Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca Black Friday

Garmin Instinct • $175 (Solar • $359 • Outdoor Smartwatch with GPS, HR, ABC, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2021 4:09 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

[Amazon.ca] [Black Friday] Garmin Instinct • $175 (Solar • $359 • Outdoor Smartwatch with GPS, HR, ABC, etc.

Garmin Instinct, Rugged Outdoor Watch with GPS, Features GLONASS and Galileo, Heart Rate Monitoring and 3-axis Compass, Altitude, Barometer, etc.

You should also be able to PM, e.g. at MEC, and get their better Rocksolid warranty at no extra cost.

While this watch doesn't have all the features of something like Fenix, it's a great watch for activities like hiking, walking, cycling as long as you don't need Fenix-like functionality. As far as I can tell there's nothing similar at this price point, especially if you need ABC functions like altimeter.

Battery life is 14 days without GPS and 16 hours with. That's also better than the vast majority of other smartwatches, even those that cost several times as much.

If you need even longer battery life the Solar version of this watch is also on sale for $359 at Amazon Garmin Solar-Powered Rugged Outdoor Smartwatch and MEC Garmin Instinct Solar.

Also if you have a practical way to buy in the US, amazon.com sells the Solar for US$250 ~CA$315 Garmin Instinct Solar, Rugged Outdoor Smartwatch with Solar Charging Capabilities, Built-in Sports Apps and Health Monitoring, Graphite

Some supplementary YouTube videos and related info:

Garmin Instinct Owner's Manual

Garmin Connect app

Health Sync – Apps on Google Play "Sync your health data from Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Health Mate (Withings), InBody, Oura, Polar, Samsung Health, Suunto and Huawei Health..."

Garmin Instinct Series YouTube Playlist

Garmin Instinct Forum

Garmin Instinct GPS Watch In-Depth Review

Instinct symbols/icons:
Last edited by bylo on Nov 25th, 2021 8:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Anyone know if it will take nato watch straps? Or any watchband replacements?
The Instinct takes standard Fenix et al 22mm QuickFit watch bands. QuickFit is proprietary to Garmin. It allows bands to be changed without tools. There are dozens of third-party bands available on Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. See e.g. garmin instinct band
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 25, 2013
169 posts
253 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Really wished this watch included a stopwatch and timer feature. Which watch band is the most breathable and durable/longest lasting?
Have this watch. It does include a stopwatch.
Sep 30, 2018
229 posts
132 upvotes
the usual question would be, is it going to be cheaper for BF? its historically lowest price according to Keepa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Which watch band is the most breathable and durable/longest lasting?
I've had this one for almost a year now. It's quite adjustable, flexible, secure, etc. It shows little signs of wear. I'm happy.

Metal Band For Garmin - MILANESE Loop Straps Quick Release Stainless Steel Bracelet|Smart Accessories| - AliExpress

The photos in the link also show the QuickFit attachment system. FWIW one of the screws in the coupling came loose and fell out soon after I got the band. It's tiny so I couldn't find it. Without that screw the coupling won't stay on. I was able to scrounge a similar screw from an old watch and salvage the band. I've also put a thin layer of rubber cement over all four screws to prevent this from happening again.

veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
stutunaru wrote: the usual question would be, is it going to be cheaper for BF? its historically lowest price according to Keepa
I doubt anyone here can answer that. However with Amazon you have 30 days to return if the price drops. And if you PM at MEC you get both price protection and a Rocksolid guarantee.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 30, 2018
229 posts
132 upvotes
bylo wrote: I doubt anyone here can answer that. However with Amazon you have 30 days to return if the price drops. And if you PM at MEC you get both price protection and a Rocksolid guarantee.
MEC already has it at same price.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
stutunaru wrote: MEC already has it at same price.
Thanks. I've updated the OP. Also at MEC the price is good to 26Dec21.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 30, 2018
229 posts
132 upvotes
bylo wrote: Thanks. I've updated the OP. Also at MEC the price is good to 26Dec21.
Sportchek and BestBuy joined the party as well.
wondering if this can be used with a discount code at Sportchek.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
stutunaru wrote: Sportchek and BestBuy joined the party as well.
wondering if this can be used with a discount code at Sportchek.
Thanks again. I've updated the OP. Even Garmin themselves have the Solar on sale: Instinct® Solar – Standard Edition.

It's interesting that the others haven't updated their prices on the original non-Solar Instinct to match Amazon. I suppose you can still PM that price, at least at MEC and BB.

As for Sport Check et al discount codes, try and see. I can confirm that Garmin won't accept their usual 20% off coupons on sale items.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 30, 2018
229 posts
132 upvotes
So out of these few retailers which one you think is best to go with? I have never had to deal with MEC warranty so not sure what's the difference with other retailers.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
stutunaru wrote: So out of these few retailers which one you think is best to go with? I have never had to deal with MEC warranty so not sure what's the difference with other retailers.
I bought my non-solar Instinct at MEC (PM'd against Amazon) for the better warranty. Amazon's is just 30 days. Fortunately I haven't needed to test that warranty with this item. But I've been a member of MEC for decades and have relied on their warranty in the past. It's been excellent--even better than I would expect. Of course all that experience is based on when they were still a co-op. I haven't tested them on that since they got bought out.

As for the other retailers, some reasons why someone might prefer one over another:
1. they have a store credit they want to use
2. they have a gift card they want to use
3. they have some other discount they can use, e.g. employee
4. there's a physical store close to them
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6905 posts
5592 upvotes
I bought solar one from BB using the $20 off $50 offer from amex
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1223 posts
762 upvotes
REALLY good watch, used it for ~ 2 years before I upgraded to Fenix 6 pro, but really enjoyed the Instinct and wouldn't have upgraded if not for the big BB sale on Fenix 6 pro.

The black and white screen did not bother me nearly as much as I thought, and for 1 thing it is actually easy to read in any condition day or night. The watch is very comfortable, battery life lasts forever, and if you are used to the garmin ecosystem you know how it easily is the best brand for anyone serious in activity tracking.

I've since passed down the Instinct to my wife who said she wanted to give it a try and see if she can get by without a touchscreen. Surprisingly she got used to the buttons within 2 days. For like $180 it is a no-brainer imo.
Sep 30, 2018
229 posts
132 upvotes
Pulled the trigger on Solar model from MEC. 30 days price adjustment guarantee, hopefully won't be disappointed.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
stutunaru wrote: the usual question would be, is it going to be cheaper for BF? its historically lowest price according to Keepa
This year, Black Friday won't be a single day, vs a staggered approach between retailers, given supply chain and delivery issues.
Jul 24, 2006
118 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks, OP. Does anyone know the accuracy of sleep tracking for the Garmin instant and solar? I'm suffering from insomnia and want to get a better picture of it. I'll also use it for hiking, running, and gym so if you have some insights of it, I'm all ears. According to the YouTuber, the quantified scientist, Fitbit is most accurate, and he didn't test the instinct/solar, unfortunately. I hesitate to get the Fitbit sense or verse 3 cause of the reliability and the uncertainties what google will do with it. It is very likely they will launch their own pixel watch or sth and potentially stop supporting Fitbit.