Amazon.ca

GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite AM4 ATX Motherboard - $129

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1382 posts
2094 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] GIGABYTE B550 AORUS Elite AM4 ATX Motherboard - $129

Nothing fancy, a basic B550 motherboard. No USB-C or Wifi, but it's also $129. regularly $188. Looks like this is V1.

Supports 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Processors
Dual channel non-ECC unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs
True 12+2 Phases Digital VRM Solution with 50A DrMOS
Advanced thermal design with enlarged surface heatsinks
Ultra-durable PCIe 4. 0 x16 slot
Dual ultra-fast NVMe PCIe 4. 0/3. 0 x4 M. 2 with thermal guard
AMP-UP audio with ALC1200 and WIMA capacitors
Blazing fast 2.5GbE LAN with bandwidth management
Rear DisplayPort & HDMI support
RGB fusion 2.0 with multi-zone addressable LED light show design

Seems like a decent mobo for those Ryzen 5 5600x builds..
Thread Summary
Not the specs you need? Take a look at RFD Reviews' roundup of the best motherboards for gaming!
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5508 posts
3035 upvotes
West Vancouver
Good deal.
Mar 27, 2021
47 posts
90 upvotes
How does this compare to the Aurus Pro-P? It looks like it also goes on sale for around the same price on amazon.
Aug 14, 2019
418 posts
525 upvotes
Why so many MBs on sale in the last 2 weeks? is there a new generation of MBs coming out soon or what?
Jun 16, 2019
197 posts
417 upvotes
Annoying that this post got more attention when this is a much better mobo for less price.
ProfProcyon wrote: Why so many MBs on sale in the last 2 weeks? is there a new generation of MBs coming out soon or what?
Not sure, might be related to AMD's V-Cache technology which will help compete with Intel's new Alder Lake CPUs
I'm fairly certain that this mobo went on sale in particular to pricematch Canada Computers because CC put this specific mobo on clearance since there is an Elite V2 model now which slightly changes the VRMs and adds USB-C.
As for the other mobos on sale you mentioned, the Gaming X isn't much of a good sale. Asrock Phantom 4 /ac is a good sale though especially with the $40 MIR.
No surprise that this Aorus Elite deal is dead though, it was hot for sure

Edit: Oh, not dead. Just under find it under other sellers and choose sold by Amazon.
Super hot deal for a great mobo at this price if you don't need USB-C and onboard wifi/BT
Jun 16, 2019
197 posts
417 upvotes
BaleDt wrote: How does this compare to the Aurus Pro-P? It looks like it also goes on sale for around the same price on amazon.
I'd rather get the Elite. Elite has slightly better onboard audio, 2.5Gbps LAN chip if that matters to you, and the benefits of full ATX vs Aorus P being microATX. Less options of microATX cases, unless you don't mind the look of a microATX mobo inside an ATX case.
Also the Elite is cheaper right now but even if they were the same price I'd take the Elite over it any day of the week
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2005
1031 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Michnig wrote: I'd rather get the Elite. Elite has slightly better onboard audio, 2.5Gbps LAN chip if that matters to you, and the benefits of full ATX vs Aorus P being microATX. Less options of microATX cases, unless you don't mind the look of a microATX mobo inside an ATX case.
Also the Elite is cheaper right now but even if they were the same price I'd take the Elite over it any day of the week
Thanks for the responses. It's weired Amazon is highlighting a 3rd party seller vs their own at lower price.

How important is the USB-C as a means of future proofing?
I don't over clock but the ltt vrm tier thread place this mobo higher tier than the other boards mentioned.
Jun 16, 2019
197 posts
417 upvotes
iverson wrote: Thanks for the responses. It's weired Amazon is highlighting a 3rd party seller vs their own at lower price.

How important is the USB-C as a means of future proofing?
I don't over clock but the ltt vrm tier thread place this mobo higher tier than the other boards mentioned.
3rd party seller highlight is because Amazon is out of stock and its slated for a later delivery date
I wouldn't worry too much about the VRMs on a 5600x as it's more of a mid tier CPU. Especially since you aren't overclocking. The $30 or so price delta between this and the Phantom 4 AC (there's also a non-AC model) gets you a better LAN chip for 2.5GbE, Bios flashback, and a better Realtek audio codec, but you lose out on the onboard wifi/bt. 2.5GbE is worth considering because unlike 5GbE and 10GbE, 2.5GbE works on the already very commonplace Cat5e standard, meaning whenever you get 2500 Mbps Fiber speeds in your area you're set. Whether or not you need this type of speed is a diff debate. Onboard audio is a non-factor if you have a separate amp/dac anyways
As I mentioned in the other reply to you, BIOS Flashback is a very neat feature to have.

One more thing that a lot of people skip over is the internal USB 2.0 headers. Aorus Elite has 4, Phantom has 2. Most motherboards I've worked with only have 2. In my case I got an NZXT H700i case with the smart device, and an NZXT Kraken AIO, that's 2 internal USB2 already and you still need to plug in the USB 2.0 at the front of the case. This forced me to have to buy an internal USB hub.

Regarding USB-C, I'd suggest you look elsewhere for this information because I personally have never needed to use any USB-C cables that weren't USBA to USBC. I think for VR it's nice to have a front USB C port to connect your VR headset to your PC, but I'm not sure if you could just use a converter/dongle of some sort. I don't own VR (yet LOL).
I do know that we're on an end of life cycle with Zen 4 requiring all new motherboards. So you could always get a mobo with USB C when we move to DDR5 RAM and whatnot. For now I don't see widespread USB-C adopted. Even NZXT's H510 cases come with a plastic cover on the motherboard end of their front panel USB C because they know not a lot of mobos have USB C internal headers yet.

I probably overexplained what you asked but for a $30 delta I'd gladly take this Elite over the Phantom AC if you're using Ethernet for gaming anyways (don't use Wifi if you're tryna game!). However we can't scoff at a $100 decent mobo that is the Asrock Phantom assuming your MIR goes through.
Nov 17, 2019
808 posts
2001 upvotes
Michnig wrote: Annoying that this post got more attention when this is a much better mobo for less price.

Not sure, might be related to AMD's V-Cache technology which will help compete with Intel's new Alder Lake CPUs
I'm fairly certain that this mobo went on sale in particular to pricematch Canada Computers because CC put this specific mobo on clearance since there is an Elite V2 model now which slightly changes the VRMs and adds USB-C.
As for the other mobos on sale you mentioned, the Gaming X isn't much of a good sale. Asrock Phantom 4 /ac is a good sale though especially with the $40 MIR.
No surprise that this Aorus Elite deal is dead though, it was hot for sure

Edit: Oh, not dead. Just under find it under other sellers and choose sold by Amazon.
Super hot deal for a great mobo at this price if you don't need USB-C and onboard wifi/BT
The top comment in the thread is :
"x570 chipset > B550 chipset"

I think you expect too much of the RFD community. Most people (including myself) are just casuals.
Oct 1, 2009
26 posts
ProfProcyon wrote: Why so many MBs on sale in the last 2 weeks? is there a new generation of MBs coming out soon or what?
Intel 12th generation is coming out soon (this year), while AMD's next generation CPUs comes in 2022.
New CPUs means new motherboards.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6305 posts
2807 upvotes
Debtario
This or the MSI Tomahawk (when on sale) to pair with a 5600?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1133 posts
861 upvotes
quantman wrote: The top comment in the thread is :
"x570 chipset > B550 chipset"

I think you expect too much of the RFD community. Most people (including myself) are just casuals.
I intentionally bought a B550 board over an x570 board because of the passive chipset cooling and improved VRM for the same price. I don't need more than one PCIe 4.0 m.2 or dual GPU support.

P.S. I don't think the V-Cache CPUs will need a new chipset.
Jul 27, 2014
785 posts
602 upvotes
Montreal, QC
deal dead
nvm
Last edited by fearex on Aug 9th, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2005
1031 posts
514 upvotes
Toronto, ON
M1K3Z0R wrote: This or the MSI Tomahawk (when on sale) to pair with a 5600?
MSI Tomahawk is rated better for vrm than this board. Can you get it for $140? Or seen it on sale before?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1274 posts
1097 upvotes
Moncton
fearex wrote: deal dead
No it's not. You need to click through the "other options" in order to get the amazon seller pricing.

As far as this board goes.... decent enough deal, but if the tomahawk is a similar price I'd be inclined to go with that. I've got a B550 Tomahawk, and a higher end Gigabyte X470, and consider MSI's bios implementation a significant improvement over Gigabyte's UI.

This is a much better board than the X570 that was posted last week for a similar price.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Jul 27, 2014
785 posts
602 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sswilson wrote: No it's not. You need to click through the "other options" in order to get the amazon seller pricing.
woops, my bad
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6305 posts
2807 upvotes
Debtario
iverson wrote: MSI Tomahawk is rated better for vrm than this board. Can you get it for $140? Or seen it on sale before?
I derped, was looking at the B450 boards. Looks like B550 are all over $200 at the moment.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4782 posts
2228 upvotes
GTA
Wonder why gigabyte isn't including a free 750w exploding psu with this...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5508 posts
3035 upvotes
West Vancouver
shabby wrote: Wonder why gigabyte isn't including a free 750w exploding psu with this...
I have a 750w gigabyte psu.

Is there something i should know ? Lol