Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] GEEKOTO Tripod 200cm, Camera Tripod for DSLR, Compact Aluminum Tripod with 360 Degree Ball Head and 8kgs Load for Travel

[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] GEEKOTO Tripod 200cm, Camera Tripod for DSLR, Compact Aluminum Tripod with 360 Degree Ball Head and 8kgs Load for Travel

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N67 ... UTF8&psc=1

An aluminum tripod that gets good reviews. I look at a few youtube reviews and 100% of them were quite positive. Very tall at 200cm. Can reverse for macro shots. Can convert to unipod. Ball head included.

All time low right now, as per Camelx3. I ordered it with some other things, but pretty sure no GST on the tripod.





Here is the review of the Carbon Fiber vision. Seems to be able to handle a DSLR with the Tamron 150-600mm (a heavy lens) no problem. I ordered the aluminum version, but hoping for the same.


【Warranty description】24-Month Guarantee: We offer professional after-sales service, If you are not satisfied with our product, just feel free to contact us for a solution. We are always here for you and provide you with a satisfactory solution. If the product doesn’t meet your expectation, you could return it to Amazon and get your money back from Amazon.
【Quick Setup】4-section column legs and 2-section central tube with quick release flip-locks allow you to adjust the working height from 60cm to 200cm within seconds. with the ball head attached, 1.53kg tripod weight and 8kg maximum load weight. The storage length is 48cm, for ease of mobility, An adjustable shoulder bag included allows you to take it to anywhere there are photo opportunities, ideal for travel and outdoor photographers.
【360°Panorama Ball-head】 36mm metal ball head can rotate 360°, oil-free damping design makes operation smoother and quicker for getting perfect shots at any angle. The bubble level helps to find the balance of compact tripod and the accurate 360°scale realizes precise image alignment and makes doing panoramic photography easier.
【Monopod function】This tripod can be quickly disassembled with the central axis screw and transformed into a monopod (54cm to 205cm adjustable length), to satisfied different shooting idea,Can also be used as a trekking pole.
【Multi-angle shooting】The inverted installation of center column realizes super low shots and great macro control to make your photography more diverse.an included mini column can replace the original center column for the extremely low height of 20cm for lower angle and wider view.
Last edited by CCHIPSS on Dec 9th, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
35 replies
Member
Mar 20, 2017
256 posts
389 upvotes
Buy now think later lol, won't have a camera until next trip but at least I'll have a tripod.
Newbie
May 24, 2020
24 posts
11 upvotes
EverydayCloudy wrote: Buy now think later lol, won't have a camera until next trip but at least I'll have a tripod.
Incentivizing yourself to get a camera. That's all.
Sr. Member
Mar 28, 2009
626 posts
257 upvotes
Ottawa
I have one of these (about 2 years now), I hang it off the side of my Lowepro 450aw for shooting around the city and it works great. It's not a travel tripod but it's compact enough to carry all day and has nice height extension. It's not super sturdy but it's good enough to take 10-30sec long exposures at night. I've only had trouble in windy days with a big lens. When I'm travelling I use my smaller Manfrotto BeFree.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5562 posts
1092 upvotes
The issue with all these tripod review is that there's not enough testing how well they actually perform at suboptimal conditions. Not saying the 2 reviews being posted are irrelevant, but their sub count is low and they could be just gear whores.

If you're shooting indoors with no wind and not taking long exposures, most cheaper tripods are good enough. Once you raise that middle column, all bets are off. I also find that a lot of times, most companies are putting a lot of features in, but do not actually increase in quality. I've been shopping for a long time for a travel tripod, but hitting most of my criteria while keeping budget low is quite hard.

Mind you, this is a $70 tripod, so price is good.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 21, 2010
4961 posts
4049 upvotes
Edmonton
I have tried about 5 or 6 of these random brand tripods. I like them for the price. They are a little bit cheaper feeling than Mefoto quality.

The OP amazon link shows clasps on the legs which I prefer over the twist locks on most of these. Twist locks take longer to set up and if you ever get sand in the pipes its a huge pain. Clasps are far quicker but easier to break if you over tighten them.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: The issue with all these tripod review is that there's not enough testing how well they actually perform at suboptimal conditions. Not saying the 2 reviews being posted are irrelevant, but their sub count is low and they could be just gear whores.

If you're shooting indoors with no wind and not taking long exposures, most cheaper tripods are good enough. Once you raise that middle column, all bets are off. I also find that a lot of times, most companies are putting a lot of features in, but do not actually increase in quality. I've been shopping for a long time for a travel tripod, but hitting most of my criteria while keeping budget low is quite hard.

Mind you, this is a $70 tripod, so price is good.
You can hang your camera bag on it for extra weight. When it gets really windy, any tripod will vibrate. The trick is actually to put your hand on the top of the lens/lenshood and press/hold it downwards.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Member
Dec 9, 2001
336 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville (Greater To…
How is this as a video tripod? I know very little about tripods and the expertise of you guys here would be appreciated.

I generally shoot videos indoors, and need a smooth panning head. Height movement or angle would be less important after I have done the initial shooting setup. Would this be worth the money, or should I go for a cheaper one (or a more expensive one)?
Member
Jul 16, 2008
345 posts
109 upvotes
ON
I am looking for a tripod with a center column that can do a 90 degree.

Any recommendations?
Newbie
Jul 27, 2013
39 posts
31 upvotes
Vaughan
Quant wrote: How is this as a video tripod? I know very little about tripods and the expertise of you guys here would be appreciated.

I generally shoot videos indoors, and need a smooth panning head. Height movement or angle would be less important after I have done the initial shooting setup. Would this be worth the money, or should I go for a cheaper one (or a more expensive one)?
Unless you plan to only shoot stationary shots or have another video head not recommended. It's a ball head so you won't be able to pan or tilt smoothly since once the ballhead is unlocked it'll flop everywhere.
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2004
801 posts
432 upvotes
Quant wrote: How is this as a video tripod? I know very little about tripods and the expertise of you guys here would be appreciated.

I generally shoot videos indoors, and need a smooth panning head. Height movement or angle would be less important after I have done the initial shooting setup. Would this be worth the money, or should I go for a cheaper one (or a more expensive one)?
You would want a tripod with a handle and fluid head for those smooth panning shots. You can find video specific tripods for around the same price.
Member
Feb 2, 2015
453 posts
674 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Agree with the above comments.. this tripod is not exactly designed for video but can work for some basic shots. The bigger knob on the side of the orange metal .. that allows for some panning or panorama shots etc.

One good option for video is a fluid-head tripod. There's a pretty cheap fluid head that should adapt to the top of this tripod legs, as the tripod head is removable and shares a standard screw mount.

https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Cameras-Ca ... ics&sr=1-5
Last edited by ajdeals on Dec 9th, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes
Quant wrote: How is this as a video tripod? I know very little about tripods and the expertise of you guys here would be appreciated.

I generally shoot videos indoors, and need a smooth panning head. Height movement or angle would be less important after I have done the initial shooting setup. Would this be worth the money, or should I go for a cheaper one (or a more expensive one)?
The original ball head seems to be fine for video panning side to side, as per this youtube video I watched earlier. His conclusion is to get this Geekoto for the base (much cheaper than a Manfrotto base), and then change the ball head to a better Manfrotto Xpro fluid head, used on the same Geekoto tripod base. But the original included ball head might fill your need for side to side video. The Manfrotto ball head shrines when you need to aim up and down smoothly.

Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Member
Dec 9, 2001
336 posts
75 upvotes
Oakville (Greater To…
Thanks everyone. I understand what a ball head is all about now.
Considering the price and the sale, I might order this one, and see how well the ball head works for side to side motion.

The Neewer fluid head could be a good add-on for later. I also see an inexpensive Manfrotto CompactAction tripod on Amazon; that could be a good one for me, though it is regular price. https://www.amazon.ca/Manfrotto-MKCOMPA ... 00L6F16L0/
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes
Quant wrote: Thanks everyone. I understand what a ball head is all about now.
Considering the price and the sale, I might order this one, and see how well the ball head works for side to side motion.

The Neewer fluid head could be a good add-on for later. I also see an inexpensive Manfrotto CompactAction tripod on Amazon; that could be a good one for me, though it is regular price. https://www.amazon.ca/Manfrotto-MKCOMPA ... 00L6F16L0/
The 3.3 pounds payload of that Manfrotto tripod is only 1.5kg, which is quite small and limiting. The Tamron 150-600 lens for example weights 2 kg by itself. Body will be another 500g. You might also want to hang a camera bag at the bottom to stablize it. IMO 1.5KG payload on the legs is not nearly enough.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Newbie
Apr 20, 2019
11 posts
4 upvotes
A year ago the company was giving these out for free to "influencers" on Instagram.
I know some people who were able to 2-3 of them.
IG search a profile name Geekoto Charlotte she was the correspondent who was essentially making you buy them off amazon then sending you the funds back for the amount via Paypal and also to leave a good review and do like a story post on it.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2009
510 posts
80 upvotes
Thank you OP, I got this for $85 last week. Going to order and do a return
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 23, 2005
616 posts
200 upvotes
why i have a gut feeling that this is copying features from major brands?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2016
1555 posts
1367 upvotes
LEVELFA wrote: A year ago the company was giving these out for free to "influencers" on Instagram.
I know some people who were able to 2-3 of them.
IG search a profile name Geekoto Charlotte she was the correspondent who was essentially making you buy them off amazon then sending you the funds back for the amount via Paypal and also to leave a good review and do like a story post on it.
Well every company gives samples to people for review. Video cards, camera lens, cars, etc. For example they would freely lend $2000+ lens to professionals on their 1 month+ long trip to Africa, so they can test and review them. Or they will freely lend $40000+ cars for their off road driving trip. Relatively giving away tripod is pretty small scale IMO.
Best shopping deals I got from here:
Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom $300, ZTE Blade V8 Pro $175, Fluld 55' 4k TV $360
Member
User avatar
Mar 4, 2006
434 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
How would this compare to Neewer tripod? Claims to have a higher payload but design is slightly different with twist lock rather than latches.

Top