[Amazon.ca] Google Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (set of 3) - $299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 11:46 am
[OP]
Aug 25, 2013
324 posts
357 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Google Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (set of 3) - $299.99

Google mesh is on sale for 299.99, its lowest according to CCC. Don't forget GCR/Ebates.
https://www.amazon.ca/Google-Whole-Wi-F ... B01MAW2294
Gmesh.jpg
15 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2484 posts
1342 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks op. It's been this price in the past but no one owns the time machines yet.

Friendly note for people. This is the OLD model. BUT this unit offer backhaul on the satellite units. They can be configured as wan or lan ports. This ISN'T found on the new one.

I own and nest wifi from bf and its trash without it. My gigabit internet barely gets an uplift from the main router. If coverage is your problem AND you want full speed of what you pay, do yourself a favor and get something that has a wan port on the satellite units. I can now get 500mb/s off the satellite units compared to 70-80 mb/s without wan connection.

Merry Christmas
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1734 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto
vinnie1990 wrote: Thanks op. It's been this price in the past but no one owns the time machines yet.

Friendly note for people. This is the OLD model. BUT this unit offer backhaul on the satellite units. They can be configured as wan or lan ports. This ISN'T found on the new one.

I own and nest wifi from bf and its trash without it. My gigabit internet barely gets an uplift from the main router. If coverage is your problem AND you want full speed of what you pay, do yourself a favor and get something that has a wan port on the satellite units. I can now get 500mb/s off the satellite units compared to 70-80 mb/s without wan connection.

Merry Christmas
Just to clarify, does this mean that you are connecting your satelite units together via an ethernet cable?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2484 posts
1342 upvotes
Mississauga
VertigoM wrote: Just to clarify, does this mean that you are connecting your satelite units together via an ethernet cable?
Correct. Both work without it but I found a significant drop in speed. I'm hoping to test out the powerline ethernet stuff to see if that works since my brother won't be able to get ethernet cables in the rooms he need. Not sure what the performance will be like
Vinh
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1488 posts
319 upvotes
I got these for my parents last year and have one on each floor and they have been working great with no complaints. Solid mesh system.
Jan 31, 2008
639 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
vinnie1990 wrote: Correct. Both work without it but I found a significant drop in speed. I'm hoping to test out the powerline ethernet stuff to see if that works since my brother won't be able to get ethernet cables in the rooms he need. Not sure what the performance will be like
If you're on gigabit internet, you're being bottlenecked by the wifi router/mesh.
the google seems to be running on ac2200 (main router only) while the point wifi is only on 1200.
I also don't think they have their own dedicated communication network like the netgear Orbi, which also slows down the network.

I'd suggest going with something like the netgear orbi RBK50. (AC3000 with dedicated communication between satellites).
Been using this for 2 years and it's been solid.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2484 posts
1342 upvotes
Mississauga
lilpoorpk wrote: If you're on gigabit internet, you're being bottlenecked by the wifi router/mesh.
the google seems to be running on ac2200 (main router only) while the point wifi is only on 1200.
I also don't think they have their own dedicated communication network like the netgear Orbi, which also slows down the network.

I'd suggest going with something like the netgear orbi RBK50. (AC3000 with dedicated communication between satellites).
Can you connect the satellite with wan? I thought they are all outbound Lan ports? I really like the rbk50 or 53 model but I was hesitant because I can't find anything that says I can connect an ethernet wan to it for higher speed? Mind sharing how you did it?
Vinh
Oct 21, 2009
746 posts
660 upvotes
lilpoorpk wrote: If you're on gigabit internet, you're being bottlenecked by the wifi router/mesh.

Which is also on sale at $380: https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-Orbi-Home ... B01LY964U3
Jan 31, 2008
639 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
vinnie1990 wrote: Can you connect the satellite with wan? I thought they are all outbound Lan ports? I really like the rbk50 or 53 model but I was hesitant because I can't find anything that says I can connect an ethernet wan to it for higher speed? Mind sharing how you did it?
They don’t have an Ethernet-in on the satellite, but the orbi uses a 3rd wireless signal to communicate and doesn’t interfere with the usual 2Ghz and 5ghz channels.
So far it’s been working well for me, but I’m only on the 500u Rogers. I was never getting 1Gb from Rogers when I tried (direct from their own modem) so I opted for the 500.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2484 posts
1342 upvotes
Mississauga
lilpoorpk wrote: They don’t have an Ethernet-in on the satellite, but the orbi uses a 3rd wireless signal to communicate and doesn’t interfere with the usual 2Ghz and 5ghz channels.
So far it’s been working well for me, but I’m only on the 500u Rogers. I was never getting 1Gb from Rogers when I tried (direct from their own modem) so I opted for the 500.
What speeds are you getting (and roughly was distance or floors in between)?
Vinh
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10219 posts
2625 upvotes
Winnipeg

depends what the clients can do. You'll be lucky with 500 mbps over wifi whether you use a triband backhaul or cord. Its standard procedure for handhelds to throttle down to save power and to hit gigabit wifi, that's drains cleint power too quickly. A little beyond what your battery can provide long enough to merit its use vs lowering it to your tyical 2x2 spatial and 80mhz.You want +866 ac wifi you need 3x3 or 4x4 160mhz and your not doing that thru a wall reliably nor for great distance its all a gimmick to sell and best left to negotiate between nodes vs actual clients. Those ratings liek ac2200 ac2600 are numbers adding up when using 160mhz and more spatial streams including 2.4ghz with spatial streams 3x3 even 4x4 and 1024 qam etc to hit 600mbps not shared by most clients etc.

2x2 spatial stream at 80mhz thats the reliable going rate at acceptable distance and penetration for ac wifi.

I am not a fan of any mesh that doesn't support "bridged mode"(not to be confused with bridge mode for modem). Which allows you to use your own router for dhcp and routing duties and still support mesh.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
18462 posts
6190 upvotes
Toronto
Same price everywhere, Walmart had it for $299 for a few days at least.

Just went with the $380 Ac2200
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Mar 14, 2006
443 posts
90 upvotes
Vancouver
Alkoholik wrote: No ethernet ports on new one I believe.
Google Wifi (Old Ones) pucks were all the same and so they all had the WAN/LAN ports and they were interchangeable as a router or mesh point.

Nest Wifi (New Ones) are now 2 different things, the router itself (similar to the old Google Wifi pucks) and the end points which are essentially remote Google Minis that doubled as mesh points (so no ethernet ports).

Probably the best thing to get is the Nest Wifi router only packs if you want to have ethernet ports on all points (but won't have the speakers at the end points), I believe Amazon sells these as they don't sell any competitors to their Echo products (which are the Nest wifi end points).

Also the Nest Wifi went away with the USB-C power adapters and are using proprietary ones now which some people are upset about.

Also everything is done through the Google Home App (or use the older Google Wifi app). I find it a little lacking (such as say no DDNS support built-in, really Google?) but perfect for less techy people as it is really easy to setup.
Jan 31, 2008
639 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
vinnie1990 wrote: What speeds are you getting (and roughly was distance or floors in between)?
I bought this from US Costco, where it came with the router and 2 satellites. I have one on each floor (10ft ceilings). About 1k sqft+ each floor.
I have coverage everywhere from backyard to front yard, basement, garage, etc. no issues.
I did have an issue with one of the satellites before, where it wasn't able to communicate back with the base router, but it fixed itself. I wouldn't have noticed it, but I looked at the app one day and saw the status. so don't know how long it was having that communication issue for...
The app itself isn't that great, but for my purpose it's okay and I can live with it.
If you're an advanced user, the orbi may not be sufficient for you (if you need customizations, etc. like split 2.4 and 5 signals...the orbi combines it and it's not open for customizations)

I haven't ran speed tests anymore, except when I first started this setup/changed internets.
Each time I tested (although very short tests) the speeds were max/as advertised as per my internet (tried 500u and Gb, but I was having issues with Gb with the modem, so downgraded immediately). I downgraded to 300u now and haven't had the need to run any speedtests since I don't feel any slowdowns or issues.

YMMV. I think it's main target are general users who just want coverage and speed (does not really support network drives, but there's ways around that). Not for advanced networking.