• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 5:05 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2011
211 posts
133 upvotes
Pickering, ON

[Amazon.ca] GOOLOO 1500A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter

GOOLOO 1500A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter on sale for $110 minus a $25 coupon. Also, no tax charged!

Please note, sold by GOOLOO and fulfilled by Amazon.

Tom
57 replies
Jul 21, 2016
660 posts
1099 upvotes
This company name stupidly reminded me of this video..
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  / \
   | |
  _/ ¯ \_
🆁🅴🅳 🅵🅻🅰🅶 🅳🅴🅰🅻🆂
Nov 21, 2014
822 posts
893 upvotes
Atlantic
lifeisfuneh wrote: Test in cold weather
Pretty sure this is not the intended use of the Gooloo. It is not meant to start a car by itself but in conjunction with the existing conventional battery.
Dec 18, 2005
733 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
lifeisfuneh wrote: Test in cold weather

I've got something similar to this. Though I paid much less, it's also an 800A peak model. It works well to start a car that won't turn over, with a battery in place. I sometimes need to try 2 to 3 times, but it seems the battery gets a little charge after each attempt and that helps out the process. This was during the "polar vortex" period when it was -30 in Montreal, and the booster was in the glove box. It worked fine for my 2006 Nissan Murano, with a V6 engine.

TL;DR: if you use it for it's intended use (with a battery connected), it works just fine (even in the cold).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5045 posts
1912 upvotes
EasyCompany251 wrote: Pretty sure this is not the intended use of the Gooloo. It is not meant to start a car by itself but in conjunction with the existing conventional battery.
Well, if the battery is completely dead it will make no difference.
Problem is that if you keep it in the car for emergency use and temps are below -20C it will not help you.
It's great if you keep it home but in that case this is over priced gadget that will get thrown away in couple years when the internal battery dies.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2228 posts
857 upvotes
Quebec
lifeisfuneh wrote: Well, if the battery is completely dead it will make no difference.
Problem is that if you keep it in the car for emergency use and temps are below -20C it will not help you.
It's great if you keep it home but in that case this is over priced gadget that will get thrown away in couple years when the internal battery dies.
Wondering to buy it or not for emergency car booster
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5045 posts
1912 upvotes
dhomas wrote: I've got something similar to this. Though I paid much less, it's also an 800A peak model. It works well to start a car that won't turn over, with a battery in place. I sometimes need to try 2 to 3 times, but it seems the battery gets a little charge after each attempt and that helps out the process. This was during the "polar vortex" period when it was -30 in Montreal, and the booster was in the glove box. It worked fine for my 2006 Nissan Murano, with a V6 engine.

TL;DR: if you use it for it's intended use (with a battery connected), it works just fine (even in the cold).
I'm pretty sure that you did not keep the booster in car for long period of time before using it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5045 posts
1912 upvotes
ratatapa wrote: Wondering to buy it or not for emergency car booster
If you keep the booster charged and in warm place it will work fine.
Don't expect it to help you if you store it in the car in sub zero temperatures.
Dec 18, 2005
733 posts
649 upvotes
Montreal
lifeisfuneh wrote: I'm pretty sure that you did not keep the booster in car for long period of time before using it.
I keep it in the car at all times. It's in the center console (though I did say glove box earlier), so it keeps a little warmer there. I also have a car shelter (a "Tempo", as we know them here in Quebec) which may help. In any case, it's a bit of extra security so I don't need to rely exclusively on roadside assistance, though it won't replace roadside assistance. I used it almost daily last winter since I had an old battery. I haven't needed to use it yet this year with the new battery.
Apr 7, 2008
270 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
dhomas wrote: I've got something similar to this. Though I paid much less, it's also an 800A peak model. It works well to start a car that won't turn over, with a battery in place. I sometimes need to try 2 to 3 times, but it seems the battery gets a little charge after each attempt and that helps out the process. This was during the "polar vortex" period when it was -30 in Montreal, and the booster was in the glove box. It worked fine for my 2006 Nissan Murano, with a V6 engine
I purchased the same 800A one in 2017 and leave it in my trunk all year long parked outside all winter. Used it 2x on 2 neighbors cars last winter and worked perfectly after 2-3 tries. 1 car wasn't used for 2 months, left in a garage where it would be impossible to boost with another car, and it worked in the polar vortex. Just used it again last week for a friend's Cadillac STS. The battery had been sitting in my car trunk for a year unused and I wasnt sure it would work. Worked after 3-4x with boost. So far so good.
Sep 8, 2019
79 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary
lifeisfuneh wrote: Well, if the battery is completely dead it will make no difference.
100% incorrect.

I have the GB40 1000A one and I have started many, many cars on the jobsite over the last week's deep freeze in Calgary (-30 all week, even less with windchill) on a single charge.

If your battery is completely completely dead, of course it won't do a thing. That's why you don't into winter with old dying batteries.

But if your battery is still in good condition but something made it drop below the point where the car won't turnover anymore (too many short drives in a city where the battery didn’t recharged enough; left the interior or exterior lights on for too long with engine shut off; radio played for a minute before you got out; or all of the above), this thing will start the car no problem.

I also keep it at home over night. Better to have one frozen battery instead of two.
Last edited by jerrypaulick on Jan 19th, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5045 posts
1912 upvotes
jerrypaulick wrote: 100% incorrect.

I have the Genius one and I have started many, many cars on the jobsite over the last week's deep freeze in Calgary (-30 all week, even less with windchill) on a single charge.

If your battery is completely completely dead, of course it won't do a thing. That's why you don't into winter with old dying batteries.

But if your battery is still in good condition but something made it drop below the point where the car won't turnover anymore (too many short drives in a city where the battery didn’t recharged enough; left the interior or exterior lights on for too long with engine shut off; radio played for a minute before you got out; or all of the above), this thing will start the car no problem.
It did work because your booster pack wasn't cold. Yes, if you keep it warm it will work battery connected or not.

Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2054 posts
1802 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Does anyone know what cells are in this jumper pack? Are they flat cells or cylinder? If latter then what size are they??

With cylinder cells it is not hard to rebuild yourself by soldering out the old cells and getting a cheap tester/charger to see which cell is not balanced.

EDIT:

If you left the charger overnight or for days in the car in -20C then you may want to stick it in your pocket and wait 30mins for it to warm up. Like maybe walk around for 30mins to keep yourself warm while warming the pack up if you're out in the middle of nowhere or parking lot with no Timmie's close by.
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Dec 11, 2008
82 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
I would think that this is of limited use, especially If you can't boost a dead battery in the winter with this.
Sure, not everyone who has a dead or weak battery, in the winter, is parked outside but I would think that you would want something that could work in the cold.

Canadian Tire often has sales on 600A-1000A multiuse boosters for $100 or less, which work in the cold.

It sucks to be stuck somewhere, with a dead battery, waiting for hours, in a cold car, for CAA to show up.
Been there, done that. :-)