Get $12 Amazon Credit for Backing Up Your Photos [YMMV]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2021 9:42 pm
[OP]
Sep 18, 2020
143 posts
319 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Get $12 Amazon Credit for Backing Up Your Photos [YMMV]

1. Download the app (Windows/iOS/Android)
2. Turn on Auto-save to automatically back up photos
3. Within 7 days, you'll receive an email with the $12 Amazon credit.

4. (Optional) Disable auto-save if you don't care to use it

*Terms to note*
  • YMMV: only for those who actually received this email
  • Offer applies on orders $30 or more, sold by Amazon.ca
  • Not available to trial members
43 replies
Oct 1, 2020
430 posts
651 upvotes
out of all the mega corps, I feel the least need to give my photos to bald head space cowboy wannabe man child sore loser
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1791 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
I love the Amazon Photos backup. True unlimited and you can add family members for them to upload unlimited,

I wish their paid upgraded video storage was sharable though.
Mar 29, 2010
17 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Seems they want everyone to upload all their personal photos to their cloud to help them analyze the data and sell it again. No thanks. I’ll keep it in physical backup or my own local network.
Oct 17, 2018
50 posts
483 upvotes
if we delete the pics after uploading, will they be deleted forever or will it be stored in some cloud storage?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21428 posts
25798 upvotes
EmpressLisaSu wrote: out of all the mega corps, I feel the least need to give my photos to bald head space cowboy wannabe man child sore loser
I agree, but I find Bezos and Musk both hilarious, amusing, and strangely motivating.

I don't do cloud picture backup, unless it's inventory pictures for work.

I also don't take many pictures generally.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10825 posts
3034 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
puthiawan wrote: Seems they want everyone to upload all their personal photos to their cloud to help them analyze the data and sell it again. No thanks. I’ll keep it in physical backup or my own local network.
Yup. When trying to train their AI, they need data inputs. The more the better. They might have to pay to acquire so much data or they can ask people to just give them them all of their data for free and convince them they are doing them the favour.

Google and Facebook do the same. No reason to expect Amazon to be different.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Sep 18, 2020
143 posts
319 upvotes
I'm surprised this wasn't as popular as I expected. People have issues with Amazon having their data, but isn't this also how Rakuten and other cashback services make money? Don't they use your spending history and habits to create a profile of you as a spender to improve targeted ads?

I don't mean this to be a criticism for those who choose not to partake in this deal. To each their own. I just have never understood people's desire to protect this kind of data when a lot of services we often use probably already do so.
Jun 18, 2017
546 posts
365 upvotes
I backed up all my photos to a USB drive. Took a picture of a tree. Activated the service, uploaded the tree, got credit next day. Spent the credit, got my package and disabled auto upload and deleted app.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
2192 posts
1660 upvotes
condo
Homer001 wrote: I backed up all my photos to a USB drive. Took a picture of a tree. Activated the service, uploaded the tree, got credit next day. Spent the credit, got my package and disabled auto upload and deleted app.
Was thinking the same thing, haha! They don't specify how many photos and which device etc
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
1518 posts
588 upvotes
YYC
Just wondering with cloud photo backup.. Can Amazon, google etc have access to your pictures and can view them anytime or it’s complete privacy?
Oct 18, 2017
378 posts
726 upvotes
New Brunswick
Homer001 wrote: I backed up all my photos to a USB drive. Took a picture of a tree. Activated the service, uploaded the tree, got credit next day. Spent the credit, got my package and disabled auto upload and deleted app.
Was it a nice tree?
Jun 18, 2017
546 posts
365 upvotes
tmonies wrote: Was thinking the same thing, haha! They don't specify how many photos and which device etc
My email said atleast 1. So I have them one. Haha
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2819 posts
2578 upvotes
Whitby
Bye bye privacy. Trusting Amazon with your personal photos.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2011
2415 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
So they're straight up paying people for their data? not even hiding it anymore eh...

Do yourself a favor, buy a couple external drives. or even better create your own nas, setup a vpn and boom you have your own cloud.
May 8, 2017
63 posts
25 upvotes
JustinK29893 wrote: I'm surprised this wasn't as popular as I expected. People have issues with Amazon having their data, but isn't this also how Rakuten and other cashback services make money? Don't they use your spending history and habits to create a profile of you as a spender to improve targeted ads?

I don't mean this to be a criticism for those who choose not to partake in this deal. To each their own. I just have never understood people's desire to protect this kind of data when a lot of services we often use probably already do so.
Assumptions based on preconceived notions (to indeterminate degree of accuracy). Privacy and big tech hate is all the rage now.

Realistically cloud is reliable and accessible since Amazon is probably not going anywhere, but if you don't want your photos to be online so be it. Yes there is hypocrisy as you've pointed out, nothing new though as reputation preceeds itself.

If I get such email, I'd just upload something lying around for convenience since I'm not paying for lots of storage.
Apr 1, 2013
830 posts
1260 upvotes
Fredericton
nuwan32 wrote: So they're straight up paying people for their data? not even hiding it anymore eh...

Do yourself a favor, buy a couple external drives. or even better create your own nas, setup a vpn and boom you have your own cloud.
The average person doesn't have time to do that.

And it's not going to be redundant. If your house burns down you've lost all your pictures.

I work in IT. I'm an AWS cloud architect. I run a NAS with a VPN. I still use Amazon Photos.
May 9, 2020
129 posts
386 upvotes
If I create a dummy profile on my computer with the only pictures being Evil Bezos memes, I would still get the $12 no?
Apr 8, 2021
106 posts
70 upvotes
Montreal
PurpleRecess wrote: if we delete the pics after uploading, will they be deleted forever or will it be stored in some cloud storage?
When files are deleted, they are deleted* forever.

* deleted is defined as “unattributed to your public profile”. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
'2003