Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Gooloo S4 4-Amp car battery charger, maintainer, & desulfator, $40 after coupon (Prime one day)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2022 4:25 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1534 posts
1727 upvotes
GTA
So… don’t get this unit?
Dec 30, 2010
98 posts
4 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I'm not getting why you need a 12V supply if you have the battery still connected.., Can't you verify that the battery is fully charged and functional before you start installing the tune files?
German engineering. Install can take a while depending on the cable. It's mostly one of the modules is really sensitive to voltage and it's common to brick itself from voltage fluctuations during flashing.

I'm just unsure with all the steps in these chargers if that would suffice.

Best bet would be good ol jumper cable to a different running car
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
blostorm wrote: German engineering. Install can take a while depending on the cable. It's mostly one of the modules is really sensitive to voltage and it's common to brick itself from voltage fluctuations during flashing.

Ahh...

I wouldn't get a cheap one then as you don't know how smooth the power is. You should look for a dedicated bench power supply as those will give you smooth power.
Jan 5, 2007
327 posts
140 upvotes
Vancouver
blostorm wrote: German engineering. Install can take a while depending on the cable. It's mostly one of the modules is really sensitive to voltage and it's common to brick itself from voltage fluctuations during flashing.

Let me guess, you have a BMW and watched this video?
Dec 30, 2010
98 posts
4 upvotes
major153 wrote: Let me guess, you have a BMW and watched this video?
BMW yes. But didn't watch. Leaning towards the Noco since the G70 I got in the override mode cranked a cold diesel with no battery on the second crank cycle (push start).

Got a tl;dr of video ?
Apr 23, 2020
125 posts
60 upvotes
craftsman wrote: You can but the 8A unit doesn't have a few features that might be useful. Plus some of the reviews for the 8A unit were less than impressive so pass...
Just totally for learning purposes, what type of features should I be looking at that might be missing? Would it be the smart features the 1.5a maintainer has that the 8 (running on 2) wouldn't?
I noticed the Schumacher 1302 doesn't really have much adjustments really i imagine it just automatically does everything?
May 5, 2010
96 posts
24 upvotes
Wainwright
So.. would this be ok to use to trickle charge my 07 Lexus GS350? Im a little confused with all these different types of chargers LOL!
I have my car sitting for the summer
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Slono wrote: So… don’t get this unit?
I'll refer back to my original statement "Hard pass!"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
logitvx wrote: Just totally for learning purposes, what type of features should I be looking at that might be missing? Would it be the smart features the 1.5a maintainer has that the 8 (running on 2) wouldn't?
I noticed the Schumacher 1302 doesn't really have much adjustments really i imagine it just automatically does everything?
The Schumacher 1302 is basically a set-and-forget type of thing which is great for some people and for certain situations. The "automatic" portion is what I typically have issues with as you are basically trusting that the designers actually do what their marketing folks says. I'm not saying that's a bad thing for certain people as many people I know don't want to know anything more than Green light means "done" and Red light means "not yet".

The Motormaster 1.5A unit gives you options besides purely automatic which is a good thing and it may be built better for the Canadian Winters which is a bonus as you want one that works well in cold weather especially when it comes to the wiring.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rawdop3 wrote: So.. would this be ok to use to trickle charge my 07 Lexus GS350? Im a little confused with all these different types of chargers LOL!
I have my car sitting for the summer
I'll refer back to my previous statement - "Hard pass!"
May 5, 2010
96 posts
24 upvotes
Wainwright
craftsman wrote: I'll refer back to my previous statement - "Hard pass!"
Thanks! skipped out on it and ordered the Motomaster one you recommended a couple of posts back. Might as well use my Cdn Tire money lol!
May 24, 2012
255 posts
327 upvotes
Gatineau, Qc
craftsman wrote: Hard pass!

Why?

Simple - features that are listed in the ad are not listed in the manual. Things like desulfating isn't even mentioned in the manual and that makes me wonder what else is missing.
Yup. Bought one and it says nothing in the manual about half of the stuff on the Amazon ad. That sucks big time. Going back as "not as described".
Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l’esprit
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zatoitche wrote: Yup. Bought one and it says nothing in the manual about half of the stuff on the Amazon ad. That sucks big time. Going back as "not as described".
Before you send it back, contact the seller. With many of these 3rd party sellers, they will just refund you your purchase price rather than having you return it to Amazon as it may be cheaper for them in the long run.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13337 posts
2567 upvotes
Toronto
These are unsafe if used in a non heated garage. The cords become brittle in the cold and break off. I had a similar one and it exploded.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
trixstar wrote: These are unsafe if used in a non heated garage. The cords become brittle in the cold and break off. I had a similar one and it exploded.
Any charger not rated for cold temperatures will do the same thing. Check the cord to see what the cord is rated at. If there is no indication on the cord, assume that it's really only good for temps above 0C.
Mar 9, 2012
237 posts
223 upvotes
Richmond
craftsman wrote:
A decent battery maintainer type charger would be the Motormaster 1.5A Precision charger (https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moto ... p.html#plp) when it goes on sale for 20% off (like now until tomorrow). Being a low current charger, if the battery is drained, it could take two to three days to fully charge the battery again depending on the size and the condition of the battery. Any 'smart' charger doesn't do well if the battery is drained as the smart chargers need to detect some voltage on the battery before starting to charge - if it detects nothing, it assumes that nothing is there and won't start the charging process. Some chargers can override that feature or you can just do a quick jump and then like the charger take over as the jump will give the battery just enough power to be detected by the smart charger.
So I was looking for a battery maintainer for my other car that doesn't get driven for more than 9 months. I saw one from battery tender. That looks exactly like one of my household 12V power supply that came with an electronic toy. So I connected that toy's power supply to the car batterySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat. The car battery was fully charged previously. The current started out around 300mA. The final current floating into the car battery was around 150mA. That is probably how much the vehicle's auxiliary and battery self discharge are drawing.

After 3 months I checked again, and everything still seems to be normal. I can start up the car no problem. Usually if I don't disconnect the battery, it would have been completely drained. I will probably check again in 6 months time. Anyone see anything wrong with my Ghetto battery maintainer setup?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14970 posts
5946 upvotes
RFD
Is this one of those smart chargers that won't charge a car battery if it dropped under a certain voltage? Can anyone recommend a "dumb" charger that can charge a really depleted battery?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
evilcookiemonster wrote: So I was looking for a battery maintainer for my other car that doesn't get driven for more than 9 months. I saw one from battery tender. That looks exactly like one of my household 12V power supply that came with an electronic toy. So I connected that toy's power supply to the car batterySmiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat. The car battery was fully charged previously. The current started out around 300mA. The final current floating into the car battery was around 150mA. That is probably how much the vehicle's auxiliary and battery self discharge are drawing.

After 3 months I checked again, and everything still seems to be normal. I can start up the car no problem. Usually if I don't disconnect the battery, it would have been completely drained. I will probably check again in 6 months time. Anyone see anything wrong with my Ghetto battery maintainer setup?
You can. However, a constant float charge has been known to cook a battery as some of these chargers have been known to fail so that the charging voltage is higher than expected.

If you are going to do this, hook the tender up to an appliance timer and run it for a few hours a week. Also, check the battery's fluid levels and top them off regularly.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20031 posts
13268 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
radeonboy wrote: Is this one of those smart chargers that won't charge a car battery if it dropped under a certain voltage? Can anyone recommend a "dumb" charger that can charge a really depleted battery?
You can use a cheap float charger to get a small charge into the battery first.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)