to pair it with a chest strap from time to time.