Shopping Discussion

Amazon.ca gift card. What’s the cheapest way to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 10:20 pm
[OP]
May 23, 2020
53 posts
43 upvotes

Amazon.ca gift card. What’s the cheapest way to buy?

Somehow I thought Rakuten offers Amazon.ca gift card a discount, but they don’t. What’s the best way to buy Amazon gift card to maximize discount+rewards?
EQ Bank, Amex Simply Cash, Tangerine, Zoomer
20 replies
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
228 posts
235 upvotes
Montreal
RFD BST
I'm a customer at Public Mobile and VoIP.ms!
[OP]
May 23, 2020
53 posts
43 upvotes
danmartin471 wrote: RFD BST
You know I have never bought anything from another user on RFD because I’m on the west coast. I will give it a try!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21029 posts
14972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bubbleT wrote: Somehow I thought Rakuten offers Amazon.ca gift card a discount, but they don’t. What’s the best way to buy Amazon gift card to maximize discount+rewards?
Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard pays as much as 2.5% at amazon.ca [but check that GCs qualify.]
Brim Mastercard pays 2% (basic) to 4% (WE) at amazon.ca [I can confirm this does include GCs.]

Edit to correct Brim's percentages.
Last edited by bylo on Jul 4th, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
May 23, 2020
53 posts
43 upvotes
bylo wrote: Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard pays as much as 2.5% at amazon.ca [but check that GCs qualify.]
Brim Mastercard pays 1% (basic) to 2% (WE) at amazon.ca [I can confirm this does include GCs.]
The new Amazon.ca Rewards CC seems to have a pretty bad rep on RFD. Any reason for that?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21029 posts
14972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I haven't followed the Amazon MC thread. The Brim card works well for me, in particular due to the 0% FX vig and 1% cash back on everything.

P.S. I made an error in my previous post. Brim is actually 2x points on Amazon purchases, so 2% (basic) to 4% (WE).
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
May 23, 2020
53 posts
43 upvotes
bylo wrote: I haven't followed the Amazon MC thread. The Brim card works well for me, in particular due to the 0% FX vig and 1% cash back on everything.

P.S. I made an error in my previous post. Brim is actually 2x points on Amazon purchases, so 2% (basic) to 4% (WE).
I’m on Brims website. Is 4% Amazon for WE mentioned somewhere?
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12046 posts
15237 upvotes
If you have a credit card that pay 4% on groceries, go to a supermarket that sell Amazon gift cards and buy one.

I have the CIBC Dividend Visa card that pays 4% on groceries and that include gift cards bought at grocery stores.
Have a nice day!

Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21029 posts
14972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bubbleT wrote: I’m on Brims website. Is 4% Amazon for WE mentioned somewhere?
https://brimfinancial.com/amazon

I provided screenshot proof of getting 4x points on a $25 GC purchase on the RFD Brim thread.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5681 posts
5075 upvotes
danmartin471 wrote: RFD BST
bubbleT wrote: You know I have never bought anything from another user on RFD because I’m on the west coast. I will give it a try!
Just be careful.

There have been a whole bunch of compromised RFD accounts recently, with what looks like great BST feedback, specifically scamming people through gift card sales.

Never go first unless you are willing to risk getting nothing
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2015
1330 posts
1207 upvotes
Get a good AMEX and buy at a grocery that accept AMEX, e.g Safeway, Save on Foods...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15037 posts
12137 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Follow the RFD HOT DEALS MegaThread on Gift Card Promos
various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 0-2344941/

It will tell you who is selling GCs at a Discount or Offering Loyalty Program Points / Miles

STACK these with whatever CC gives you even more Cash Back or Loyalty Perks

Lots of folks on RFD “play this game” for buying GCs ... buying them ONLY when they are on promo

Best way to maximize returns

NOTE - GC Security ... buy GCs that are sold from behind counters
Or best to buy ones that are well sealed (no chance of tampering)
Smaller denominations you can use in one go (vs carrying a balance on an activated / partially used card)
Specifically for Amazon, iTunes etc ... load the new GCs ASAP to your online account where the funds will be most secure vs leaving them on a GC (example iTunes get 4 x $ 25 cards in a pkg from Costco on a discount promo ... rather than loading $ 25 on 4 separate dates in the future, load all 4 ASAP after purchase )
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2060 upvotes
Canadia
bylo wrote: Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard pays as much as 2.5% at amazon.ca [but check that GCs qualify.]
Brim Mastercard pays 2% (basic) to 4% (WE) at amazon.ca [I can confirm this does include GCs.]

Edit to correct Brim's percentages.
The Brim card has a $199 annual fee. They're basically paying you with one hand and taking it back with the other because you have to spend $9950 on the card each year just to break even.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21029 posts
14972 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
retrothing wrote: The Brim card has a $199 annual fee.
Try again. It's currently FYF.
veni, vidi, Visa