19634 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

[Amazon.ca] Garmin Forerunner 935 Running GPS Smartwatch (Black) • $330

veni, vidi, Visa
7 replies
Jan 2, 2010
490 posts
171 upvotes
One is the base model and the other one has heart rate monitor. The price is not really comparable, right?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23839 posts
19634 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sparklo wrote: One is the base model and the other one has heart rate monitor. The price is not really comparable, right?
When I Google the part number in the Amazon listing (010-01746-00) the first result is a link to the Garmin page that shows regular price of $679.99. The Garmin page also shows that part number.

Also the Amazon listing reads:
About this item
• Premium GPS running/triathlon watch with wrist-based heart rate, Strap material - Silicone, smartphone compatibility - iPhone, android, windows
• Offers advanced running and multisport features in a comfortable watch you can wear all day, and it only weighs 49 grams
• Provides elevation changes with a built-in barometer; altimeter and electronic compass help you keep your bearings
• Evaluates your training status to indicate if you’re undertraining or overdoing it and offers additional performance monitoring features
• Provides advanced dynamics for running, cycling and swimming, including ground contact time balance, stride length and more
Could be a typo. Could also be clearance given the new Forerunner 945.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 1, 2019
461 posts
1247 upvotes
Smithers, BC
sparklo wrote: One is the base model and the other one has heart rate monitor. The price is not really comparable, right?
bylo wrote: When I Google the part number in the Amazon listing (010-01746-00) the first result is a link to the Garmin page that shows regular price of $679.99. The Garmin page also shows that part number.

Also the Amazon listing reads: Could be a typo. Could also be clearance given the new Forerunner 945.

They are both the same product. The heat rate monitor referred to in the (other) Amazon listing is an option to purchase it as a "bundle" with a chest HR strap.
Jan 29, 2021
18 posts
12 upvotes
Peterborough
The price reflects the fact that it is 4.5 years old (bought mine in April 2017 when they came out for ~500 USD), but it is still a very good watch, perhaps overkill for those who are not triathletes and don't need performance metrics. I still love mine (the standard wrist-based heart rate works fine, but I added a chest strap) and will keep it till it dies (as I did with my first two Garmins, the 201and the 305), but if I were buying now and not needing the barometric altimiter for hiking (or stair climbing!) I would be tempted to get the 245 for the music storage. Or, on the other end of the scale, to keep everything the 935 has and add more hiking, performance and health features, along with contactless payments, I'd suggest comparing with the 945 (which is unlikely to be heavily discounted anytime soon, alas)...
Feb 18, 2014
661 posts
1350 upvotes
The one OP listed from the Garmin site for $679.99 comes with the Triathlon bundle:
Tri-bundle

Forerunner 935 GPS watch
1 extra set bands (black)
HRM-Tri™ monitor
HRM-Swim™ monitor
Quick release kit
Charging cable
Manuals
The same one is listed as $879.99 on OP's Amazon link when you choose the 'bundle' option.

All watches come with a wrist-based heart rate monitor. The 'Running GPS + Heart Rate Monitor' option on the Amazon site for $509.98 comes with a separate chest strap heart rate monitor (which is more accurate than wrist-based monitors)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23839 posts
19634 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bilzebubba wrote: if I were buying now and not needing the barometric altimiter for hiking (or stair climbing!) I would be tempted to get the 245 for the music storage.
For hiking (ABC) but no music storage there's the Garmin Instinct. Currently selling for $210 at Amazon but often goes down to $200.

See [Amazon.ca] Garmin Instinct smartwatch • $199 FS for specs, videos, discussion, etc.

One more tip: MEC price matches Amazon. So for the same price you can get a Garmin today with MEC's Rocksolid warranty (vs. Amazon's 30 days.) MEC doesn't list the 935. That's yet another indication that it's on clearance at Amazon. But other Garmin watches like the Instinct can be PM'd.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 22, 2014
633 posts
268 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I've had this watch now for a few years. It's been great and replaced my 225 prior. The only thing I wish this had which is on the 945 is the music part. If it had music I could leave my phone finally at home